Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-26-2014, 09:57 PM   #1481
Recycles dryer sheets

Went to Louisiana for a 4 day get-away, it was a profitable trip. Won enough to get my driveway repaved, buy a TV, get the sprinkler fix, put some in savings, make a charitable donation and have money for my next trip. I won't need to touch my savings, yay!

image-226459494.jpg

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2014, 11:29 AM   #1482
Full time employment: Posting here.

We are going to Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Phoenix, Tuscon, and Las Cruces in October....very excited as this is also a scouting trip to find our new home in the next 3 years

Old 05-29-2014, 11:39 AM   #1483
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
Went to Louisiana for a 4 day get-away, it was a profitable trip. Won enough to get my driveway repaved, buy a TV, get the sprinkler fix, put some in savings, make a charitable donation and have money for my next trip. I won't need to touch my savings, yay!

Attachment 19060
Will you please elaborate on your secret gambling tactics?
Old 05-29-2014, 08:45 PM   #1484
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post

Will you please elaborate on your secret gambling tactics?
Pure luck! My "hobby" is part of my budget and funded after bills, savings etc. I took a big chance this time and played a slot that had multi-denominations, $5, $10, $25. I stuck with the $5 and occasionally went for the $10 and in error hit the $25 bet and won both times. I usually play penny machines so my money will last, as this is only entertainment for me. I don't expect to win. Luck, much appreciated luck. A turtle walked on the wet cement today, and the TV is in place.

image-1518579116.jpg.

image-2344886163.jpg
Old 05-30-2014, 06:46 AM   #1485

We are going tomstay in Point Arena, CA in July. I would appreciate any suggestions anyone has about what to see, do, eat, etc.
Old 05-31-2014, 06:30 AM   #1486
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Heading back to West Vancouver today for some relief from the heat. Right now it is 86 and 85 on our patio at 7:30 before the sun rises.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:34 AM   #1487
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
... A turtle walked on the wet cement today...
Has that turtle been turned into soup yet?
Old 06-01-2014, 04:06 PM   #1488
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Has that turtle been turned into soup yet?
LOL, no I had it relocated instead of repurposed. :-)
Old 06-09-2014, 01:48 AM   #1489

We are taking an Alaskan cruise and Canadian Rockies rail tour in July. I'm so looking forward to this for many reasons. When I get back I will have less than 2 months to go until ER!
Old 06-09-2014, 04:42 AM   #1490

DW wants to visit each of the states after she retires. I'm planning a circle Lake Michigan tour for starters, with most the time spent in Mackinac Island and Door County, Wi
Old 06-09-2014, 12:20 PM   #1491

We are considering a trip to Machu Picchu and The Galapagos Islands in November. They are both bucket list items. Any comments?
Old 06-09-2014, 03:00 PM   #1492

Machu picchu is great but I wouldn't do the hike on the inca trail if you are short of time or you are not in good shape and prepared for some fairly strenuous days.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:05 PM   #1493

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
We are considering a trip to Machu Picchu and The Galapagos Islands in November. They are both bucket list items. Any comments?
I am seriously jealous of the Galapagos trip which is definitely a bucket item for me.

Machu Picchu frightens me since I have experience altitude sickness in the Colorado Rockies.

You did say: Any comments?

Seriously, one comment that I have heard repeatedly: Do not try to combine a Galapagos trip with anything else to save time / money.
  • You run the risk of being too tired to fully enjoy everything if you try and cram too much into a short time.
  • Traveling in Peru and Ecuador still seems to be more challenging than in Mexico.
Please remember to update us with any pointers you pick up.

I am wishing you safe and enjoyable travels.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:14 PM   #1494

Quote:
This is our next adventure travel plan, it has been said to do MP first, and than GI, most GI travel is on a ship/yacht and may be a little less strenuous. A friend just did it last month, since we hike at 8000 ft and live at 4500 ft, he felt like it would be no big deal for us.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:12 PM   #1495

Thanks for the feedback. The MP portion involves taking the train from Cusco. But I am concerned about the altitude. I have a touch of COPD and I did get tried easily in Guanajuato (7000 feet). I do hike regularly for 5km and have climbed 320 meters on some of the walks. But those are all sea level. I know there are pills for altitude sickness. I did get altitude sickness in Big Sky and on a plane so I am not immune.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:40 PM   #1496

Quote:
Both are amazing! November could be iffy (weather wise), but there are certainly less tourists. If you have trouble with altitudes than when you get off the plane in Cusco head directly to the Sacred Valley to overnight and hit Cusco on the way back, when you have had a chance to acclimatize.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:47 PM   #1497
Recycles dryer sheets

My wife and I did MP a couple years ago. A few days in Cusco, followed by a couple of nights at the Tambo Del Inca hotel in Urubamba. The Tambo was a major splurge, but man, it was transplendant AND it had it's own railway station for the trip to Aguas Calientes at the foot of MP. I too was concerned about the elevation, but with the help of coca tea I didn't find it bad at all. A top 5 trip for sure.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:22 PM   #1498

It is the beginning of winter here in Lima and summer in the Andes. A few years ago we took the train to Huancayo and next month we are celebrating Independence day by going to the high jungle. We plan to visit with friends in Oxapampa (have a Dairy farm) and then head a few hours further into the jungle to see the Tyrolean community Prusia-Pozuzo. Several hours hike further in a friend who went back to Maryland has a Coffee plantation that he wants to unload cheap and I may buy it to produce Coffee for a joint I am thinking about opening in the States.
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/5sxuw4hlg...CnjcGvhs7KwZga
Old 06-11-2014, 09:02 PM   #1499
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

No suggestions on Machu Picchu but it's on my bucket list too.

As for my big travel plans, we're heading out on a month-long 2300 mile road trip from Raleigh, NC to Canada and back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg canada-route.jpg (89.8 KB, 16 views)
Old 06-12-2014, 10:06 AM   #1500
Dryer sheet aficionado

We just came back from Portland, Or and loved it.

Going to NYC next weekend again, then its Washington DC on the 4th of july, Dubai/India in August, san francisco in September, potentially vegas also in september, new orleans in october and then india again in november.

Most of these are weekend + 1 day trips except for the intl ones which are about a week each.