Anyone got any travel planned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Headed to Paris, Barcelona, Madrid and Lisbon in early May of next year.

Let me know how this works. I'm planning on a Paris to Lyon-Barcelona (River Cruise) then to Mallorca trip in August-September of next year. I've locked down almost all lodging and trying to maximize airfare using FF miles. Toying with the idea of further complicating the trip with going to Munich then Paris before our main event.

Retired in June and did a number of domestic trips to Chicago, Palm Springs/Palm Desert and New York City since then. Our plans are to travel stateside every other year and abroad the alternate year.

Let me know how this works. I'm planning on a Paris to Lyon-Barcelona (River Cruise) then to Mallorca trip in August-September of next year. I've locked down almost all lodging and trying to maximize airfare using FF miles. Toying with the idea of further complicating the trip with going to Munich then Paris before our main event.

Retired in June and did a number of domestic trips to Chicago, Palm Springs/Palm Desert and New York City since then. Our plans are to travel stateside every other year and abroad the alternate year.

Will do. We aren't retired yet, but we love to travel to Europe. This year we did a whirlwind, Berlin, Dresden, Prague, Vienna, Bratislava, Budapest and it was great.

We are planning on flying into London and catching the Eurostar simply because it is easier with FF miles. Night train from Paris to Barcelona and then renting a car in Barcelona so we can explore the countryside of Spain on our way to Madrid and Lisbon.

I haven't gotten lodging squared away yet but we are staying on points there as well, Marriott or Starwood.

Planning is a big part of the fun for me.

Long weekend in Singapore (visiting my son who commutes once a month from U.S.) then on for a week in Bangkok (where my wife will be working), then back to Manila for Thanksgiving.....

We are traveling to the Turks & Caicos next week for a 2 week scuba/R&R vacation. It is our first trip there, but we were surprised how reasonable the flights are (compared with diving/travel in the South Pacific) and we booked waterfront lodging at great off season prices....! We spend 1 week on Provo (main island) and 1 week on Salt Cay at a B & B on the beach...can't wait to leave the dreary Seattle weather for the carribean. :dance:

Arizona in early December for a few days, followed by a Caribbean cruise from Fort Lauderdale over Christmas. SA cruise and land trip in Feb/March timeframe.

I am one of the rare folks who actually reacted to the vaccine for yellow fever (or maybe it was the typhoid) and was majorly sick for 2 days with chills, aches, and super high fever. It sucked, but I am glad to have them done!

About a week after getting all our travel shots, I got a wicked headache that lasted about eight days. I haven't had a headache since I quit work, so I'm thinking it must have been a side affect to one or more of the vaccinations we received. It's gone now, and I sincerely hope for good!

We have Key West, FL and Ecuador all planned out and ready for next month, and I'm now working on a four week RV trip to New Mexico in the spring, followed by a ten week RV trip to/through the N. Plain states for summer. All will cover brand new territory and I'm equally excited to do all three.

We have Key West, FL and Ecuador all planned out and ready for next month, and I'm now working on a four week RV trip to New Mexico in the spring, followed by a ten week RV trip to/through the N. Plain states for summer. All will cover brand new territory and I'm equally excited to do all three.

You are living my dream. After 30 plus years of serving over seas I am ready to explore my own country.

That will be in an RV that's already in the driveway, I suspect. I was curious, how much detail do your plans have? I mean, could it be five and nine weeks? Or do you book everythkng in advance? I don't know anything about longer term RVing...only did a rental and the megacorp had the stopwatch running while I was gone, so felt compelled to pre-book each one-day stop.

That will be in an RV that's already in the driveway, I suspect. I was curious, how much detail do your plans have? I mean, could it be five and nine weeks? Or do you book everythkng in advance? I don't know anything about longer term RVing...only did a rental and the megacorp had the stopwatch running while I was gone, so felt compelled to pre-book each one-day stop.

Yes, it will, though it's actually in our garage, not our driveway. :)

We started off in a pop up folding trailer about six years before we FIRE'd, then upgraded to a hard sided folding trailer (See Easy Towing Lightweight Travel Trailers|Trailmanor Travel Trailers for specs on our specific trailer choice) at the point we achieved FIRE. We've owned it for 18 months, and have already spent 150 nights in it. Our goal was 100 days a year of RV'ing, so we're right on track.

Currently I do pre-book everything, doing a ton of online research beforehand to determine how long we'll be staying at each location. We have a bad habit of trying to see a whole lot each time we go out, probably a bit more than makes sense, but we do have a heck of a good time as a result. Plus, I really enjoy doing the research.

There are lots of reasons to approach RV'ing with a more relaxed approach, but I prefer to know what we're doing when, though we always have the option to change our plans if we wish. I do think you'll probably spend the same amount of time making plans either way, it's just a matter of whether you do it in advance, or on the fly.

Last edited:
We are rather the opposite - took off on a whim last Friday and went 'south'. Did two months in Alaska in the same manner. Michigan last month. This week we ended up around Taladega National Forest. Stop when we feel like stopping. Stay until we feel like leaving. I used to get stressed out trying to keep to pre-reserved locations, or even just pre-planned routes. Now I don't stress and I enjoy the drive, not just the destination. I think we've also wandered into some great places we would never have 'planned' to visit. We have travelled all our 36 years of marriage - still too much to see.

