Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-16-2014, 07:39 PM   #1641
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
I've wanted to visit Salzburg since reading The Salzburg Connection many years ago. Lots of spies in those parts.
Wow - I never thought of that. Maria Von Trapp, the Sound of Music, Mozart, wealthy prince-archbishops, even Charlemagne and religious institutions dating from the 700s. But spies? Hmmm - that book sounds interesting.

BTW, the legend in Hallstatt, which is on the Hallstatter See, is that a bunch of medals, etc. were through in the lake after 1945 - no one wanted to be seen with their Nazi "paraphernalia".

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2014, 07:47 PM   #1642
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It's also the home of Red Bull.

Old 08-16-2014, 07:52 PM   #1643
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
It's also the home of Red Bull.
No wonder I keep seeing it mentioned!!!!
Old 08-17-2014, 08:21 AM   #1644
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We are taking the ferry to Nanaimo and heading for Rathtrevor Beach for the first time in 5 years. We love searching in the sand when the tide is out for sand dollars and geoducks. We rented an oceanfront condo.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:06 AM   #1645
Recycles dryer sheets

That sounds great Keith. Too bad the low tides aren't especially low right now - but hopefully low enough you can still find some critters.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:58 AM   #1646
Dryer sheet wannabe

73ss454...Be sure and post after your Fl trip heading there myself so will be interested in reading your experience. I love the sun, music, beach....hope to find lots of that.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:59 AM   #1647
Dryer sheet wannabe

will be anxious to read about the Marathon Key FL trip, please post. thanks
Old 08-24-2014, 12:07 PM   #1648

Just finalized our trip in Sept/Oct. Vienna, Budapest, Prague. Then Malta. Then Sicily. Then one week not yet planned. Eight day cruise from Rome-Barcelona, then home the first week of November.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:28 PM   #1649
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
Just finalized our trip in Sept/Oct. Vienna, Budapest, Prague. Then Malta. Then Sicily. Then one week not yet planned. Eight day cruise from Rome-Barcelona, then home the first week of November.
Sounds wonderful!
Old 08-24-2014, 07:19 PM   #1650

Planning a hiking trip to Havasu falls in Arizona. 8 miles from the trailhead downhill to the lodge(only accessible by horse or helicopter). Check in to the lodge, then hike to 3 sets of falls and back to the lodge(another 6 miles). Spend the night in the lodge, and hike back up to the trailhead the next morning.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-24-2014, 07:43 PM   #1651

Heading out to Sequoia for 4 days tomorrow after my Italian class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post

We did a Vienna/Budapest trip about 14 years ago - took a ferry up the Danube between them. I was so amazed at how cheap Budapest was. I think we spent $7 for a weeklong transit pass (buses, trams, streetcars all included.) We decided to have a fancy dinner and had a hard time spending more than $20. Even our hotel - which was on the Danube and had views of Parliament and Chain bridge was cheap. This was a welcome change after Vienna - where everything was pricey.

Where are you going in Sicily? I've been there a few times and it is a wonderful place to visit. If you're going to Palermo make sure you go to Monreale for the mosaic frescos. I love all the baroque towns on the southern part of the Island. Make sure you eat couscous con Pesce - one of the best foods I've ever had. It's on available on the Northwest part of Sicily - from Palermo down to Agrigento. Oh - and make sure you try Granita e Brioche. Locals have this for breakfast/lunch/brunch as a light meal that is refreshing.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:29 AM   #1652
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
We did a Vienna/Budapest trip about 14 years ago - took a ferry up the Danube between them. I was so amazed at how cheap Budapest was. I think we spent $7 for a weeklong transit pass (buses, trams, streetcars all included.) We decided to have a fancy dinner and had a hard time spending more than $20. Even our hotel - which was on the Danube and had views of Parliament and Chain bridge was cheap. This was a welcome change after Vienna - where everything was pricey.
Budapest is still the best value in European city travel. And what a magnificent city it is!

Budapest 'cheapest' for city breaks as holiday costs fall - Telegraph
Old 08-25-2014, 06:50 AM   #1653

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Budapest is still the best value in European city travel. And what a magnificent city it is!
+1

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:10 AM   #1654
Dryer sheet wannabe

hey brett, those are some of my fav destinations. enjoy. I am jealous

btw I recently returned from Panama, CR, if anyone needs report on that, just ask.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:28 AM   #1655

DH is now within hollering distance of Moscow on his round trip from London to Mongolia! They will head from there to St. Petersburg and then down through Europe. After this trip, he will have the odd distinction of having driven from one end of Russia to the other (thanks to his drive from Mongolia through Siberia to Vladivostock last summer). Pretty cool!

https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php...353c5a2bda4850
On the map, you can go to "History" and show all to see their entire route thus far. I love the Spot Tracker, can you tell?

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:33 AM   #1656

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
DH is now within hollering distance of Moscow on his round trip from London to Mongolia! They will head from there to St. Petersburg and then down through Europe. After this trip, he will have the odd distinction of having driven from one end of Russia to the other (thanks to his drive from Mongolia through Siberia to Vladivostock last summer). Pretty cool!

https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php...353c5a2bda4850
On the map, you can go to "History" and show all to see their entire route thus far. I love the Spot Tracker, can you tell?
What an adventure! He is definitely enjoying his retirement!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:58 AM   #1657
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post

Budapest 'cheapest' for city breaks as holiday costs fall - Telegraph
+1. Just an amazing place.

Highly suggest a visit to the House of Terror museum for a moving history lesson: https://www.ricksteves.com/watch-rea...ouse-of-terror

Quote:
Illustrating the grim decades of Nazi and Communist repression, the museum is the former headquarters for the secret police of both the Nazi and Communist governments. The building's awning has the word TERROR cut out of it, and when the sun projects through these letters, it symbolizes the terror which was projected onto the Hungarian people for fifty years.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:03 AM   #1658
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
+1. Just an amazing place.

Highly suggest a visit to the House of Terror museum for a moving history lesson: https://www.ricksteves.com/watch-rea...ouse-of-terror

I agree. The House of Terror makes one appreciate democracy.

Afterwards, go to the Dohany Street Synagogue and visit the Jewish Museum. Ask if Maria is doing a guided tour. She is awesome.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-25-2014, 11:02 AM   #1659
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Kayaker View Post
That sounds great Keith. Too bad the low tides aren't especially low right now - but hopefully low enough you can still find some critters.
Here is a picture taken pre-dawn at low tide. Walking out 1 km and lots of sand dollars, crabs, geoducks, clams and shells.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1072_stitch.jpg (195.0 KB, 17 views)
Old 08-25-2014, 03:13 PM   #1660
Recycles dryer sheets

Very nice Keith!

I actually had my honeymoon on the east side of Vancouver Island. DW and I spent a lot of time walking out on the sandy flats at low tide. Nice change from our usual rock/gravel beaches of the Gulf Islands. Water is nice to swim in once the tide comes in over the warm sand!