Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-24-2014, 07:04 PM   #1741
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Looks like we'll have a day free in Atlanta next month.
Anyone have a good suggestion for an activity?
We did this a long time ago: You can go see where Scarlett O'Hara was "born": Visit the Margaret Mitchell House | Atlanta History Center

Or do a self tour of the Olympic park: Visitor Center | Centennial Olympic Park

Quote:
The Audio Walking Tour, which is downloadable via a smartphone, provides an opportunity for visitors to experience the Park at their convenience. At their own pace, visitors can enjoy and learn about Atlanta, Centennial Olympic Park and the continued legacy of the 1996 Olympic Games. This self-guided audio tour through the Park is packed with history, architecture, quirky trivia, original music and interviews. The walking tour begins and ends at the Parks Visitor Center and is an hour long loop.

Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2014, 10:57 AM   #1742
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Looks like we'll have a day free in Atlanta next month.
Anyone have a good suggestion for an activity?
Adding to the other ideas already posted..
When we have 1st time visitors to Atlanta we always take them to the
Dekalb Farmers Market at 3000 E Ponce De Leon Ave, Decatur, GA 30030

and the Varsity
at 61 N Ave NWAtlanta, GA 3030

Old 11-26-2014, 03:00 PM   #1743
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You might check this calendar for things to do on that day if you want to "geek out".

GT | Georgia Institute of Technology :: Campus Calendar - Month View
Old 11-26-2014, 06:48 PM   #1744
Recycles dryer sheets

The Atlanta aquarium is really great!
Old 11-26-2014, 07:12 PM   #1745
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We're planning a trip to Greece for late August 2015. This is a Rick Steves tour and we've never done a longish tour before. Looks fun and relieves us of the burden of making arrangements there.

Will fly nonstop to Zurich (11.5 hr flight). Then hop to Greece. After Greece we might fly to Amsterdam and do the Netherlands area on our own. Still pondering this stuff but the length of the trip will probably be a month or so.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:46 AM   #1746
Give me a forum ...

Thanks, everyone for the really good Atlanta suggestions!
Old 12-02-2014, 06:23 PM   #1747
Recycles dryer sheets

We just bought our tickets for Spain in late March/early April next year. So excited! We were able to get free tickets with FF miles. Will visit Sevilla, Granada, Barcelona, and Madrid for about 2.5 weeks. Our first visit to Spain.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:24 PM   #1748
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
We're planning a trip to Greece for late August 2015. This is a Rick Steves tour and we've never done a longish tour before. Looks fun and relieves us of the burden of making arrangements there.

Will fly nonstop to Zurich (11.5 hr flight). Then hop to Greece. After Greece we might fly to Amsterdam and do the Netherlands area on our own. Still pondering this stuff but the length of the trip will probably be a month or so.
This sounds great. We have not down a "tour" yet. I have been trying to get my husband to try one. He likes to travel alone (with me).
Old 12-02-2014, 06:29 PM   #1749
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellBarbara View Post
We just bought our tickets for Spain in late March/early April next year. So excited! We were able to get free tickets with FF miles. Will visit Sevilla, Granada, Barcelona, and Madrid for about 2.5 weeks. Our first visit to Spain.
We are planning this trip for 2016! I want a full report please!

We have three trips planned for the next six months, from the ridiculous to the sublime: Vegas, Cozumel, Japan.

Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 12:15 PM   #1750

Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada (frozen north) for 3 days over Christmas, then to beaches in Thailand and Malaysia for six weeks on New Years day.

Cannot wait.....for the beach and warm weather that is.
Old 12-03-2014, 12:29 PM   #1751
Give me a forum ...

Port Aransas in March. Also there is a gagle of ex-pats(refugees from Kansas, Winter Texans ?) we know near Mission TX we can visit/freeload off if the snow gets too much in KCK.

BUT! I think I have talked the wife out of doing a Russian river cruise given Valdimir and the Ukraine. Now Danube?, Rhine?, I've avoided research but I can't stall forever.

Any suggestions for spring/summer/fall on 'da river' somewhere.

heh heh heh - ya think a river cruise in the USA would cut it?
Old 12-03-2014, 02:27 PM   #1752
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
ya think a river cruise in the USA would cut it?
You bet! For a mere $1,000 a night, you can travel in style.

Mississippi River Paddlewheel Cruises on the Queen of the Mississippi

Seriously, I've heard these are fantastic experiences.
Old 12-03-2014, 03:27 PM   #1753
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Port Aransas in March. Also there is a gagle of ex-pats(refugees from Kansas, Winter Texans ?) we know near Mission TX we can visit/freeload off if the snow gets too much in KCK.

BUT! I think I have talked the wife out of doing a Russian river cruise given Valdimir and the Ukraine. Now Danube?, Rhine?, I've avoided research but I can't stall forever.

Any suggestions for spring/summer/fall on 'da river' somewhere.

heh heh heh - ya think a river cruise in the USA would cut it?
You could paddle down the Russian River here in Sonoma County. Or drive alongside it to the coast. Nice wineries too.
Old 12-03-2014, 03:44 PM   #1754
Give me a forum ...

Little decision help please.

I have never been to Europe. It is not (nor ever has been) on my list of things to do. Viking River Cruises has a "2 for 1" sale on their "Grand European Tour" sailings. I am, for some reason that escapes me, considering such foolishness.

My question: If you have allocated 15 days of your (entire) life to see Europe would this be a wise choice. If not, what alternative(s) would you suggest? (I am thinking in the $15,000 range but not locked in)

http://www.vikingrivercruises.com/cr...est/index.html
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 03:55 PM   #1755
Full time employment: Posting here.

Cruise to the southern Caribbean and Panama Canal for the first two weeks of next year to escape the Midwestern (USA) winter for a bit.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 04:27 PM   #1756
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolChange View Post
Cruise to the southern Caribbean and Panama Canal for the first two weeks of next year to escape the Midwestern (USA) winter for a bit.
A couple years ago, we took a MSC Cruise Lines sailing to the Southern Caribbean that included the ABC Islands, Panama Canal (up to that lake in the middle), and Costa Rico. I would do it again in a heart beat.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 04:31 PM   #1757

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Little decision help please.

I have never been to Europe. It is not (nor ever has been) on my list of things to do. Viking River Cruises has a "2 for 1" sale on their "Grand European Tour" sailings. I am, for some reason that escapes me, considering such foolishness.

My question: If you have allocated 15 days of your (entire) life to see Europe would this be a wise choice. If not, what alternative(s) would you suggest? (I am thinking in the $15,000 range but not locked in)

Grand European Tour - 2015 Amsterdam to Budapest - Cruise Overview
While I've never done a river cruise, I have heard wonderful things about them. I have flown by (military) helicopter and by tour bus along some of the rivers in Germany and other countries and they are beautiful. I've also traveled throughout western Europe and enjoyed all of it (except Naples, but that's another story). I'll be on an cruise out of Southampton, England in June that goes to Portugal, Spain, France, Italy and Gibraltar. We did an eastern Mediterranean cruise a few years ago and had a great time.
I suggest you go for it and enjoy yourself! Big advantage is you don't have to do a bag drag at every city and can sleep in the same bed every night.
Old 12-03-2014, 04:35 PM   #1758

Bandon, Oregon for a week of golf at Bandon Dunes this spring or summer. I want to play all 5 courses including the 13 hole par 3 course. Estimated cost = $5000 to $6000 for DW & I to drive from CA. Will make a couple of stops to visit Redwood National Park, and whatever we fancy.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:07 PM   #1759

Quote:

Grand European Tour - 2015 Amsterdam to Budapest - Cruise Overview
These are really fun! Many of the stops will be near the center of town, allowing for some real DIY walking tours, breakfast at a local bakery, etc. Where we had stops that were in a port area away from the center of town, the cruise line arranged for bus service into town for a walking tour, and bus pickups at various times afterward for those of us who went off on our own.

There was a nice brewery in Miltenberg, the Faust Brewery. The Stephansplatz central square in Vienna is just amazing to wander around. (There are many establishments there which serve nothing but coffee drinks and desserts. Great for lunch or an afternoon break. Not so good for a diet.)

It's a pretty good way to see central Europe in an organized tour, and much easier than those bus tours since your hotel travels with you. They're best for folks comfortable with a more structured tour, as compared with the "Got a Eurail Pass, let's see where we wind up!" crowd.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:15 PM   #1760
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...(snip)...
This is $1000/day which is quite high for 2 adults (did you include airfare?).

We've always done these trips on our own planning but are signed up in 2015 for a Rick Steves 14 day Greece tour. For about 26 days + airfare from West Coast, I think it might come to about $15K. We figure we will do some Italy on our own after the tour. Generally it's been about $300/day if we do it on our own. So maybe half of the tour daily rate.

You might be interested in one of the Rick Steves tours. Here is a link:
Europe Tours | Rick Steves 2015 Tours

That web site has some nice advice and good country specific forums, even if you don't use their tours. Some videos there give a flavor of the tours.