Anyone got any travel planned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using Trip Advisor pretty heavily. It's been a good source in the past. And you can save trips and save hotel, restaurants, attractions, etc. Then I tell DH to log in and check it out - it's his opportunity to share his opinion.

Phones in Europe:
DH is going to pick up a couple of months of the T-Mobile no-contract "Simple Choice Plan" and nano-SIM for his (Verizon) iPhone5 which will make it easy to keep in touch at home if needed as well as roam anywhere we visit in Europe for minimal extra charges.

This is a great way to go. We came back from a few weeks in Mexico and were able to use our phones the entire time. Same with a trip up to Vancouver BC over the holidays. No issues and no extra cost. DW is going to Europe next month to visit family and not having to figure out the phone situation is a big plus. In the past, we've always dealt with SIM cards and while not too much of a pain, it was one more item to have to deal with.

The only part this doesn't solve is having a local number. For calling out, Skype + WIFI works fine (it might work over the cell network, but it might be too slow), but I'm not sure if there's an easy way to receive calls.

I don't quite get it, but maybe that's because I don't talk for hours on my phone.

When I'm traveling I just use the standard ATT international voice roaming. It's $1.50 a minute to talk to someone back home or make a quick call to someone local. Since I only talk to someone back home if it's pressing, and it rarely is, this seems like a good price especially since I don't have to lift a finger to get it.

I have bought buckets of data when traveling - I like to use maps when I'm walking around places. It's not cheap, but it's not especially expensive either. $30 for 120MB or $60 for 300MB. No need for different simms in different countries. Most of the time I use WiFi anyway.

On our last trip (2 weeks) covering The Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Slovokia, and Hungary I paid for 300MB of data. DW just turned off cellular data on her phone. This worked great. I didn't make any voice calls, but did use FaceTime audio once to talk to my DF over WiFi (free).

We use data primarily for maps and to look up info. We also used texting quite a bit in Mexico, since it was common that my family of four would go their separate ways for a while and it was an easy way for us to stay in touch. I'll admit, it's all for convenience and we could - and have - gotten by without cell phones. But if there's no extra cost, why not use it?

Editing to add: we hardly ever use voice to talk. This is true when are traveling or at home. Texting is our source of communication.

Last edited:
I have bought buckets of data when traveling - I like to use maps when I'm walking around places. It's not cheap, but it's not especially expensive either. $30 for 120MB or $60 for 300MB. No need for different simms in different countries. Most of the time I use WiFi anyway.

+1
This is what I do when I travel to Europe or Canada. We have AT&T and have always been happy with them.
The data is invaluable when you're wandering around and need to use maps for navigation, or want to Google something you just saw.

In Europe, for example, I have bought the $60 package for 300 MB for long trips, but we have found by watching carefully that 120 MB of data is perfect for a two week trip. So $30 covers it nicely.

I also spring for the messaging service (50 texts for $10). We tend to text each other a lot, since we frequently wander a city separately. So $40 each, or $80 for the two of us on a two week trip is pretty reasonable, and we don't have to mess with separate SIM cards, separate phone numbers, or anything else.

We make local phone calls so rarely when in Europe that it's usually not necessary for us to get the international roaming, but if you did need it, that's only another $30 each for 30 minutes.

Heading to Hawaii in October- used points and miles so I feel it will be more relaxing not having to feel like we paid $$$$ for the accommodations and flights.

Tonight I booked a week on Chincoteague Island for next month. Can't wait.

We have family in Europe to keep in contact with while visiting. DH and I may have to contact each other. DH will have free data and texting on his iPhone. We may need to deal with business calls from US.

That's what I do too when I travel to Europe now. I buy 120MB of international data for $30 from AT&T and that usually lasts me about 15 days (the maximum length of my stay usually). I used to have a dedicated prepaid phone in Europe, but this is much simpler. I land in Europe, turn my phone on, and I am immediately connected whether I am in France, Switzerland, Germany, or Spain. I use AT&T international voice roaming only when essential. I prefer texting, which is much cheaper.

We have family in Europe to keep in contact with while visiting. DH and I may have to contact each other. DH will have free data and texting on his iPhone. We may need to deal with business calls from US.

Oh, right, and neither of us have GSM phones. Well, DH's iPhone 5 becomes one when he changes the SIM. I had to get something that would work in Europe. I'm happy to leave my US phone at home.

In Beijing now (2nd time this year). Will fly to Hohhot, Inner Mongolia tomorrow.

will be on Maui for 2 weeks later this month. $1k each for 4 of us, flight plus 1 bdrm vacation condo (ocean view.) is this a good deal?

In Beijing now (2nd time this year). Will fly to Hohhot, Inner Mongolia tomorrow.

Nice! Having spent time in "regular" Mongolia, I've always wanted to see what it looked like across the border!

DH is in Kyrgyzstan now, traveling to Kaz and then Mongolia from the western side over the next week or so. Hoping that he keeps up his map skills and doesn't wander across the mountains into China without a visa! :D

I am surprised that Huhhot, Inner Mongolia is so large and developed. Locals are friendly here. The grassland is green and open and the Gobi desert is stunning. I like the food here too though I think I have enough lamb to last me for the rest of the year! Some photos attached. ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1407535589.274321.jpgImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1407535614.848341.jpgImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1407535637.079005.jpg

I am surprised that Huhhot, Inner Mongolia is so large and developed. Locals are friendly here. The grassland is green and open and the Gobi desert is stunning. I like the food here too though I think I have enough lamb to last me for the rest of the year! Some photos attached.
Wow!

We will buy our Wachau ticket after we arrive in Vienna. We also have to pick up our pre purchased Vienna-Budapest ticket. Bought our Budapest-Prague tickets on line at MAV this week. We knew when we were travelling so locking in for a reduced fare was the way to go. We will do the same on Trenitalia once we have finalized our Italy plans.

So far we have organized the next leg to Malta and then air to Sicily. We need to determine how long to stay in Sicily, etc (probably two weeks or so), where to go after that, and finally how to get home. We have not yet arranged any travel plans to get back in late Oct/early Nov.

The airline competition in Europe is amazing. Several of the discount airlines are not really discount when you add the surcharges. We find that the national carriers are often less expensive, all things considered, on certain flights. We have been able to stay well away from the RyanAirs and the Easyjets.

Our kids just came back from 10 days at the Los Cabos Hilton in Mexico...

Curious, I looked it up and found this site, with pictures of the Hotel and the surroundings. Must confess that I have never seen anything like it, much less been to this kind of a resort. Our idea of a super vacation was a trip to my folks little cottage in Barrington RI, on the 100 Acre Cove.
Just talked to my son, and he said they went to all five restaurants in the Hotel, and "did" all of the activities shown in the slide show, except maybe diving off the cliffs.

We're going to have to have a talk about LBYM... as they took four kids with them on the trip...

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x81345fbc03ca8a85:0x66254281038d647a!2m5!2m2!1i80!2i80!3m1!2i100!3m1!7e1!4shttps://plus.google.com/105003752747368420707/photos?hl%3Den%26socfid%3Dweb:lu:kp:placepageimage%26socpid%3D1!5scabo+hilton+-+Google+Search&sa=X&ei=Z7LrU5HhDZH4yQS8y4HIDg&ved=0CLoBEKIqMAo

Last edited:
We will buy our Wachau ticket after we arrive in Vienna. We also have to pick up our pre purchased Vienna-Budapest ticket. Bought our Budapest-Prague tickets on line at MAV this week. We knew when we were travelling so locking in for a reduced fare was the way to go. We will do the same on Trenitalia once we have finalized our Italy plans.
We'll buy our Wachau Valley combiticket either the day we arrive in Vienna (probably), or the (very early) morning of the trip.

After reviewing several Wachau Valley trip reports, we plan to get off the boat at Dürnstein, instead of the final stop at Krems. Then we can hike up to the Richard the Lion-hearted castle ruin, and then relax at the local wine tavern or bakery before catching the hourly bus (bus WL1 leaves Dürnstein Parkplatz Ost at 33 after each hour) to the Krems train station to then return to Vienna. Overwhelmingly people talk about what a lovely little town Dürnstein is.

We'll buy our Wachau Valley combiticket either the day we arrive in Vienna (probably), or the (very early) morning of the trip.

After reviewing several Wachau Valley trip reports, we plan to get off the boat at Dürnstein, instead of the final stop at Krems. Then we can hike up to the Richard the Lion-hearted castle ruin, and then relax at the local wine tavern or bakery before catching the hourly bus (bus WL1 leaves Dürnstein Parkplatz Ost at 33 after each hour) to the Krems train station to then return to Vienna. Overwhelmingly people talk about what a lovely little town Dürnstein is.

What ticket is this?

I'm going in November and thinking of a day trip, though the boats won't be running.

Viator offers this coach tour:

Wachau Valley Small-Group Tour and Wine Tasting from Vienna - Vienna | Viator

Was also thinking of this one too.

Danube Valley Day Trip from Vienna - Vienna | Viator

Durnstein is beautiful (even in the rain). I think this is a good plan. One of my group hiked up to the castle.

The Blondel inn is right in the centre of town and looks lovely, though I did not eat there.

Hotel Restaurant Sänger Blondel

The Hotel Schloss is at the top of the hill and there is a wonderful view of the Wachau Valley. Didn't eat there either, but it looked very inviting.

Hotel Schloss Dürnstein

We visited the Wachau Valley and stopped in Durnstein on a bike trip last year. Very nice.

Our kids just came back from 10 days at the Los Cabos Hilton in Mexico...

Curious, I looked it up and found this site, with pictures of the Hotel and the surroundings. Must confess that I have never seen anything like it, much less been to this kind of a resort. Our idea of a super vacation was a trip to my folks little cottage in Barrington RI, on the 100 Acre Cove.
Just talked to my son, and he said they went to all five restaurants in the Hotel, and "did" all of the activities shown in the slide show, except maybe diving off the cliffs.

We're going to have to have a talk about LBYM... as they took four kids with them on the trip...

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x81345fbc03ca8a85:0x66254281038d647a!2m5!2m2!1i80!2i80!3m1!2i100!3m1!7e1!4shttps://plus.google.com/105003752747368420707/photos?hl%3Den%26socfid%3Dweb:lu:kp:placepageimage%26socpid%3D1!5scabo+hilton+-+Google+Search&sa=X&ei=Z7LrU5HhDZH4yQS8y4HIDg&ved=0CLoBEKIqMAo

Why do they have a camel in Mexico? That is really bizarre!
Kids must have loved all those pools!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom