Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-06-2015, 08:30 PM   #1881
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Another fan of the Man in Seat 61 here.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2015, 09:41 AM   #1882
Full time employment: Posting here.

Next month I fly into Casablanca, depart Barcelona 5 weeks later, with a 4 night layover in Istanbul on the way home. First time for all 3 countries. No idea how I'll split the time between Morocco and Spain. I expect it to be obvious from how much I'm liking Morocco. Besides Barca, the only Spain I expect to see will be TBD in Andalucia. I would like to visit the Feria de Caballo (horse fair) in Cadiz. It's the town's second biggest annual festival.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:04 AM   #1883
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItDontMeanAThing View Post
I would like to visit the Feria de Caballo (horse fair) in Cadiz.
Cadiz is a nice little town.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 11:21 AM   #1884

One of my favorite trips in the past was mostly southern Spain with a side trip to Tangiers. The ferry trip was awesome in and of itself - dolphins riding the wake of the ferry. Have a great time in both countries!
Old 03-10-2015, 02:34 PM   #1885
Give me a forum ...

Booked the Europe flights today.

I've been having fun with capitainetrain.com for the train tickets. Awesome site!
Old 03-10-2015, 02:40 PM   #1886
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post

I still need to get:
* Catania to Giarre-Riposto. I'm waiting on this because I want to see if cousins are going to volunteer to pick us up in Catania.
* Giarre-Riposto to Bologna, via Rome. It's just outside the window of when I can purchase... Again, this is an overnight train, so I want to lock in a low price and reserve the cuccettes.
* Paris to Nice
* Nice to Aix-en-Provence
* Aix-en-Provence to Barcelona.

All the activity of foreign train ticket purchases triggered Capital One fraud folks to contact me. I'm glad they're paying attention.
We are using captainetrain.com for our France TGV tickets plus our Thalys Paris to Amsterdam trip. The site is great to use, and once you have a ticket in the cart, you can wait several days, even over a week, before paying for it. It depends on the train line and ticket type, of course.
Old 03-10-2015, 03:08 PM   #1887

Leaving soon for two weeks in Rome and Vienna. I've lived in both cities in the past and love to return to visit. Got a rock bottom price round trip ticket and Europe is a real bargain now. Low prices sweeten the deal. Can't wait!
Old 03-10-2015, 03:13 PM   #1888
Give me a forum ...

Glad you got a nice ticket. We paid quite a bit more this year, but I expect it's due to the time when we'll be in Europe - closer to summer. We would have saved $400 per person if we'd left on May 15 instead of May 20, but that schedule didn't work out.

So the dollar strength is nice compensation for the pricier airfare.
Old 03-10-2015, 03:16 PM   #1889

Munich beginning of next month.

Anyone been to Neuswanstein? 4 Hours on train round trip. Then time on buses.

Heard visit is only 30 minutes.
Old 03-10-2015, 03:25 PM   #1890
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post

Neuschwanstein is a fabulous visit, but you'll need hours to really enjoy it.
If you're going there, I would recommend other side trips like Linderhof and the Zugspitz, just to name a couple.
Old 03-10-2015, 03:48 PM   #1891

The fare I got was so low--less than 1/2 price normal fares--I called a travel agent to confirm it wasn't a mistake. She hadn't seen it yet and excitedly booked a trip herself on the spot.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:05 AM   #1892

Just booked two weeks in Tanzania on a photo safari. Using shoulder season (early June) which is just past the rains and before the spring heat up.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:30 PM   #1893

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Neuschwanstein is a fabulous visit, but you'll need hours to really enjoy it.
If you're going there, I would recommend other side trips like Linderhof and the Zugspitz, just to name a couple.
I've see some guided tours, either using trains or a coach and do DIY accounts.

They all say about 9 hours minimum from Munich. Beyond the transit time and the allowed visit in the castle of 30 minutes, presumably there are other visits.

For instance, this one includes Linderhof:

Royal Castles of Neuschwanstein and Linderhof Day Tour from Munich - Munich | Viator

There are several other day trips offered, all at least 8 hours in duration. I guess I'll see what the weather looks like and look at choosing one, since I'd only have only one day for a full-day trip.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:52 PM   #1894
Recycles dryer sheets

Currently on DH retirement trip. All over the US. Only dampened by finding out my 85 year old mom has cancer and doesn't have long to live. On our way to Tx first to see her.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:06 PM   #1895
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Munich beginning of next month.

Stay in Füssen, and hook up with European Castle tours. Fabulous day, perfectly timed. You don't have to deal with any logistics.

There were only two couples (including us) in the van the day we went. Sweet!

Don't go through Viator. Avoid the middleman and large tour buses.

http://www.europeancastlestours.com/...rs-bav-skd.htm

It's worth spending a couple of nights in Füssen. It's a lovely train ride there, and an incredibly scenic location. A lovely town to walk around. Nice in the evenings when most of the tourist hoardes are gone. I wish we had spent a little more time there.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:48 AM   #1896

Ah already booked Munich hotel for whole stay. It seems most of these day trips are a 2 hour train ride out of Munich.

Guess a longer visit would be warranted some day, maybe with a car rental for more flexibility.

Want to visit Hallstatt some day but that's closer to Salzburg, while Munich may also be closer to Salzburg than Vienna?
Old 03-13-2015, 07:48 AM   #1897
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ah already booked Munich hotel for whole stay. It seems most of these day trips are a 2 hour train ride out of Munich.

Guess a longer visit would be warranted some day, maybe with a car rental for more flexibility.

Want to visit Hallstatt some day but that's closer to Salzburg, while Munich may also be closer to Salzburg than Vienna?
Munich is close to Salzburg. Vienna and Hallstatt are much farther away. It's 2hrs to Salzburg from Munich, I think. Salzburg is lovely. So if you are trying to see a bit of Austria, I highly recommend it.

While in Munich: we really enjoyed Nymphenburg Palace grounds, particularly the small palaces on the grounds. Easy tram ride from city center.

Also the Treasury and Munich Residenz are amazing. In city center.

That Viator tour indicates both Neuschwanstein and Linderhof are covered (maybe not - see below). Visiting both makes a good day. We enjoyed Linderhof just as much. Stunning grounds. You'll be driving through some very pretty country.

It's a loooong day with all that travel, but if you have to do it out of Munich that may be your best option. Unless the castle tours aren't actually included, in which case I'm not sure about that offering.

But it sounds like from the descriptions that you have the "option" of joining the guided tours of each palace. They are not included then. I would want to go on a tour where this was included and already arranged. The description is quite confusing. If I were traveling that far I would visit both castles. And access is tricky to Neuschwanstein, so having the tour arrangements and transportation up to the castle taken care of is critical. This sounds like they are only covering the ground transportation.
Old 03-13-2015, 07:55 AM   #1898

I adore Salzburg. I have been there many, many times. It and Vienna are top destinations for me. I'd recommend a bus tour from Salzburg of the salzkammergut region which includes Hallstatt. All outstandingly picturesque and beautiful and very steeped in history--ie. the history of salt itself! The Sound of Music tour from Salzburg is also recommended as it goes to some of these towns and you get to sing your head off on the bus and generally act goofy.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:47 AM   #1899

It would not include 22 Euro of entrance fees. Not sure if this means they'll take care of making the appointments. I know Neuschwanstein requires an appt. but not sure about Linderhof.

It says "Four hours to explore Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein castle and grounds" and "One-hour visit to Linderhof"

Sounds unbalanced, too much time for Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein vs. only one hour for Linderhof.

Otherwise I could get a Bayern ticket and try to get there myself on the train and buses but wouldn't be able to get to Linderhof probably. I read one account of people doing this and they said it took 9 hours.
Old 03-13-2015, 01:40 PM   #1900
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It would not include 22 Euro of entrance fees. Not sure if this means they'll take care of making the appointments. I know Neuschwanstein requires an appt. but not sure about Linderhof.

It says "Four hours to explore Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein castle and grounds" and "One-hour visit to Linderhof"

Sounds unbalanced, too much time for Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein vs. only one hour for Linderhof.

Otherwise I could get a Bayern ticket and try to get there myself on the train and buses but wouldn't be able to get to Linderhof probably. I read one account of people doing this and they said it took 9 hours.
The reason they have all the time for Neuschwanstein is the tricky logistics. You have to buy a ticket which gives you a set time. Then you have to get up to the castle somehow - it's a long steep climb, or you have to get a ticket for transport. They may also be taking into account delays for entrance delays at the castle. And there may be delays waiting to buy entramce tickets. There is a second castle available to visit at Hohenschwangau as well as a museum. It's a beautiful location.

It's complicated which is why we went with a day trips that took care of all the tickets and scheduling.