Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 04:35 PM   #1261
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
This will be our 5th year of traveling for 5+ months each year. I'm sure we'll tire of it eventually, or our bodies will shout ENOUGH ALREADY!
Or a grandchild will show up ! Good bye Tasmania Hello Toys r us !
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2014, 07:40 PM   #1262
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

There are a lot more people announcing expensive travel plans this year than previous. Or is it my imagination?

The market is doing well, that's for sure. Hey, I am flush too, but because my health may not recover sufficiently for full travel enjoyment, I am not making any plan right now. So, I am envious. Maybe we will travel in fall.

All this spending will feed the global economic boom, as I read that businesses may also increase cap ex. I like it! I will hold off on any further rebalancing for a while to enjoy the ride up.

Here's to our wealth, until the next bust!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 01-16-2014, 08:27 PM   #1263
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We are cruising to Eastern Caribbean next month. Gotta spend that RMD, don't ya know? Plus, we gotta do it while we still can.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:14 AM   #1264

Seven day cruise tomorrow and again in Feb. Both times just to exercise, use the Thallasotherapy pool, steam room, dining room and relax with a book and a beer. Then a few months later we have air tickets to Scotland with a car rental for 2 weeks to see what we can see. We are looking forward to visiting some old castles and lochs. I have a few mobility issues that limits any strenuous walking but my wife is excited to hike the highlands.

Cheers!
Old 01-17-2014, 09:32 AM   #1265
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
Seven day cruise tomorrow and again in Feb.
One of the benefits of living in Florida would be the ease of hopping on a last-minute cruise. Enjoy!
Old 01-17-2014, 10:57 AM   #1266
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazingus View Post
I'm planning to ride my motorcycle to Alaska in June. 8500 miles in three weeks. Practicing this weekend with a 1400 mile, three-day jaunt through the Trans-Pecos region of Texas (Big Bend, Presidio,Alpine,etc). This also involves tent-camping!
Hey, I'd love a PM with any of your route planning. We'll be leaving from Seattle and heading north for a bit before returning to the lower 48 and across in the bus, probably late May-early June. I'm working a plan for the Cassiar (side trip to Stewart from Meziadin Lake) and then up to the Alcan. Debating whether making it to the Arctic Circle is bucket-list important, or if we should just turn right and make our way back down through Jasper and all that to Hwy 93.

We've got four weeks total, and the plan calls for a good sized layover in Denver area for breweries and the Trail Ridge Road, as well as some other sites out west, so we don't have a huge amount of time for BC/Yukon region.

Appreciate any help, and maybe we'll see you on the road. Can't miss the big yellow school bus, that's for sure!

Old 01-17-2014, 11:56 AM   #1267
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
We've got four weeks total, and the plan calls for a good sized layover in Denver area for breweries and the Trail Ridge Road, as well as some other sites out west, so we don't have a huge amount of time for BC/Yukon region.
This wouldn't have anything to do with recent developments in Colorado, would it?

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 01-17-2014, 01:35 PM   #1268
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
This wouldn't have anything to do with recent developments in Colorado, would it?
Cough, cough, we do have a few members of the bus passenger union who specifically requested the Colorado stop.

I want to go to Shambala Mountain Center and a whole bunch of breweries, myself.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:04 AM   #1269

Quote:
Cough, cough, we do have a few members of the bus passenger union who specifically requested the Colorado stop.

I want to go to Shambala Mountain Center and a whole bunch of breweries, myself.
Inhaling more slowly will fix that.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:21 AM   #1270
Administrator

Quote:

That's one heck of an itinerary, and it is admirable how you go out of your way to accommodate your fellow travelers.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:17 AM   #1271
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Is it a matter of time before they suggest you repaint the bus from its current boring yellow color?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 01-19-2014, 07:02 AM   #1272

Ha, ha, ha, reminds me I have parts of an old painted bus on the ranch. Just west of me is Dripping Springs, my fellow Americans, were growing pot here as it is one of the only year round sources of water. I have a LE (law enforcement) friend that would do half-hearted searches here just to watch the circus. Lots of free love, chanting, and nudity. Gee I miss those days, I think I will get out the drum.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 01-19-2014, 08:05 AM   #1273
Recycles dryer sheets

Going on a one month Pacific cruise to central and south America. Farthest south is Lima, Peru for 3 days.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:18 PM   #1274
Give me a forum ...

I love the paint job on that bus!! Maybe before we do the PanAmerican we will have to improve ours like it! Right now it is covered with signatures, place names, and well-wishes in every language we encountered on the trip. Lots of Russian writing, among others.

I do what I can to make the bus ride harmonious, lol. I do have a lot more folks keen for that leg than the one through the Yukon and northern British Columbia, that's for sure.

Old 01-19-2014, 04:31 PM   #1275
Give me a forum ...

Here's a VW for inspiration. These were slightly before my time, as I was in my mid-teen when the hippies were roaming in the US.

Traveling in a fried-out combie
On a hippie trail, head full of zombie

Old 01-19-2014, 04:33 PM   #1276

Headed down to Key West on Thursday. We've had enough of this cold weather. We've been told it will be cold down there also - about 68 for the low and 72 for highs. Right now I'll take it. DW and I went for our morning walk in 15 degree weather with a nice stiff 20 knot blow in the face.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:31 PM   #1277

I just booked a 19 day tour of the South Island of New Zealand, I will be flying out on February 5th. This tour looks perfect for me as I will be traveling solo and I like to do outdoorsy things like hiking, backpacking, swimming, etc.

Summer Blast Tour

I think this is going to be a lot of fun!!!
Old 01-19-2014, 11:08 PM   #1278
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
I just booked a 19 day tour of the South Island of New Zealand, I will be flying out on February 5th. This tour looks perfect for me as I will be traveling solo and I like to do outdoorsy things like hiking, backpacking, swimming, etc.

Summer Blast Tour

I think this is going to be a lot of fun!!!
Wow, this looks awesome and absolutely perfect for you, Helen! I hope you do indeed have a blast.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:28 AM   #1279
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfirev5 View Post
Headed down to Key West on Thursday. We've had enough of this cold weather. We've been told it will be cold down there also - about 68 for the low and 72 for highs. Right now I'll take it. DW and I went for our morning walk in 15 degree weather with a nice stiff 20 knot blow in the face.
Just visited a few weeks ago. It rained heavily the entire time we were there, but we still had an excellent trip.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:37 AM   #1280
Moderator Emeritus

I'm thinking of ways to liven up my trips to az. Starting the planning phase of a rte 66 road trip. Also Amtrak Southwest Chief from Chicago to Flagstaff and shuttle to Phoenix.
Closed Thread