Anyone got any travel planned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
DW and I will be in Halifax, NS this weekend (Thu-Sun). I have a meeting Friday but otherwise there for pleasure. Any local suggestions for food/drink/music?

If you like raucous Maritime and Newfie music, try the Lower Deck.
Lower Deck Halifax, HRM, Nova Scotia

The Granite Pub/Brewery used to be sworn by but they've closed down the pub part to focus on being a brewery. You could go to any of the pubs where they
sell the beer though... pretty much guaranteed a good drink anyway.
Granite Brewery - Halifax

If you don't mind an hour drive down the road, I've had some amazing seafood fresh off the boats in Lunenburg. You could drop by and see Peggys Cove on the way there or back too.

Oh my, mh--those are incredible! Wow--I've been trying to fit in a trip up there sometime, but I swear, your photos just reminded me again how much I want to see Iceland. I keep having friends go there and when I see their pictures I am so jealous!

Awesome. Just awesome!

Oh my, mh--those are incredible! Wow--I've been trying to fit in a trip up there sometime, but I swear, your photos just reminded me again how much I want to see Iceland. I keep having friends go there and when I see their pictures I am so jealous!

Awesome. Just awesome!

+1

Awesome. Just awesome!

Then you really must check out this Youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9z6V6wWl1sRKfp7PZqvp9Q

and this flight video with music:

Last edited:

Glad you like the pics. Iceland air has decent economy seats ( my legs fit )
They also have a deal where they fly to various euro destinations and you can layover in Reykjavik for up to 4 or 5 days ( don't remember the exact length ). Icelandic mountain guides were the outfit that ran the guided trek. I would recommend them . I think they did a great job.

Glad you like the pics. Iceland air has decent economy seats ( my legs fit ) They also have a deal where they fly to various euro destinations and you can layover in Reykjavik for up to 4 or 5 days ( don't remember the exact length ). Icelandic mountain guides were the outfit that ran the guided trek. I would recommend them . I think they did a great job.

Great pics, but did you know that every Tom, Dick, and HFWR can see your friends list?

Awesome. Just awesome!

+1

Great pics, but did you know that every Tom, Dick, and HFWR can see your friends list?

yeah. but i don't put anything on FB that i don't expect everyone in the world to see. but i tightened up since it doesn't really have to be wide open. thanks..

Will be spending next week in Denver. I'm one of the judges at Great American Beer Festival.

Any beer lover who has never been to GABF should seriously consider doing it at least once. Tickets go on sale at the end of July every year and normally sell out within hours, but there is usually no problem buying a ticket outside the building from one of the many scalpers on the sidewalk.

I've been judging out there since 2002 and I still enjoy it every year. This time will be more fun than usual because since DW recently retired she will be going with me for the first time. She's not a beer drinker but loves Colorado.

Booked & paid. London & Rembrandt Hotel. Unfortunately only a week but it was $1452.

New question. Debit card & AmEx? Debit links to all accounts so I don't want to risk losing card. I closed my visa and master card and normally just do cash. But I hate leftover €s or £s afterwards. WWYD?

Booked & paid. London & Rembrandt Hotel. Unfortunately only a week but it was $1452.

New question. Debit card & AmEx? Debit links to all accounts so I don't want to risk losing card. I closed my visa and master card and normally just do cash. But I hate leftover €s or £s afterwards. WWYD?

That's a great hotel ! I've stayed there twice. Once on business and once with DW. Can't beat the location.

Thought it was a good deal. RT SFO to London + hotel = $1452 pp. :)

Which time of the year?

Does it include the hotel taxes, which run like 15-20%?

Which site did you get the package from?

I decided on Friday afternoon to go to Banff and Jasper Monday morning, just me and the dog. I think it is about a 12 hour drive from Portland. I have not been there before but I know it is beautiful. I am hoping to see a lot of wildlife.

Since it is Thanksgiving weekend (Happy Thanksgiving !) we decided to get out of town and are in Pittsburgh. Really quite enjoying it. Amazing topography and quite the party town. Seems like the city is back on the upswing. Lots of arts, restaurants, trails and such. Going to see the giant rubber ducky they have floating in one of the rivers this morning (DW idea for sure)

Also, used Hotwire for the first time based on the recommendations here. Great service, saved a ton of money on the hotel room.

I'm at the 10th annual Ubud Writer's Festival in Bali over the long Idul Adha weekend holiday. As a scientist I don't get this side of my brain stimulated so much. The emphasis is on international women's rights this year, and there have been some very impressive speakers. An especially interesting one gave a first person view of the inside of the uprisings in Egypt over the past couple of years.

We are leaving on a five day cruise. It's a quick easy get away since we can drive to the port ( Tampa ) . Plus the price could not be beat .

DH and I are meeting my sis and her husband at a B&B that is half way between us. We live eight hours drive apart, so we do these "meet up" trips a couple times a year.

We are going on a 7 day Rhine river cruise over Thanksgiving week - Amsterdam to Switzerland. Just got to pack the warm clothes!

I'm at the 10th annual Ubud Writer's Festival in Bali over the long Idul Adha weekend holiday. As a scientist I don't get this side of my brain stimulated so much. The emphasis is on international women's rights this year, and there have been some very impressive speakers. An especially interesting one gave a first person view of the inside of the uprisings in Egypt over the past couple of years.

That's the type of event that I would love to go to*. Maybe next year.

* My first major FIRE project is an MFA in creative writing.

Managed to get a trip down to New Zealand in early December on Asia Miles (Cathay Pacific's milage programme) which was really surprising as they usually just say that no seats are available. I knew I did all that business travelling for a reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom