Anyone got any travel planned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have some friends who recently did this trip or one very similar to it. They found that there was more emphasis on the biking than on the sightseeing and that the guides were not well informed about points of interest.
Did they use VBT?

There are only 10 couples and many of us already know one another so we will find our way around I thnik. But I would appreciate your feedback.

Did they use VBT?

There are only 10 couples and many of us already know one another so we will find our way around I thnik. But I would appreciate your feedback.

I don't know, but I will ask and get back to you.

So happy to hear that! My Rick Steves Amsterdam book just came in the mail and I'm having a wonderful time reading through it and jotting down ideas.

Be aware of the long lines to get into the Anne Frank house. I hoped for a shorter line by showing up before it opened on a very rainy day.... Nope. Still waiting almost 90 minutes to get in. I observed the line was shorter in the late afternoon... so perhaps everyone else had the same idea as me - to get there early in hopes of avoiding the line.

There were also VERY long lines for the Van Gogh museum, even though we'd pre-purchased tickets.

That said - I highly recommend both the Anne Frank house and the Van Gogh museum. Worth the lines.

Be aware of the long lines to get into the Anne Frank house. I hoped for a shorter line by showing up before it opened on a very rainy day.... Nope. Still waiting almost 90 minutes to get in.

I observed the line was shorter in the late afternoon... so perhaps everyone else had the same idea as me - to get there early in hopes of avoiding the line.

Yep, I read this, so we showed up late in the afternoon - I think around 6 pm. or something like that. Most people were at dinner. Minimal line.

There were also VERY long lines for the Van Gogh museum, even though we'd pre-purchased tickets.

Not sure how we missed the long lines there, too...good luck I guess.

That said - I highly recommend both the Anne Frank house and the Van Gogh museum. Worth the lines.

I concur, both great experiences!

Awesome! We considered Vondelpark, but never made it out there to bike for some reason. Limited time! Just one more reason to go back again!

Hubby really wanted to bike around the main parts of town, where it is crazy with traffic, etc. He's a much better multitasker than me. My luck I would get run over in all that traffic. i'd be fine with the off-road/only bike/walking trails. That forest ride sounds really amazing and that is indeed a long ride!

The Rijksmuseum is close to one end of Vondelpark. On the first day we walked through Vondelpark we walked on to the Rijksmuseum and then took the team back.

We are in the early stages of planning our next trip to Europe. It is an 8 day bike/barge trip on the Moselle from Metz. We plan to fly into Amsterdam and then spend some time making our way through Bruges/Brussels/Luxembourg to Metz. The barge trip ends in Koblenz so was also have some time at the end.

We have done several VBT trips but not in holland nor a bike and barge. The guides have always been local so are very familiar with local sites, customs, and food. I think those trips are highly rated and the typical VBT customer tends to be a little less avid cyclist than some groups. Have fun and let us know how it goes.

We plan to fly into Amsterdam and then spend some time making our way through Bruges/Brussels/Luxembourg to Metz.

Consider swapping out Bruges for Gent. Gent is more lively and just as historic as Bruges. Also not as many tour buses with huge crowds.

Gearing up for New Zealand in a few weeks. Hoping to stay there two months.

Start in Christchurch, buy a car and go on the grand tour. Camping / airbnb, whatever comes my way.

Finish up in Auckland, sell the car.

We have done several VBT trips but not in holland nor a bike and barge. The guides have always been local so are very familiar with local sites, customs, and food. I think those trips are highly rated and the typical VBT customer tends to be a little less avid cyclist than some groups. Have fun and let us know how it goes.
I did the VBT Holland Bike and Barge trip and loved it. The guides were good and familiar with local sites and customs. VBT always includes visits to notable sites on their routes and plans routes to include such sites. That said, these are bike tours so the emphasis is more on riding than culture or history. I agree with jabba that VBT is oriented to recreational cycling - great accommodations, food, wine, and easy to moderate rides in the 20-40 mile range. The longest day of riding I have done with VBT is 60 miles and that was unusual.

I want to retire so I can take this road trip.
Top Brewery Road Trip, Routed Algorithmically | FlowingData
brewery-road-trip-final3.png

We are in the early stages of planning our next trip to Europe. It is an 8 day bike/barge trip on the Moselle from Metz. We plan to fly into Amsterdam and then spend some time making our way through Bruges/Brussels/Luxembourg to Metz. The barge trip ends in Koblenz so was also have some time at the end.

I've stayed around Koblenz and Bacharach three times over the years. When the weather's nice, nothing is better than sitting at the Konisbacher beer garden, south of Koblenz, watching tour boats going up and down the Rhine River.

Ben's Bauernhof (Tips for Travel in Germany) is a great place to read about tourism in the Mosel River and Rhine River region. He has covered all the places to stay in Bacharach, too. It's a small city with great B&B's to stay in.

Thinking about Vietnam in early Feb or late March as the first or last stop on an Asian trip. Anyone been there?

Concerned about the cool weather in Feb. Tentative plan to fly to Hanoi, then make our way south. Failing that, start in Thailand and work north to Vietnam in March. Hope to spend two weeks in this country.

Thinking about Vietnam in early Feb or late March as the first or last stop on an Asian trip. Anyone been there?
A very long time ago. :facepalm:

We had friends who went there for their honeymoon a few years ago and loved it. Flew into Hanoi and ended up in Bangkok a week later.

Concerned about the cool weather in Feb. Tentative plan to fly to Hanoi, then make our way south. Failing that, start in Thailand and work north to Vietnam in March. Hope to spend two weeks in this country.

I have a friend who has been there and loved it. Someday I would like to go to Vietnam with a side trip to Angor Wat.

I'm planning to go to Myanmar and Bangkok in February. Where else are you going in Asia?

At the early planning stages now. Toss up between Asia and a few months in Puerto Vallarta.

We have spent part of the last two winters in Thailand. Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Ko Samui, Khao Lak, Ko Lippe, ets.. island hopping down the coast to Malaysia. We cannot leave until Feb this time so we are thinking of up to two weeks in Viet Nam, three weeks in Thailand,
and perhaps some time in Myanmar. It may depend on where we fly into. If we get a great flight to HK or China, and can get a low cost follow on flight with Air Asia, Nok, etc. we may change our plans slightly to take advantage of this.

At the early planning stages now. Toss up between Asia and a few months in Puerto Vallarta.

We have spent part of the last two winters in Thailand. Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Ko Samui, Khao Lak, Ko Lippe, ets.. island hopping down the coast to Malaysia. We cannot leave until Feb this time so we are thinking of up to two weeks in Viet Nam, three weeks in Thailand,
and perhaps some time in Myanmar. It may depend on where we fly into. If we get a great flight to HK or China, and can get a low cost follow on flight with Air Asia, Nok, etc. we may change our plans slightly to take advantage of this.

I'm traveling from San Francisco to BKK and I'm seeing flights starting at $639 which looks a whole lot better than the BKK flight at $1500 I took to BKK last July. After that Air Asia flights are pretty cheap to/from Myanmar.

I know the weather is temperate there but wet.

When are the driest periods there?

Thinking more of Bali though.

I know the weather is temperate there but wet.

When are the driest periods there?

Thinking more of Bali though.

I think the high season in Southeast Asia is October - February. Cooler & drier. Though even in June/July of this year I didn't encounter any significant rain in Bangkok.

Bali is nice. Went there 20 yrs ago. Our choice was to avoid the touristy beaches. We stayed in Ubud.

Flights to BKK have increased over the past two years. Last year we did Calgary-BKK for $1029 on United/ANA. Two years prior it was $749. This year it currently looks like $1200ish but it is early days yet. That $749 fare was booked in early Jan, two weeks prior to departure. I expect an increase because the CAD$ has dropped so sharply. Fares noted are in CAD. M

We have had great success with NOK and Air Asia. Last Feb we did a nine hour flight on Air Asia from Kuala Lumur to Gold Coast, Australia. My spouse broke her back in KL...The Air Asia staff gave her three seats in a row so that she rest comfortably. Great service. Fare was $249 CAD!

BKK-Chiangmai Mai, and Chiang Mai-Phuket flights were $50 and $60 respectively.

DW said we had some timeshare credit deposited with RCI, the timeshare exchange, that would expire in a couple of months. So, last night she looked online and saw that there were a couple of units available in Maui in a couple of weeks. While we were debating, one was booked and only one unit was left. Thus, the scramble to check airfares before we reserved the unit.

So, just on the spur of the moment, we find ourselves headed to Maui in less than 2 weeks. We were there 26 years ago, and did not have enough time to drive to Hana. This time we will.

What are your favorite things to do in these Asian cities? Tour books you or others recommend? We use Rick Steve's for Europe, any equivalent for Asia?

Last edited:
DW said we had some timeshare credit deposited with RCI, the timeshare exchange, that would expire in a couple of months. So, last night she looked online and saw that there were a couple of units available in Maui in a couple of weeks. While we were debating, one was booked and only one unit was left. Thus, the scramble to check airfares before we reserved the unit.

So, just on the spur of the moment, we find ourselves headed to Maui in less than 2 weeks. We were there 26 years ago, and did not have enough time to drive to Hana. This time we will.

Good for you! I love Maui. This spur of the moment trip was brought to you by ER.

We use various tour books. Just got Lonely Planet Vietnam and we use Rough Guide for Thailand's beaches and islands.
Also got Moon's Puerto Vallarta.

We generally get a slew of them from the library and then buy the one that suits us. We have used Rick Steves for Europe but we were somewhat disappointed in his Greece books. We usually take a look at the Froomers site as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom