Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 10:44 AM   #681
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Are the Italian villas in Croatia more affordable for vacation rentals than Italian villas in Italy?
It depends on location. In Punat, we paid less than $100/night for a double: King bed and sitting area with sofa, LR outside (4 chairs and a coffee table), chaise lounging area (2) and a shared uncovered patio with four other occupants. Included breakfast. Hotel Kanajt in Punat. They also own the very extensive marina.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2012, 10:47 AM   #682
Give me a forum ...

After a tour of the Istar Peninsula, we re now in Zagreb. Very interesting city. Lots of pedestrian only areas in old town.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:14 PM   #683
Full time employment: Posting here.

Going to Malaysia tomorrow for a short break and visit relatives and perhaps catch a game of golf or two.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:05 AM   #684
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Going back to Central America for Christmas. Will see another 500-1,000 patients over 10 days. Will take a student with me this time around. Will try to spend one or two days in this community :

http://u000073314.photoshelter.com/g...00zq6_ypqCOHY/
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:43 AM   #685
Give me a forum ...

Wr are in the middle of week in Istanbul. Weather is great and so is the city.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:03 AM   #686
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
Going back to Central America for Christmas. Will see another 500-1,000 patients over 10 days. Will take a student with me this time around. Will try to spend one or two days in this community :

El Basurero Guajeros, Guatemala City Garbage Dump - Images | Joseph Delconzo
That sounds more like work. Thank you for your philanthropy.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:30 PM   #687
Give me a forum ...

Travel related:

For those of you that travel to developing world type places - I'm in the process of reading this book and am really finding it informative. It is unfortunately named, as the emphasis is on staying healthy. It is filled with anecdotes and travel hints about avoiding filth to mouth diseases and recovering quickly when you do get sick.

How to **** Around the World: The Art of Staying Clean and Healthy While Traveling (Travelers' Tales Guides): Dr. Jane Wilson-Howarth,Kathleen Meyer: 9781932361322: Amazon.com: Books

Those of you that travel to safer places, don't look.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:35 PM   #688
Give me a forum ...

Enjoying a couple of Indian Summer days in Zurich before heading home.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:31 PM   #689
Recycles dryer sheets

Zurich, Malaysia, Zagreb, Istanbul..... Man, I gotta get out more often! And I thought Quebec City was adventurous!
Old 10-10-2012, 08:01 PM   #690
Full time employment: Posting here.

Spending 8 days commencing next week in Taiwan with mum and siblings - all gals trip. It's my 3rd visit to Taiwan but will be different this time as we rented a van with driver to take us outskirts and of course, it is our all gals siblings trip with mum - bringing wheelchair for her too.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:43 PM   #691

I envy all of you world travelers!
Our next trip is to Santa Fe to visit my brother and his wife. Then shortly after that, we go to Kansas City for Christmas to see our son and his family. We like KC a lot more than we thought we ever would. We like to stay in the Country Club Plaza area. Then a month or so after that, to southern CA with my brother and his wife. We like to go there once a year. Sometime in all this, we will fly to Atlanta to see a museum exhibit related to my dad and other members of our family.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:25 AM   #692

Cruising from San Diego to Hawaii in Nov over Thanksgiving. Mom and Dad going, Dad finally gets to see Pearl Harbor.

DW just won round trip tickets on Alaska Air, so we are likely to go on a small boat cruise in either Mexico or Alaska later in 2013.

Cancun is our only other trip in 2013. Don't really like the crowds but we are staying at a smaller adult only all inclusive resort. Friends got a very good deal that we could not pass up.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:36 AM   #693
Give me a forum ...

Going back to Portland, OR for Christmas holidays with family.

A tip for travelers there - one can rent a car for about 1/2 the airport price by taking the light rail from the airport to downtown and renting at a local place within a 1/4 mile of the train stop. They will even reimburse your cab fare if you choose to take a short cab ride.

I also discovered that for Hertz, one can combine a CDP code and a Promo code to compound the discount. You can find these codes on line or get them from AAA, AARP, etc and at the Hertz web site.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:10 AM   #694
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
I envy all of you world travelers!
My bucket list, as it were, includes one or two trips to Europe, and likely one to Alaska. After that, no more overseas or long-distance travel. There's too much of the USA I haven't really seen yet.

Plus, budgetarily speaking, it's unrealistic to think I'm going to be jet-setting the globe. And, frankly, I'm just as happy in a quiet watering hole with a few friends, or cruising a scenic byway, as I am gallivanting around in airports, hotels, and rental cars.

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 10-11-2012, 09:28 AM   #695
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
...budgetarily speaking, it's unrealistic to think I'm going to be jet-setting the globe...
Or you can do like this mid-50 couple who just spent 43 days touring the Czech Rep. and Slovakia on peanuts: $28/day in Czech, and $43/day in Slovakia, and that's for two. They then went to Iceland, but I need to catch up with their blog. Search for "Kevin and Ruth". I cannot travel completely the way they do, but there are tips that I can use in my future trips. See more, stay longer, while spending less, that's my goal.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 10-11-2012, 09:28 AM   #696
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My bucket list, as it were, includes one or two trips to Europe, and likely one to Alaska. After that, no more overseas or long-distance travel. There's too much of the USA I haven't really seen yet.

Plus, budgetarily speaking, it's unrealistic to think I'm going to be jet-setting the globe. And, frankly, I'm just as happy in a quiet watering hole with a few friends, or cruising a scenic byway, as I am gallivanting around in airports, hotels, and rental cars.
+1

I don't have a travel bucket list, my concentration at this point in life is focused on not getting my bucket kicked.

US taxpayers and my employer provided me the opportunity to see a bit of the world when I was considerably younger and that satisfied my international travel curiosity. I no longer enjoy the hassle of flying, cruising or sleeping in a rented bed. Whenever I have the urge to do some sightseeing I much prefer to bring along my own bed and easy chair - like later this month when we head out to the Ozarks for a couple of weeks of leaf peeping.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:31 AM   #697
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
US taxpayers and my employer provided me the opportunity to see a bit of the world when I was considerably younger...
I wonder if getting to see the "wrong" parts of the world may kill one's curiosity to see the "better" parts.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 10-11-2012, 09:41 AM   #698
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I wonder if getting to see the "wrong" parts of the world may kill one's curiosity to see the "better" parts.
No doubt it may but my travels weren't all to the "wrong" parts of the world. I got the opportunity to see some of the "better" parts, too (Japan, the UK, Spain, etc.).
Old 10-11-2012, 09:43 AM   #699
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Or you can do like this mid-50 couple who just spent 43 days touring the Czech Rep. and Slovakia on peanuts: $28/day in Czech, and $43/day in Slovakia, and that's for two. They then went to Iceland, but I need to catch up with their blog. Search for "Kevin and Ruth". I cannot travel completely the way they do, but there are tips that I can use in my future trips. See more, stay longer, while spending less, that's my goal.
It's certainly possible that I'll wait until full FIRE kicks in to see Europe, thus I can travel around on the cheap, see what I want to see on my own schedule, then come home, and never go back.

You know, I think I'd rather hike around in the Alps than stand in line to see some pigeon-crap covered statue in Paris or Rome or Athens.

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 10-11-2012, 09:56 AM   #700
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I got the opportunity to see some of the "better" parts, too (Japan, the UK, Spain, etc.).
But there is more. Same as in the US. And if one still has some time left to go and look around before being confined to a rocking chair, well?

Quote:
You know, I think I'd rather hike around in the Alps than stand in line to see some pigeon-crap covered statue in Paris or Rome or Athens.
I have found that it is quite satisfying for me to see the popular touristy places and things first, before venturing out of the beaten path. There is a reason why some places are popular.

When it comes to travel, some people love it, and some do not at all. I have an uncle-in-law who just wants to stay home. Wherever one goes, it's just houses and people, he said. He did not care for nature either. So, my aunt never gets to travel much. One of my neighbors, an ex-GI man in his early 70, was the same way. When I talked about Yellowstone, he knew about all these geysers too. It turned out he was satisfied with reading about places in National Geographic. His wife said she would love to go somewhere, but couldn't.

As long as a couple is compatible, and both sides are happy, who's to say that one has to travel?

Closed Thread