Anyone got any travel planned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just booked a week in the Okanagan Valley for winery tours in mid-September. Half the time staying at Naramata Bench, the rest at Osoyoos in the south. Travelling with another couple, we booked 2BR suites in both places.

It should be a gastronomic delight. Plus many mellow moments!

Just booked a week in the Okanagan Valley for winery tours in mid-September. Half the time staying at Naramata Bench, the rest at Osoyoos in the south. Travelling with another couple, we booked 2BR suites in both places.

It should be a gastronomic delight. Plus many mellow moments!

I'd love to hear a bit about it after your trip, I'm just 3.5 hours southeast of Osoyoos but have never been up that way.

We know the proprietors of 2 vineyards: Burrowing Owl and Rustico Estate. Be glad to report back around September 21st.

DW and I are traveling to Sarasota & Dunedin, FL for several days; checking them out as potential retirement locations. Would be interested in what suggestions folks have on what to see and where to visit.

DW and I are traveling to Sarasota & Dunedin, FL for several days; checking them out as potential retirement locations. Would be interested in what suggestions folks have on what to see and where to visit.
If I was coming as a tourist I would spend an afternoon in downtown Sarastota checking out the shops and stopping at one of the many outside cafes ( providing it is not too hot ) for an appetizer & a glass of wine . I would also spend an evening there at one of the jazz cafes . I would take a ride through St. Armand's and stop at Columbia restaurant for there 1925 salad and another glass of wine . I would continue through St. Armands & drive through Longboat Key connecting to Anna Marie Island . I would eat lunch at one of the beachside restaurants ( probably the beach house ) and just enjoy the view . I would then return via the bridge to Bradenton which would connect to rt.41 where I would pass the Ringling Museum and stop for a visit . Another day I would drive down Rt.41 to VeniceFl.after another lunch with wine of course I would drive to Casperon Beach ( a totally natural beach ) and since you pass Sharky's on the way back another libation . Heading back on route 41 I would turn left on Albee road , follow that to the beach and turn right onto Casey Key . Drive past unbelievable homes including Stephen King"s until you reach the end and connect up with rt.41 again.Do not believe the toursit booklets that Phillipi Creek Oyster Bar is good . It is awful ! Good seafood is at little dives close to the bay . Have a great trip !

If you have any time left after following Moemg's excellent itinerary, stop in at John's Pass in St Pete's Beach on the way to Dunedin.

For a good meal, I highly recommend Yoder's Restaurant at 3434 Bahia Vista St., Sarasota FL. Great food at a better than fair price. The fried chicken is excellent.

... stopping at one of the many outside cafes ( providing it is not too hot ) for an appetizer & a glass of wine ... stop at Columbia restaurant for there 1925 salad and another glass of wine ... after another lunch with wine of course I would drive to Casperon Beach ( a totally natural beach ) and since you pass Sharky's on the way back another libation .

(Bolding mine, not Moemg's.)

I would recommend if Huston55 follow this advice he should be the passenger and not the driver.

The leading and high-lighted headline in ABCNews website right now is :
New terror threat: surgically implanted bombs.

Now how would it change the TSA inspection process?

Last edited:
The leading and high-lighted headline in ABCNews website right now is :
New terror threat: surgically implanted bombs.

Now how would it change the TSA inspection process?

Reminds me of a scene in the movie "Total Recall", where Arnold goes thru the total body x-ray.

Maybe terrorism will drive us to 'virtual' vacations.

CANADIAN ROCKIES...

We are flying into Vancouver, B C next week...1 night at Westin Bayshore Inn (anyone have restaurant recommendations?)..then joining a tour that has us on VIA train overnight, than next afternoon arrive in Jasper ...to start trip that includes 2 nights there, at Lake Louise and Banff...most nights in Fairmont hotels...with little adventures, like whitewater rafting, scattered throughout the trip, but also lots of time on our own to explore, ending in Calgary. This will be our second 'tour'...first was a train type vacation mostly in Switzerland, a bit of Italy, earlier this year...mainly because the cost was actually less than what we could have arranged on our own, renting a car...and all the details of train tickets, hotels, etc taken care of. Also stayed in lovely hotels and some meals included...lots of wine too...nice in such an expensive country. One of the biggest advantages...DH can enjoy the scenery! But next year we are going to do another driving vacation in France again...before we are too old! So much to see there. Almost forgot...in November...off to Rome for a few days before starting a cruise that will have most port stops in Spain....working on our bucket list!
That sounds great! It also sounds pretty expensive - do you mind sharing about what such a tour costs?

The scenery there is just spectacular, so you will enjoy that very much.

My DD has a big break between college terms coming up, and it's likely to be the last one while she's living at home. At least that's my excuse for taking her to Italy for her first trip! And then my niece just graduated from university with a degree in Art History so I invited her along.

We leave in 2 weeks. I've rented apartments in Rome, Florence, and Monterosso al Mare in the Cinque Terre, and plan a quick zip over to Padua for a few days. Fly into Rome, 3 weeks later fly out of Milan. I'm brushing up on my Italian and am very excited! I've been several times, but it will be so fun to see it through the eyes of these 2 young people!

Going to Copenhagen in 6 hours for the long weekend [Mod edit] to visit old friends. We will stay in the hotel in Lyngby I stayed in 30 years ago. Probably won't do much touristy things. Buy the boy another Hard Rock Cafe shirt. Ride the trains. Walking tours of Copenhagen (gastronomic and hopefully a pub crawl). Maybe another canal cruise--my boat fix this summer. Eat and drink. Watch the sun come up. Esta bien.

Cheers from Baku.

el Gitano

Last edited by a moderator:
Going to Greeneville SC area on the 16th. A week with my uncle and aunt. Exploring the Blue Ridge Parkway, also a side trip to Maggie Valley in NC. Looking forward to it..........:)

DW and I are doing a European wine cruise in October. Stops include Bordeaux region of France, Rioja region of Spain, and Porto Portugal among others.

Just got back from a 10 day cycling tour. My first long distance one. Biked from Toronto to NYC.

Waterfront Trail from Toronto to Niagara Falls, Erie Canal Trail from N. Falls to Albany and the Hudson River (SBR9) from Albany to NYC. Some very pretty small towns along the way and the Erie Canal can be quite picturesque. Ended up doing 1001 kms in total over 9 days, including my "victory lap" around Central Park.

Would recommend the Waterfront Trail for cycling, highly recommend the Erie Canal Trail for cycling and would not at all recommend SBR9 for cycling (anywhere between Rensselaer and Nyack).

It was quite something to ride my own bike across the GW Bridge and around Central Park. Overall, I was quite impressed with how cycle friendly NYC was. Stayed the last night in Jersey City, just a water taxi ride away from Manhattan. It was my first Airbnb stay and I thought it was good. Also, used Warmshowers.org (the cycling site) and had a good experience too.

Attachments

• Bike Trip 105.jpg
    Bike Trip 105.jpg
    645.1 KB · Views: 5
Going to Greeneville SC area on the 16th. A week with my uncle and aunt. Exploring the Blue Ridge Parkway, also a side trip to Maggie Valley in NC. Looking forward to it..........:)

We just got back from Greenville last week end (Thurs and Fri). Stayed downtown at the Courtyard Marriott so we could walk to everything. They close a section of Main St. and have music. It was great. The also have a great bike path. We love it there.
We are doing the Blue Ridge Parkway in Oct. from Boone to the northern end
Always a great trip.

Enjoy

We are going on a Alaska Cruise 4 weeks from this Fri. on Celebrity Solstice out of Seattle.
Got 2 free RT tickets by getting a Airtran Visa and spending $1,000 in the 1st
3 months then transferred the vouchers to Southwest.
This will be our 13th Cruise and 1st to Alaska .
Looking forward to it.

We made it to San Diego in April (we're Midwesterners), heading to Napa Valley in a few weeks for a family wedding, then southern Arizona in Feb. (free place to stay) and St George, Utah next September because it's been on our bucket list for years. Will visit Zion, Bryce and north rim of Grand Canyon. And just starting the planning phase of visiting Glacier. Hubby's been there, I have not.

DH and I are going to Nepal and Bhutan in October... This will be our third trip to Asia (but first time to those countries). Spending 3 days in Bangkok on the way home.

DH and I are going to Nepal and Bhutan in October... This will be our third trip to Asia (but first time to those countries). Spending 3 days in Bangkok on the way home.

"One night in Bangkok makes a hard man humble"........;)

We just got back from Greenville last week end (Thurs and Fri). Stayed downtown at the Courtyard Marriott so we could walk to everything. They close a section of Main St. and have music. It was great. The also have a great bike path. We love it there.
We are doing the Blue Ridge Parkway in Oct. from Boone to the northern end
Always a great trip.

Enjoy

We will be there this weekend, dropping my DS off at Clemson and then doing some relaxing. What nights do they close Main St?

We will be there this weekend, dropping my DS off at Clemson and then doing some relaxing. What nights do they close Main St?
We were they on a Thurs. and Fri. and both nights they had a section of
Main St. closed and they had live music.
Not sure about Sat.

Heading to Toronto for the week for my annual grandkids fix tomorrow.

Used Hotwire to book a rental car and got a Hertz. Flights were all one stopover for the same price as the airline direct flights.

Next week, we are heading up north to Portland, stopping to meet a 'beagle in law' along the way. After a few days in the Portland area, visiting several friends, we're taking 84 along the Columbia and cutting up northeast to Spokane and Coeur d'Alene, where I'll be reunited with 2 friends I haven't seen for a very long time.

For all the years we spent beating I-5 up to Portland, we've never been east, so we look forward to the drive along the Columbia River and to see new sights.

The beagles are going with us, so they'll get lots of new walks along the way. They love a good road trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom