Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Anyone got any travel planned?
Old 02-28-2015, 09:40 PM   #1841
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5j404 View Post
Heading up to Anchorage and Fairbanks to volunteer with the Iditarod dog sled race. Can't wait!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

That sounds super cool. Make sure to update us when you get back.

http://iditarod.com/resources/volunteers/

Sent from my TRS-80 and my ISP Compuserve
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2015, 05:46 AM   #1842
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Leaving for the Caribbean in a couple of weeks. This winter weather better cease & desist - if I get stuck in an airport overnight due to storms, this will be the last time DH gets my rear end on a plane. I hate flying on a good day. Wish those Star Trek Transporters would get perfected soon.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:50 AM   #1843

Leaving for Cabo in 24 hrs for 4 days. Last minute trip as I am tired of the cold and snow. No plans but to set on the beach read and stay warm.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 03-01-2015, 08:44 AM   #1844

Hopefully going to Brazil again this year, probably November. Right now we are thinking Iguaçu Falls.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:11 AM   #1845

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
Right now we are thinking Iguaçu Falls.

We went back in 2002. What a wonderful experience! If you go, and have an adventurous side, ride one of the boats that goes up underneath Devil's Throat Falls.

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Old 03-01-2015, 12:41 PM   #1846

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
We went back in 2002. What a wonderful experience! If you go, and have an adventurous side, ride one of the boats that goes up underneath Devil's Throat Falls.

Yes..that sounds like fun. I'm finding that I'm more adventurous than I thought, in my old age. Did you cross over to the Argentina side or were you in Argentina and cross over to Brazil? I'm a little concerned about re entering Brazil if we cross over to Argentina for a day. I don't know how Brazil would handle our visa if we popped over then back.

Old 03-01-2015, 01:18 PM   #1847

Admittedly, it was a long time ago, but when I lived in Brazil, the Foz area was absolutely awash with tourists, and a large number of them were there as much for the cross-border shopping as for the scenery. They were crossing back and forth constantly, including Paraguay. It was simply expected. Things may have changed since I lived there, but I doubt it.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:39 PM   #1848

Quote:
Yes..that sounds like fun. I'm finding that I'm more adventurous than I thought, in my old age. Did you cross over to the Argentina side or were you in Argentina and cross over to Brazil? I'm a little concerned about re entering Brazil if we cross over to Argentina for a day. I don't know how Brazil would handle our visa if we popped over then back.

We had no problem that I can recall - but we used a personal tour guide. We toured the Brazil side, then he drove us across the border to Argentina (he talked to the border people), then after we toured that side he took us back over the border. We had a Brazil passport but not one for Argentina.

My memory is fuzzy of it all, but one thing that sticks in my mind is how the car had to drive through a pool of disinfectant, and we had to get out and stomp on a big sponge full of disinfectant going one direction (or both?). This was to prevent the spread of Mad Cow disease.

We hiked all over the falls - it was simply STUNNING.

Old 03-01-2015, 02:00 PM   #1849
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We had no problem that I can recall - but we used a personal tour guide. We toured the Brazil side, then he drove us across the border to Argentina (he talked to the border people), then after we toured that side he took us back over the border. We had a Brazil passport but not one for Argentina.

My memory is fuzzy of it all, but one thing that sticks in my mind is how the car had to drive through a pool of disinfectant, and we had to get out and stomp on a big sponge full of disinfectant going one direction (or both?). This was to prevent the spread of Mad Cow disease.

We hiked all over the falls - it was simply STUNNING.
Simple girl, I think you mean Brazilian and Argentinian visas. Each country has different rules. When I visited South America in 1997 I had a choice of traveling on my EU passport (which would have required visas for Chile and Argentina) or my Canadian passport (which required a visa for Brazil). I travelled on my Canadian passport because getting one visa was simpler. If you make sure you have the right visas before you leave home, crossing the border should not be a problem. This is a tourist area.

I was on a guided tour. We flew from Buenos Aires to IGR on the Argentinian side, explored the town of Puerto Iguazu and the Argentinian side of the Falls before crossing the border uneventfully in a tourbus (and I do remember the disease precautions!). We then stayed at Hotel das Cataratas, looking out over the Brazilian side of the Falls, and also visited the town of Foz do Iguazu and surrounding area before flying out of IGU to Rio de Janeiro.

The Falls are absolutely magnificent and not to be missed.

The only negative part of my experience was that my credit card was scammed at reception at Hotel das Cataratas.

http://www.belmond.com/hotel-das-cat...usiness&cr=cat
Old 03-01-2015, 07:36 PM   #1850

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Simple girl, I think you mean Brazilian and Argentinian visas.
Yes, you are correct! Ooops! Thanks!

Old 03-01-2015, 07:50 PM   #1851

Thank you both...I can't wait to see the falls. I really hope that nothing comes up that would prevent us from going this year. The disinfectant procedure is interesting. It sounds like we shouldn't have any trouble with the visa.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:56 PM   #1852

Quote:
Sounds like foot and mouth disease prevention. The US customs guy asked if I had been to any farms while out of the country...I think that's along the same lines. Really bad if it gets loose in your livestock.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:05 PM   #1853

That hotel is gorgeous, so close to the falls. Our tour guide will be my son in law. I'm so spoiled having my daughter interpret in German when we went to Germany and now a son n law to interpret in Brazil.

Old 03-02-2015, 05:07 AM   #1854

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Sounds like foot and mouth disease prevention. The US customs guy asked if I had been to any farms while out of the country...I think that's along the same lines. Really bad if it gets loose in your livestock.
Ah yes...I think you may be right. Geesh - my memory is definitely not what it used to be!

Old 03-02-2015, 05:09 AM   #1855

Quote:
That hotel is gorgeous, so close to the falls. Our tour guide will be my son in law. I'm so spoiled having my daughter interpret in German when we went to Germany and now a son n law to interpret in Brazil.

That is a huge bonus! How awesome!

Old 03-02-2015, 05:03 PM   #1856
Give me a forum ...

We had to drive the bus through a few disinfectant baths on our travels as well. It was pretty random which places required it and most of the time the "bath" didn't look like it had much more than muddy water in it.

We did spend four or five hours at one Russian border with a cattle truck in front of us that reeked to high heaven. No disinfectant there, though we all felt like we could have used it!

Old 03-02-2015, 05:19 PM   #1857
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just booked tickets to Rome this morning. Gonna fulfill a dream of taking my kids to Europe before they go off to college.

The trip will be a total of 10 days split between Rome and Florence, and it looks like we'll be using VRBO for lodging arrangements. Any experiences with VRBO, good or bad, would be appreciated.

Now let the planning begin.

Lazy Portfolio Investor:
AA: 55% Stocks
35% Bonds
10% Cash
Old 03-02-2015, 05:52 PM   #1858
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
We did spend four or five hours at one Russian border with a cattle truck in front of us that reeked to high heaven.
1963....caught a train, (boarded the empty car in the middle of the night...no-one around), from Zahedan, Iran to Quetta, Pakistan.......awakened at dawn by locals loading their sheep into the car through the doors and windows.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 03-02-2015, 10:32 PM   #1859
Give me a forum ...

What a sight that must have been, Nemo! I can't even imagine that rain ride, let alone the sheep!

If you ever get to Charleston, I really want to hear some more of your stories!!

Old 03-03-2015, 04:13 AM   #1860
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
What a sight that must have been, Nemo! I can't even imagine that rain ride, let alone the sheep!
Train ride, (up through the 'mountains' along the Afghan border), `200+ miles, took us somewhere in the region of 28 hours.......at times the train was going so slowly we, and others, jumped off, walked ahead and waited for the train to catch up.

Somewhile later, traveling 3rd class through India, where the trains had wide, string/cord luggage racks, we'd throw our packs up on the racks, climb up after...nice and comfy and out of the way!

(Been a few years since I was in Charleston...but if/when DW and I make it back down there, we want to hear your stories!)

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Closed Thread