Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-10-2010, 09:24 AM   #121
Full time employment: Posting here.

We just booked a winter getaway to Maui with another couple. We were there 12 years ago, but this will be their first trip to Hawaii. We're looking forward to a brief escape from Ol' Man Winter

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2010, 09:28 AM   #122
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeritus View Post
We will see how it goes in October. We have an apartment in Rome for 10 days.
We are flying to Rome today for a week, then on north for another 3 weeks.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:13 AM   #123

Vegas later this month, then PV for two weeks in November.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:17 AM   #124

Planning to climb Borah Peak by the southwest ridge route today and tomorrow. If I don't post back here by Sunday midnight, someone please send the cavalry.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:24 AM   #125
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Looks like we'd save a few steps by skipping the cavalry and sending up a recovery team:
Quote:
Three climbers have died on Borah Peak. Two climbers ascending the northwest ridge in 1977 were killed in an avalanche. Another climber in 1987 lost his life on a glissade during descent.
You hang in there...

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:03 AM   #126
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The people who post to this travel thread about frequent luxurious trips must be drawn from a different set from the people who post moderate invested assets and modest expenses on other threads, and those who are trying to wring the last penny from their food budget.

I am always confused about this.

Ha
Old 09-10-2010, 11:18 AM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
The people who post to this travel thread about frequent luxurious trips must be drawn from a different set from the people who post moderate invested assets and modest expenses on other threads, and those who are trying to wring the last penny from their food budget.

Ha
I guess "Financially Independent" means different things to different people. DW and I are basically frugal me more so than she, however we budget for and look forward to traveling. I don't think those posting here are all that different than the budget conscious, perhaps just different spending priorities.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:22 AM   #128
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Ha
I'll be strolling around Land's End today without a cruise ship, will eat out all meals; that's luxury enough for me. As jimnjana says, it's all about priorities and deciding how to use resources.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnjana View Post
I guess "Financially Independent" means different things to different people. DW and I are basically frugal me more so than she, however we budget for and look forward to traveling. I don't think those posting here are all that different than the budget conscious, perhaps just different spending priorities.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:31 AM   #129
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Ha
See the USA in your Chevrolet - taking my 06 Equinox for a 2-3 wk trip out to the rain forest west of Port Angeles, WA in a week or so to visit Sis and BIL recently retired - no particular route just driving that direction til I get there.

heh heh heh - won't sleep in rest stops but will look for cheap motels. .
Old 09-10-2010, 11:36 AM   #130
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
See the USA in your Chevrolet - taking my 06 Equinox for a 2-3 wk trip out to the rain forest west of Port Angeles, WA in a week or so to visit Sis and BIL recently retired - no particular route just driving that direction til I get there.

If you stop in Seattle give me a call. I'll even stand you to a coffee and Top Pot donut.

Ha
Old 09-10-2010, 12:06 PM   #131
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Different priorities I guess. Our core expenses right now are running $21000 a year or so (for a family of 4 not including our to be paid off mortgage). I'm guessing we will spend $12000 a year or so on traveling during ER once we have more time and aren't working. In other words a huge proportion of our ER budget will be travel. Unless/until we get tired of it. Now, $12000 a year won't buy a lot of luxury for four of us, but it will take us a long ways to some interesting places.

I guess there are plenty of people on here who spend over $10,000 a year on other interests/hobbies. Like McMansions, RV's, airplanes, boats, etc. Gotta have something to do to answer the question "whaddya do all day"...
Old 09-10-2010, 12:22 PM   #132
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
I'll be strolling around Land's End today without a cruise ship, will eat out all meals; that's luxury enough for me.
Hey..I have a trip planned today. I'm gonna go to the liquor store and stock up.

I make this trip at least twice a year...I have to drive 30 minutes for the 'hard' stuff...stupid liquor laws.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:49 PM   #133
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If you stop in Seattle give me a call. I'll even stand you to a coffee and Top Pot donut.

Ha
Thanks. Will PM when I get there.

heh heh heh -
Old 09-10-2010, 01:47 PM   #134

Leaving for Canada on Sunday. Plan is to drive up from Texas, stopping as we go in motels, to our first place which is a rented house in Niagara-on-the-Lake, then off to Whitby and then to Georgian Bay.

This is a family re-union of DW's with 18 1st cousins from Canada, England and Scotland. The week in Georgian Bay is just ourselves and our son who will be flying up.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:57 PM   #135
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Ha
If it's any consolation, I won't be taking any expensive vacations this year...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 02:29 PM   #136

DW and I finally agreed to go down to the Florida Keys for a few days next Monday. We will be staying at Hawks Cay and then will move around the state a little and explore. I'll let everyone know how we enjoy Hawks Cay and any other adventures we run into.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:33 PM   #137
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
If it's any consolation, I won't be taking any expensive vacations this year...
Thanks, that is a comfort to me.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:35 PM   #138
Recycles dryer sheets

Plan on renting a couple of Harleys in Arizona/NV with my brother and drive! The Costa Rica, for the holidays.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:36 AM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post

Have you been to Hurricane Ridge? I've been there twice, the last time being a month ago. I plan to go back and do some serious hiking. It is incredibly beautiful.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:58 AM   #140
Recycles dryer sheets

I collect Hard Rock Cafe guitar pins and have about 50 of them from all over the world and the US. I have 4 days off in October and have based a driving trip on picking up some of the gaps in my collection: Nashville-Cleveland-Niagara-Toronto-Detroit-Chicago-St Louis-Nashville. It remains to be seen whether I have any time for actual sightseeing...