Anyone got any travel planned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What you described is well and truly my idea of hell. So sorry to hear you were plagued by so many kids! I would have thought you might be safe this time of year from the mongrel hordes.

Mongrel hordes is right! And some of the mongrel's parents were just as bad. One day DH and I were in the Lido eating lunch when a mom started yelling at her kid to "get over here". He was on the opposite side of the ship so her yelling was VERY loud. I was embarrassed for her since she apparently was raised in a barn! :(

As for Thanksgiving week we should have known better. Lots of kids get "Fall Break" during that week or parents take them out of school. Thanksgiving cruising is a tradition with us, but it's normally on Celebrity or Royal Caribbean. They'll be getting our business back next year.

Just booked our trip to Rome in February. We're staying in a hotel in the Trastevere section...
That section is a bit rundown compared to the other four sections but it is right across the river from Ancient Rome. I know you will enjoy it. Make sure to spend a day in the park. And eat in one of the restaurants there.

Mongrel hordes is right! And some of the mongrel's parents were just as bad. One day DH and I were in the Lido eating lunch when a mom started yelling at her kid to "get over here". He was on the opposite side of the ship so her yelling was VERY loud. I was embarrassed for her since she apparently was raised in a barn! :(

As for Thanksgiving week we should have known better. Lots of kids get "Fall Break" during that week or parents take them out of school. Thanksgiving cruising is a tradition with us, but it's normally on Celebrity or Royal Caribbean. They'll be getting our business back next year.

Ah, I didn't even think of the holiday break. And of course, as a childfree person, I know it isn't really the kids' fault that they are mongrels, but usually it is their parents' doing. sigh...:facepalm:

ok, this may be pretty low on the excitement scale for many of you, but here goes....

I'm a big NFL fan...Oakland Raiders to be specific. (I live in Indiana...don't ask). We started a tradition 8 years ago...we go to a Raider game in a different city each year...with our goal to eventually get to every city (may have to start doing 2x/year once we FIRE).

So far we've been to Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Denver, Pittsburgh, Oakland (my favorite of course), Baltimore, Nashville, and Kansas City.

This year's trip? We're headed to Green Bay in about 10 days. :dance: DW is a "football fan by marriage", and wants to be at a game that makes history in some way. In this case, it may be the weather, as Green Bay can get pretty nasty at times.

Looking forward to visiting this historic field, although the Raiders may be playing an undefeated team. :(

Travel planning is in the very preliminary phase - I'm looking to move to Europe this summer with the wife and kids for 3 years, courtesy of the USN. Hafta choose between Italy, Spain, Germany, or possibly England. Germany and Italy probably offer the best home base to travel from. Should have a better idea of where home will be in about a month!

Travel planning is in the very preliminary phase - I'm looking to move to Europe this summer with the wife and kids for 3 years, courtesy of the USN. Hafta choose between Italy, Spain, Germany, or possibly England. Germany and Italy probably offer the best home base to travel from. Should have a better idea of where home will be in about a month!
Family friends were thrilled to be in Italy. A couple years ago their 17-year-old and ours rampaged up & down the coast for a couple weeks, and then came back to Hawaii to do the same.

Spouse was stationed in Rota in 1983 and we had some great times in Spain & Portugal, but I bet Rota ain't the sleepy little town it used to be...

Do you read the "Paycheck Chronicles" blog on Military.com?
http://paycheck-chronicles.military.com/2011/11/29/tricare-i-have-questions/
I believe Kate is still in Italy (or just transferred), and she can offer the latest scuttlebutt. She and I met at the USAA blogger conference a couple months ago.

Just got back from 12 days in Spain. Wonderful, wonderful time. Now to get over the jet lag...

Spouse was stationed in Rota in 1983 and we had some great times in Spain & Portugal, but I bet Rota ain't the sleepy little town it used to be....
Went to Citges in 2005 for the first time in 35 years. The main street is now a high rise canyon. Shocking....

We're going to Victoria, BC for Christmas. First time we'll be spending time there during winter...will be interesting!

I'm trying to decide on where to go for my 40th birthday, maybe India or a safari in Africa..

I'm trying to decide on where to go for my 40th birthday, maybe India or a safari in Africa..
Go to Botswana or Southern Tanzania.....avoid Kenya, it's overdone.

Just booked our Christmas travel. Taking in Seattle, Honolulu and Portland.

Hey DangerMouse, let me know if you need advice for Seattle. If you are feeling adventurous we could introduce you to some of our closest friends to meet while you are there to give you advice and meet you for a drink. If we were still there we'd do it in a heartbeat, but in lieu of that we can introduce you to some wonderful people.

Have a great trip!

At the end of January I'm headed for some snowshoeing and cross country skiing in Bryce and Capital Reef national parks as well as on the Kaibab Plateau.

Spent the weekend planning our vacations for this year; going on a road trip to Washington state to see friends we have not seen since '92; also going to Ireland for a couple of weeks for some relaxing and looking at areas to possibly move to when we reach FIRE in a couple of years.

Looks like a trip to Europe this summer. This trip will mark the end of always having to travel in prime-time and paying top dollar for airfare, rooms, etc. Hopefully, one of the fruits of retirement will be cheaper travel. I could not help but noticed that the same trip as I am making in summer would cost $450 less in airfare if I could travel in late April to early May. Room savings would be at least another $400 also. I am looking forward to my first non prime-time trip in a long, long while.

In about 11 days, we're headed to the Coastal Bend of Texas again (we also went last year at this time), for about 7 weeks, to get out of the snow and cold for a while. We rent a house in the Rockport area, and we love it. Good fishing, kayaking, birding, nice people, and it's WARM (well, most of the time, anyway). When we get back home in late March, the snow is melting and spring is not too far away.....

Heading to Cocoa Beach for a few days in February, and to SC for four glorious days of golf and debauchery (oh wait...that's redundant) in May. :D

Heading to Phuket, Thailand next week. Haven't been back to this place for like 8 years, I think. Looking forward to it.

Booked a house for a week in Ocracoke Island NC in June. We will be sharing a house with our DS, his SO and her DS, who just turned 14. This will be our first vacation with our DS since he left home at around 18 and he will be 34 in April. It was their suggestion to go. We used to go quite often to Ocracoke Island when he was growing up and he has not been since he was around 14. If our plans work out and our DD allows us, I will be flying to San Diego and spending a week or so with her family, and then flying back with our granddaughter, who will be almost 4, and taking her on vacation with us. Then after we are back home, my DH will fly her back to San Diego and spend a week or two with them. Our DSIL does not have a problem with it, but DD is still thinking about it.

Tentative plans for July (not trying to get very excited at this point) going to Brazil with my daughter and son-in-law to visit his family.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom