Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 07:12 AM   #1801
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

After cancelling/rebooking our April 11th, fourteen day repositioning cruise from Santo Domingo to Barcelona on the CDF Horizon, ($180 US base price for an oceanview cabin), we decided to also book the last, (November) primarily Adriatic, nine day cruise of the season with the same ship........leaving from, and returning to, Marseille.

Found a (relatively) cheap return flight Toronto-Genoa...so we'll spend a couple days in Genoa, (a city I haven't visited for some 51 years), then catch the train to Marseille.

Rinse & repeat at cruise end.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2015, 11:11 AM   #1802
Confused about dryer sheets

Just booked a trip to Istanbul this week. Going for a week in March with my parents. Airfare was so cheap I couldn't pass it up!
Old 01-31-2015, 11:54 AM   #1803
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
A pretty time to visit the Bay Area. The hills will still be green...we hope. Seattle...well I hope you like rain. Went there in May 2013 for niece's graduation. Never saw Mt. Rainier at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
I live in the Seattle metro area and this year has been sunny and very mild. So unusual for here. I think the weather is changing here and the South is getting all our rain this year. Saw Mt. Rainier in all her glory yesterday. Just a beautiful sight. Can't think of a lovelier place to live. Just sayin. I am originally from Atlanta. Moved to Seattle 18 years ago and here to stay.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:57 AM   #1804

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris2008 View Post
We just found a great deal to make use of our accumulated miles in May.
So we will be travelling out of Germany to the area between Seattle and SF /Sierra for 3,5 weeks.
Oh, how sweet it is to be ER!
So much to do and see between San Francisco and Seattle. You will have a great time!
Old 01-31-2015, 12:05 PM   #1805

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellBarbara View Post
We are looking at booking an 11 day Celebrity Cruise to Alaska. Departs Seatlle, returns to Vancouver. It is the last ship of the season, Sept 11. Too risky for snow?
I live in the Seattle area. I have taken the Alaska cruise. I would suggest going in July or August for the most chance of optimal weather. Lovely cruise and beautiful scenery. We took the train from Seattle up to Vancouver British Columbia. We saw bears, mountain goats and lots of eagles. You will have a great time.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:46 PM   #1806
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

16 days in France (Paris & Southwest)
10 day Eastern Mediterranean cruise
14 days in Italy (Florence, Amalfi & Rome)

Exchange rate is helping...
Old 02-01-2015, 03:53 PM   #1807
Recycles dryer sheets

5 more days till we go to Kauai. Cannot wait to put my toes in the sand and smell the ocean!
Old 02-01-2015, 05:14 PM   #1808

About to spend a week skiing in Colorado.
DW gave it up last year because her knees just can't handle it any more, so she's home taking care of the cat and I'm on my own. This may possibly require me to have an extra après-ski beer or two.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:38 PM   #1809
Give me a forum ...

And boy is that a great place to get a beer! The highlight of our summer trip was the breweries of Colorado.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Old 02-03-2015, 01:44 PM   #1810
Give me a forum ...

I'm looking at this tour especially since it is has been discounted by $300 for several Spring dates. With the Euro down, the extra $300 would buy a number of good meals or admission to various sites.

Independent Tour | My Way® Europe in 14 Days Tour | Rick Steves 2015 Tours | ricksteves.com

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:47 PM   #1811
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I'm looking at this tour especially since it is has been discounted by $300 for several Spring dates. With the Euro down, the extra $300 would buy a number of good meals or admission to various sites.

Independent Tour | My Way® Europe in 14 Days Tour | Rick Steves 2015 Tours | ricksteves.com
That looks like fun. We decided to try an RS Tour too. First we signed up for Greece but with the uncertainty over there right now we switched it (just a few days ago) to southern Italy. Then we'll do a few weeks after the tour on our own in Florence, Assisi and Rome. Maybe we'll see you in Rome.

We've been using the Rick Steve books for years on our own. Haven't been in Italy since 1972 and never to Rome.
Old 02-03-2015, 03:21 PM   #1812
Give me a forum ...

Seems like a great deal, though wonder if they cut corners on the quality and locations of hotels.

For comparison look how pricey the national geographic expeditions of a similar length are.
Old 02-03-2015, 05:30 PM   #1813
Give me a forum ...

The hotel in Rome on our trip is one of the ones recommended in the RS Italy book. I figure we are paying about more then 2x the amount per day if we did it on our own. So they are making money.
Anyone got any travel planned?
Old 02-03-2015, 06:05 PM   #1814
Give me a forum ...

Anyone got any travel planned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Seems like a great deal, though wonder if they cut corners on the quality and locations of hotels.

For comparison look how pricey the national geographic expeditions of a similar length are.
The hotels are usually very nice, and centrally located, in my experience. I like centrally located hotels as they save time and are easily available if one needs to drop off a purchase, or change clothes due to unforeseen weather issues.

They always include a descent breakfast.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:20 PM   #1815
Give me a forum ...

Would these be some of the hotels?

Great Tour Hotels | Rick Steves' European Tours | ricksteves.com
Old 02-03-2015, 06:44 PM   #1816
Give me a forum ...

I generally look at the TripAdvisor reviews of the RS selections just as a check and for further info (like ideas for which room locations to ask for).
Old 02-03-2015, 08:31 PM   #1817
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I recognize the one in Paris. It's very nice and very well located. I would check his books and figure the tour hotels are probably the 4 star hotels, though one can get a 3 star in smaller towns that don't have many choices. Generally the hotels I reserve on my own are not quite as nice as the RS tour hotels. I'll take a 3 star hotel to save money. :-)

Old 02-03-2015, 11:36 PM   #1818
Give me a forum ...

I just booked some apts. in Amsterdam, Paris and London for latter part of April and early May.

Prices for hotels are crazy in those cities because they're so popular. Apts. often have more space and cost less but it's kind of a hassle because many owners want deposits and so on.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:28 AM   #1819

Quote:
I just booked some apts. in Amsterdam, Paris and London for latter part of April and early May.

Prices for hotels are crazy in those cities because they're so popular. Apts. often have more space and cost less but it's kind of a hassle because many owners want deposits and so on.
We went to Amsterdam, Brussels, and Paris last May. What a blast! And yes, hotel prices were crazy.

We stayed in an "boutique hostel" in Amsterdam. It was so fun! Essentially we had our own private room and bath, but there were shared rooms in the house for travelers who didn't mind that. We had a shared kitchen and living room and there was a hostel cat "Yope". Met all kinds of interesting travelers hanging out in the common areas together. Even though it was a hostel, it still wasn't cheap. But it was a great experience.

Cocomama | Amsterdam's first boutique hostel

The rooms were not as big as they look on the website, btw. Not surprising, though - it is Europe.

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Old 02-04-2015, 01:08 PM   #1820
Recycles dryer sheets

My wife and I rented this studio apartment last October while we were in Rome. We loved it.

https://www.bedandbreakfast.eu/bed-a...pavone/590440/

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Closed Thread