Anyone got any travel planned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sarah in SC said:
Tree dweller, we went at Christmas to Peru. I'd say best advice is to rest your first few days in Cusco, drink lots of water (ok, we drank beer, but do as I say, etc) and go ahead and bring the Diamox along, but don't take it as a preventative. I only had to take it one day we were in the mountains, and that was on a very high mountain pass when we were crossing the altiplano. And if it hadn't been so dang cold that we were getting snowed/sleeted on, I would have been drinking more water and avoided the symptoms. We had spent a week in Cusco at that point but still got a rough patch. My DH had general fatigue the whole time we were at altitude, though. As sea level dwellers, I kinda expected it to be worse, to be honest.

PM me if you have any specific questions about traveling in Peru-I got some great advice from others on the board, too, especially Michael B and Travelover. And if you are mighty bored, look up the thread around here on the Mototaxi Junket, that was our trip.

Thanks for the info. We're not exactly going to be roughing it. I had made reservations at a three-star hotel in Cusco when DW spoke to a co-worker who is from Peru who essentially scared her into wanting nothing less than 4 stars "to keep the kidnappers away". From everything I've read that's absurd, but, oh well!

Oh cool, then travelover will be a better reference than us! Although we stayed in a couple of memorably nice places along the way, mostly we were living like hippies.
Casa Andina in Nasca is sweet and we also stayed in a beautiful place on Huanchaca Beach that we loved. But the rest were backpacker hostels full of young, fun travelers and friendly locals. Not too many tourists around.

Kidnappers? Not so much. You'll have a great time if you have an open mind and embrace what is awesome. :)

Kidnappers? Not so much. You'll have a great time if you have an open mind and embrace what is awesome. :)

Yea, kidnapping a huge risk. Do something practical like riding a 3 wheeled motorcycle through the Andes. ;)

Nothing to add, but I feel compelled to post. If Sarah says it and Travelover agrees, it is so. Peru and Cusco are a great trip. Don't worry, enjoy! Remember, pisco and anticuchos are your friend. :)

travelover said:
Yea, kidnapping a huge risk. Do something practical like riding a 3 wheeled motorcycle through the Andes. ;)

Yeah, I saw that video. I think practicality fell off the trike at one of the bumps, but that sure looked like some fun!

Is this thread just for the retirees or can young dreamers post?

I am taking my kids to Puerto Rico in July. Staying in a villa at the base of the rainforest. Will hit the beaches, rainforest and snorkeling.

Did I mention Dubrovnik and Istanbul in September? Just got back from 4 days in Guadalajara. 91 degrees and 13% humidity at 5000 ft elevation.
Love Istanbul and the country, have been there multiple times.

I am headed N to Lake Ontario, specifically Sackets Harbor, on Wednesday or Thursday as soon as I feel better.
Low budget trip, only a 1.5 hour drive, just like going to the ocean. :D
I agree, going to Lake Ontario is similar to the ocean! We just drove through that area, to Cape Vincent and then took the ferry to Wolf Island and then another ferry to Kingston.

I just saw the movie "Best Exotic Hotel Marigold" ... adding India to my future travel plans, in 5 years.

First , I ask for clarification. Since I have a long time girlfriend - significant other; not that PC matters, but I repsect this Board enough to be PC to it; rather than DW which no longer exists, is it DSO, or DGF ?
Our summer plans call for 3 separate weeks of SCUBA diving in the Caribbean. Warm water diving is the best, and then a fall dive trip to Bonaire.

Our summer plans call for 3 separate weeks of SCUBA diving in the Caribbean. Warm water diving is the best, and then a fall dive trip to Bonaire.

Jealous! I am not going to make any dive trips this year, but have been to the Caribbean/Cozumel many, many times, including 3 trips to Bonaire.

This summer we will be heading to Ireland for a "Cousin's Reunion" for my SO and then over to Scotland for a week of scotch tasting. This fall will be our annual trip to the Cape Cod seashore and then later a long weekend in Aruba for a wedding.

Jealous! I am not going to make any dive trips this year, but have been to the Caribbean/Cozumel many, many times, including 3 trips to Bonaire.
I'm jealous too. In the 70s I dove all the time including ice diving and wreck diving. Over the years since then I made it to Cozumel, Bonaire, Provo and a few others but I haven't been able to keep at it at a level I would like. We just have too many competing interests and DW doesn't really like diving even though she is certified. I have thought about joining an organized dive trip on my own but haven't pursued it. Would a single 64 y/o stand out like a sore thumb on a dive trip or have they trended older with the boomers like many other activities?

I have thought about joining an organized dive trip on my own but haven't pursued it. Would a single 64 y/o stand out like a sore thumb on a dive trip or have they trended older with the boomers like many other activities?

I am lucky, my SO (DGF, DSO, MS...?) loves diving as much as I do... a 64yo would not stand out, but why not just go on vacation to a dive location, bring your DW and just dive in the morning... you will be back on shore by lunch and have the rest of the day with her. There are usually singles on the dive boat looking for a buddy, if not you could for a "triple" (if I know the dive company, I may dive as a single. I know, I know...:angel:)

When we dive, we often just do the two tank morning dive which usually returns around lunch. That gives you the rest of the day to play landside.

The diving age demographics has changed. At the dive resorts, the average age is in the 50 - 70 range. Non-divers also enjoy the relaxation and DWs might also enjoy sleeping in a bit while you dive as ChiliPepr said, you would likely be doing a two tank morning dive; back in time for the rest of the day together.

Nothing to add, but I feel compelled to post. If Sarah says it and Travelover agrees, it is so. Peru and Cusco are a great trip. Don't worry, enjoy! Remember, pisco and anticuchos are your friend. :)
OH, yes, the Pisco Sours. Though I'd not actually go so far as to say Pisco is your "friend", but it will sure help you have a good time! And the anticuchos are fantastic, along with the ceviche in Lima and along the coast, plus aji de gallina and other classic Peruvian dishes.

Are you going to the jungle at all? We stayed at a fancy-pants lodge near Iquitos after the mototaxi rally wrapped up. It was stunning, but pricey.

I am settling on a plan to take a road trip from San Francisco to Seattle. Probably in July. I'll take in Portland and Mt Rainier National Park along the way. Drive back down the coast on 101. My road trip to Chicago last year work out great.

DW just informed me that we will be traveling to China in September 2013 (sorry, no itenary at this time) and she booked it yesterday.

That, along with Scotland (our 3rd time) this September.

Can't keep a lady down (or her consort - me :cool: )...

So it goes.

BTW, we spent a week in a condo in Maui last month (thinking about buying a unit in which we rented for the trip, but stil "in the process").

Retirement is hard - keeps me tired with all the travel...

So my frequent flyer mile gyrations might be paying off...

I just got an invite to submit my "credentials" to work the launch of this year's MongolRally at Goodwood in England. This is the rally we are thinking about for next summer, and this volunteer opportunity would give me a guaranteed entry, a discount on same, and a behind-the-scenes "job" with some seriously crazy people.

And see just what sort of vehicles other peeps think are suitable for a 10,000 mile journey from England to Ulan Baatar (we want to take a shortie American school bus).

A long weekend in England in July? Sure, why not? :)

Now, that shows how clueless I am--forgot about that completely! Thank goodness it is a couple of weeks before the frenzy!
Lucky U. Apparently you are not married to a "psedo travel agent" as I am :D , and is aware of what is happening around the world and directly impacts our planned travel...

Sarah in SC said:
OH, yes, the Pisco Sours. Though I'd not actually go so far as to say Pisco is your "friend", but it will sure help you have a good time! And the anticuchos are fantastic, along with the ceviche in Lima and along the coast, plus aji de gallina and other classic Peruvian dishes.

Are you going to the jungle at all? We stayed at a fancy-pants lodge near Iquitos after the mototaxi rally wrapped up. It was stunning, but pricey.

No jungle for us city kids. I'm not averse, but our time is limited to 4 nights in-country. We'll be hobnobbing with the swells at another fancy-pants joint in the Sacred Valley for a couple of nights. No denying we'll be tourists, not adventurers this trip.

Heading to Alaska on the 22nd of June for a cruise. Not sure of any of the details, except we will be on a small ship (66 passengers) and beer is included with meals. All the other details will fall into place.

Going on an extended vacation. A week in Porto, Spain followed by a 12 day Adriatic cruise. After that a few days in Venice and Como then off to South Africa for a month. Victoria Falls, Kruger, and Cape Town. Then a cruise back to the US for mid Dec. Some time in Florida, and then hopefully a one or two month rental in Costa Rica or Panama. Then back home to look for a new house....our current house has sold and we will store everything in a POD.

We did our first extended trip years ago prior to changing careers. Early retirement means it is time to do it again...but with a few more creature comforts than our VW van provided.

Going to Western Europe in late Aug / early Sept and going to Central America in late Sept to run another clinic.

I just got my holiday cancelled as DH has sudden work commitments. Supposed to go for a week holiday and do the Great Ocean Road (Australia). I did so much research and now I don't know when we are going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom