Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 10:15 PM   #981
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Took two weeks from cincinnati to get to Tok Alaska. Heading down towards Kenai Peninsula tomorrow. No rush, with our truck camera. Plan to hang around until the weather kicks us out.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2013, 12:30 PM   #982
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Get ready for another hot spell next week!
Old 07-02-2013, 04:38 PM   #983

Back from Alaska, Fairbanks, dome train to Denali, couple of nights at Kantishna, 95 miles inside the park. McKinley Explorer this time to Anchorage, flight to Juneau. Boarded The Wilderness Discoverer, 62 passanger small ship for 7 days inner passage cruise to Ketchican. Not typical NW weather sunny and 70-80. Had a terrific time, but glad to be home. House/pet sitter reported 2 different black bears in the yard, while we were gone.

100_2721.jpg
Old 07-02-2013, 05:55 PM   #984

None planned now. Just returned from Copan and Marcala Honduras doing some volunteer water engineering work. Beautiful country, but has its hazards.

One night went to a bar and the dude singing was ~60, been there 17 years from my state, not that good. The place and he were just like a typical expat banana republic cliche from a Buffet/Jerry Jeff Walker/Delbert Mclinton song! I love to travel to places like this but can't see making it home.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:46 PM   #985
Full time employment: Posting here.

At the Hong Kong airport now waiting for my fight to Singapore. Staying a few days and then off to Indonesia for some nature and walks.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:38 AM   #986
Full time employment: Posting here.

Here are my 16 favorite photos I took in Venice this May. My intent as a photographer was to make images of the less obvious places and people.

Venice - The Best - a set on Flickr
Old 07-04-2013, 03:22 AM   #987
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItDontMeanAThing View Post
Here are my 16 favorite photos I took in Venice this May. My intent as a photographer was to make images of the less obvious places and people.

Venice - The Best - a set on Flickr
+1

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 07-04-2013, 05:34 AM   #988
Give me a forum ...

Great pictures of Venice! Never been, but I love the mood you captured. Faves are laundry and boat in a patch of sunlight.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:28 AM   #989

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
Back from Alaska, Fairbanks, dome train to Denali, couple of nights at Kantishna, 95 miles inside the park. McKinley Explorer this time to Anchorage, flight to Juneau. Boarded The Wilderness Discoverer, 62 passanger small ship for 7 days inner passage cruise to Ketchican. Not typical NW weather sunny and 70-80.
Amazing! We may have been very near each other. Your trip was nearly identical to the trip we just returned from.

A week on the 62-pax Lindblad/National Geographic Sea Bird from Sitka to Juneau, then four nights at North Face Lodge (practically next door to Kantishna), then the dome train to Anchorage.

The entire trip was such unbelievably great weather that the Alaska veterans could hardly believe it. Would have been perfect except that it was peak mosquito season in Denali NP.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:53 PM   #990

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Amazing! We may have been very near each other. Your trip was nearly identical to the trip we just returned from.

A week on the 62-pax Lindblad/National Geographic Sea Bird from Sitka to Juneau, then four nights at North Face Lodge (practically next door to Kantishna), then the dome train to Anchorage.

The entire trip was such unbelievably great weather that the Alaska veterans could hardly believe it. Would have been perfect except that it was peak mosquito season in Denali NP.
We saw your ship in dock in Juneau June 15th, had a great lunch at the Hanger on the Wharf Pub. We set sail the same day. In Denali we stayed at the Kantishna Roadhouse, took many cloudless photos of the hill. Ms G wants to do Lindblad/NG for the Galapagos. Took the McKinley Explorer Fairbanks south to Denali, and than south to Anchorage. One leg would have been enough, but I will only see it once in this lifetime. Sorry no mosquitos where we hiked, saw all the big critters, but wolves, did see some fresh tracks.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:18 PM   #991

Quote:

We saw your ship in dock in Juneau June 15th.
That would have been the Sea Lion (sister ship) which was one day ahead of us. The two are identical except the name.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:29 AM   #992

Quote:
Sorry no mosquitos where we hiked
No personal encounters with the Alaska state bird?

I hate you.
Seriously.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:03 PM   #993
Give me a forum ...

Not 'planned', but on the "hmmm" list (with a bunch of other places)......Romania; read previous posts by people who'd been there a couple years back...anyone with (more) recent experience?

Have never taken a tour, and dread the idea of eventually having to take one, (Dylan Thomas-ish, we "Do not go gentle into that good night")......wondering about taking trains/renting a car.......any suggestions?

Old 07-05-2013, 08:12 PM   #994
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Not 'planned', but on the "hmmm" list (with a bunch of other places)......Romania; read previous posts by people who'd been there a couple years back...anyone with (more) recent experience?

Have never taken a tour, and dread the idea of eventually having to take one, (Dylan Thomas-ish, we "Do not go gentle into that good night")......wondering about taking trains/renting a car.......any suggestions?
We will be doing some stuff in Romania this month. I just booked 11 of us in a cool fortified church in Sibiu for a night. There is a party there before we take on the Transfaragasan (the best road in the world, according to Top Gear) and then we head to a beach party just north of Constanta on Oha beach, which looks beautiful.

I will let you know how it goes, but I can tell you the Romanians we have met as part of the rally have been the nicest, most helpful, and most fun folks you can imagine. Who knew?

Old 07-05-2013, 09:02 PM   #995
Moderator Emeritus

August 5th through 18th in Minot, ND. Just to help drill some new wells.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:56 AM   #996
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
We will be doing some stuff in Romania this month. I just booked 11 of us in a cool fortified church in Sibiu for a night. There is a party there before we take on the Transfaragasan (the best road in the world
What is this, some kind of invasion?

Love to hear about the logistics of this operation......are you renting the vehicles, buying them, shipping them? How many people involved, etc, etc? (I figure any peripheral info I can acquire can go into the 'stored data file' for possible reference down the road.)

Looked at pics of the highway.......some parts looked like coastal roads I'd taken in Greece and elsewhere...others the Saudi desert.

Eagerly anticipating your trip pics.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:50 AM   #997
Recycles dryer sheets

Just back from Central/Eastern Europe for three weeks. Czech Republic, Poland, Ukraine, and Hungary. My DW speaks several Slavic languages, so that made the trip easier. We took sleeper trains between the major cities, at times a trying experience. DW still has cousins in Ukraine, so that was really the highlight of the trip.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:22 AM   #998
Recycles dryer sheets

5 months from ER and am in travel planning and drooling stage. So hard to think I will be able to go at any time, any where!
Old 07-06-2013, 12:05 PM   #999
Give me a forum ...

Next week is our annual houseboat excursion, aka Booze Cruise. Plan is to wander around in the Smokies for a few days afterward, though the weather forecast indicates lots of rain.

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 07-06-2013, 08:57 PM   #1000
Give me a forum ...

Nemo, it is an invasion! But we are invading Mongolia instead of the other way around!
Easy answers here: www.teamdixiechickens.com.
That's my bus and my team. The other 287 teams are taking tiny cars to Mongolia, but we are doing the rally as part of a short bus circumnavigation. It is an epically insane idea that was allowed to grow into an actual plan thanks to a total lack of adult supervision.
Feel free to ask questions at will. My logistic skills are at full stretch on this piece of madness, but I'm getting a lot of help!

HFWR--Love the booze cruise! Y'all have fun!

Closed Thread