My RV trips are planned very loosely. I do map out a rough itinerary, but once en route often make detours, or vary the planned stay duration at each spot depending on how the place fits my original expectations.

Yep, being able to be spontaneous in traveling is a luxury one has in retirement, though in the past we have had to come back to town on certain dates due to previous engagements for parental care.

Haven't retired yet but have a lot of travel coming up. India next week, then Ireland in March and Poland/Sweden in July. Trying to visit NZ and Australia in October potentially.

Just got back from west Texas (Odessa & Midland, Snyder, Brownfield, Andrews, Post, and some other small towns.:D)

Just got back from west Texas (Odessa & Midland, Snyder, Brownfield, Andrews, Post, and some other small towns.:D)
Wow...you were that close to Langtry and you passed it up? :LOL:

Gathering items now for our departure for Italy , Greece and Turkey next week.

When we return I'll go with DH for a few days to Florida while he does some consulting .

For the holidays DD and apparently serious boy (Man? ) friend fly in here then we will all fly out to make the rounds so the grandparents on both sides can meet brave boyfriend. (They have been here to visit before).

Probably another FL trip in Jan, same ( w*&k) reason. Lovely area and weather not bad in Jan.

Feb- Mar. Big trip (DH big bucket item) now that he is part time and no longer at his on call 24/7 megacorp job- A month in Australia .

Kinda hope we stay home in April . However something will probably come up.

Less than a month after returning from a week in Barcelona, followed by a trans-Atlantic repositioning cruise.......we're off again......leaving for Rome, (via Aeroflot, with a four hour layover in Moscow......perhaps we'll get to bomb Chechnya on the way? ;)), for a couple days before catching another discounted repositioning cruise with another line...heading back to Ft. Lauderdale.

(Since we don't use the spas, visit the 'cost extra' fancy restaurants, run up bar bills, buy 'stuff' in the stores, take the expensive shore excursions, have our pics taken by their photographers, etc, etc, they don't make a whole lot of money off us.)

Last edited:
Going to Singapore next week for a sibling's wedding anniversary. Expect lots of big meals and catch up.

Less than a month after returning from a week in Barcelona, followed by a trans-Atlantic repositioning cruise.......we're off again......leaving for Rome, (via Aeroflot, with a four hour layover in Moscow......perhaps we'll get to bomb Chechnya on the way? ;)), for a couple days before catching another discounted repositioning cruise with another line...heading back to Ft. Lauderdale.

(Since we don't use the spas, visit the 'cost extra' fancy restaurants, run up bar bills, buy 'stuff' in the stores, take the expensive shore excursions, have our pics taken by their photographers, etc, etc, they don't make a whole lot of money off us.)

Nemo-

I'd like to hear how you like the repositioning cruises. Service, all the 'at sea' time, entertainment, cost?

Also, if you've not visited Moscow, strongly suggest you stay a couple days to visit, then head on to Rome. It's pretty easy, and a world class city that deserves a visit.

Nemo-

I'd like to hear how you like the repositioning cruises. Service, all the 'at sea' time, entertainment, cost?

Also, if you've not visited Moscow, strongly suggest you stay a couple days to visit, then head on to Rome. It's pretty easy, and a world class city that deserves a visit.
Unfortunately it's too late to extend our flight with a Moscow stopover since the ship departs Civitavecchia a week from today..........perhaps next time....(we have a friend who visits Russia frequently and really enjoys it).

As to the repositioning cruises, last month's was the first I've done, although back in the 1960s I travelled on a number of ocean liners to & from Australia and Europe, (much smaller ships, around 24K tons as opposed to the behemoths afloat these days)..........we took the first cruise both due to the cost reductions, (a relatively cheap way of getting back from Europe), and because my wife had never been aboard a ship and this offered ports of call and a transatlantic crossing.

We found Holland America to be first rate, (discounting the fact that lines such as Silversea, Paul Gaugin and Seabourn, etc, are probably first rate X quadruple plus), and will undoubtedly be evaluating Celebrity using H.A. as a benchmark.

Cost: One has to consider that the base advertised price does not include such things as port/government taxes, (the possibility of fuel surcharges), and 'mandatory gratuity' (a bit of an oxymoron) charges...........however, when you factor in meals/accommodation/ ports of call/time at sea, etc, it beats flying by the proverbial country mile.

Entertainment: Apparently there was lots of it, (or so my wife tells me), but we weren't interested.....(although we attended a couple 'lectures', my wife took in a couple digital photography workshops, and we went to a movie)...........we spent a fair bit of time up in the library, either reading or looking out at the view; took out a couple of the many DVDs available, and walked the promenade deck..........(plus I managed to do stairs, (found the gym too damn hot), at around 4-5 a.m. when there was no-one around).

At sea time: Love it! (Although I was hoping for a little 'inclement' weather just to see how a ship that size (and the passengers) coped with it.

Added: I guess it all depends upon one's priorities.......it was apparent that some/many (but not all) of the passengers enjoyed 'getting dressed up' (we don't, although not knowing what to expect we brought too many clothes.......none of which came close to the suit & tie/long dresses crowd), 'dining' (the only time we didn't eat at the buffet was to celebrate my wife's 61st birthday), and being entertained...........we were there simply for the trip.

Last edited:
Tucson for four days then a 14 day Caribbean cruise over Chistmas.

Two weeks in Chile, South American cruise, two weeks in Argentina and Uruguay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom