Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 01:11 PM   #2121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
How do you protect your credit and ATM cards? They are just as vulnerable.
I put a card wrapped in some cash in my front pants pocket and then I walk with one hand on it when in crowds. Has worked so far.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2015, 10:52 AM   #2122
Give me a forum ...

I keep them in a pouch that I have around my neck, under my shirt. My spouse has a pouch for credit cards that attaches to her bra.

We only carry a small amount walking around money in our pockets. The rest is in my neck pouch. We divide up the credit cards so that if by chance one of us looses one or gets robbed, we still have another that will 'work' on the ATMS.
Old 06-05-2015, 04:51 PM   #2123
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Just booked a southern France river cruise for August. VRC had a free air thing that looked like a pretty good deal to me. Swapped the direct return with one from Paris. So I'll be booking a train to Paris at the end of the cruise, and some hotel nights. We'll probably buy the hop on hop off bus for a day or two, then hang out with a brewer buddy of mine for a few more days.
Would that be the Rhone River cruise?
Old 06-05-2015, 06:40 PM   #2124

Leaving tomorrow to take my almost 7 year old granddaughter to Disney World for an early birthday present. My sister is taking her 7 year old great-granddaughter with us. The kids have never met one another, so we are hoping they will get along. My sister's great-granddaughter does not know her very well (they live in different states), so keep your fingers crossed for us. Hopefully, everybody will get along well and we will have a good time!
Old 06-06-2015, 03:59 AM   #2125
Recycles dryer sheets

Just returned after spending 3 days in Seeg, Germany (14 km north of Fussen) in the countryside at the Panorama Hotel then driving to St. Gilgen, Austria and staying 3 nights at the Park Billroth Hotel in a beautiful corner room overlooking Wolfgangsee.

Both had great wifi and entertained ourselves day trading in the evening. Paid for the trip. :-)

It had been a few years since being there but the traffic continues to get worse in both Austria and Germany. No such thing as a relaxing drive in the countryside anymore, especially on the weekends.
Old 06-06-2015, 09:12 AM   #2126
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by check6 View Post
Just returned after spending 3 days in Seeg, Germany (14 km north of Fussen) in the countryside at the Panorama Hotel then driving to St. Gilgen, Austria and staying 3 nights at the Park Billroth Hotel in a beautiful corner room overlooking Wolfgangsee.

Both had great wifi and entertained ourselves day trading in the evening. Paid for the trip. :-)

It had been a few years since being there but the traffic continues to get worse in both Austria and Germany. No such thing as a relaxing drive in the countryside anymore, especially on the weekends.
That looks like a really nice place!

It's been super hot here around Colmar, France - in the 90s. But we were just now blessed with a 5pm hail storm!

Looking forward to slightly cooler weather.
Old 06-06-2015, 09:34 AM   #2127

Audrey - they were talking about it being 95 in Paris (coverage of the French Open)....

I was worried about it being to hot in late July, when we're there... but it may be cooler then than now.

I can't believe we're less than 2 weeks away from our big summer adventure. I just have to get through the next 6 school days (of which I'm chaperoning 2 field trips, and attending older son's middle school promotion.) Then we're OUTTA HERE.

I hope the hail storms you experienced are indicative of a wider swath of cooler weather.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:23 AM   #2128
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
I put a card wrapped in some cash in my front pants pocket and then I walk with one hand on it when in crowds. Has worked so far.
Pickpocket Huntress:

https://vimeo.com/76723842

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 06-15-2015, 07:12 AM   #2129
Moderator Emeritus

Going to hike some of the Appalachian Trail, explore the Mason Dixon line and Civil War battlefields.
Old 06-23-2015, 03:14 AM   #2130
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I look forward to hearing about your trip. We are thinking of going to either Sardinia or Liguria next Spring.
Just got back. Sardinia is beautiful, especially the blue-green beaches either on the Costa Smeralda (NE) or in the various islands of the La Maddalena Archipelago.

It's also suppose to have great hiking in the mountains. I didn't get a chance to do any but there are certainly a lot of beautiful mountain ranges along the east coast as well as along the center SS131 highway which is the main N/S artery on the island.

Sardinia is also known for prehistoric ruins called the Nuraghi but I didn't see them. Have to say, compared to say Sicily, I didn't find hear about too many archaeological sites.

So it's mainly for the natural beauty.

Cinque Terre on the Ligurian coast is a hiker's paradise. I'm not a big hiker but I did do a couple of guided hikes offered by the national park office, for 2.50 Euro. Beautiful views along the coast there and you walk by these vineyards on steep terraces, where all the grapes are harvested by hand, in what is called heroic agriculture. They only produce a few thousand bottles a year so the wine in the region isn't exported much.

You can get a glimpse of the jetset in nearby Portofino, with giant yachts in the marina. It's way more scenic than Monaco.
Old 06-23-2015, 06:02 AM   #2131
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Audrey - they were talking about it being 95 in Paris (coverage of the French Open)....

I was worried about it being to hot in late July, when we're there... but it may be cooler then than now.

I can't believe we're less than 2 weeks away from our big summer adventure. I just have to get through the next 6 school days (of which I'm chaperoning 2 field trips, and attending older son's middle school promotion.) Then we're OUTTA HERE.

I hope the hail storms you experienced are indicative of a wider swath of cooler weather.
Funny - the hail storm occurred late afternoon on a day that had reached the mid-90s in Colmar, which is why we were indoors napping instead of out sightseeing. We'd already had a full day by then anyway.

The hail storm and heavy rain didn't really cool things off, but a couple of days later the weather changed a bit and it did get cooler. Reims was nice and cool, but the day we changed trains in Paris must have been that 95 degree day, the train was pretty warm. When we stepped off the train in Amsterdam, the cool breeze coming off the river Ij was such a relief!
Old 06-23-2015, 06:03 AM   #2132
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Just got back. Sardinia is beautiful, especially the blue-green beaches either on the Costa Smeralda (NE) or in the various islands of the La Maddalena Archipelago.

It's also suppose to have great hiking in the mountains. I didn't get a chance to do any but there are certainly a lot of beautiful mountain ranges along the east coast as well as along the center SS131 highway which is the main N/S artery on the island.

Sardinia is also known for prehistoric ruins called the Nuraghi but I didn't see them. Have to say, compared to say Sicily, I didn't find hear about too many archaeological sites.

Cinque Terre on the Ligurian coast is a hiker's paradise. I'm not a big hiker but I did do a couple of guided hikes offered by the national park office, for 2.50 Euro. Beautiful views along the coast there and you walk by these vineyards on steep terraces, where all the grapes are harvested by hand, in what is called heroic agriculture. They only produce a few thousand bottles a year so the wine in the region isn't exported much.

You can get a glimpse of the jetset in nearby Portofino, with giant yachts in the marina. It's way more scenic than Monaco.
Wow - that sounds lovely!
Old 06-23-2015, 06:09 AM   #2133
Give me a forum ...

Going to Oregon on Thursday for a few days. Meeting a couple of my brothers and some of their families up there to celebrate my mom's 80th birthday (which occurred last week). Of course, as always, when I leave Texas for a few days in the summer hoping to escape the miserable weather, I bring the worst heat wave of the year with me. They are expecting three days over the weekend of over 100.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 06-23-2015, 11:16 AM   #2134
Full time employment: Posting here.

We are heading to the beach for the 4th of July holiday with our RV. That may not sound like much, but here in the Golden State, getting a beach view site over a holiday weekend takes a considerable amount of experience . . . and speed. You have about five, maybe 10 seconds after the booking window opens to snag a site. Stumble at all, and you're out of luck until next year.

Even though we are ER'd, our kids and most of our friends are not, so we still happily foray out over weekends and holidays in order to spend time together.
Old 06-23-2015, 03:51 PM   #2135
Give me a forum ...

just wanted to give a shout out to Gig Harbor, WA where I stayed during the open this weekend

awesome place! can't wait to go back
Old 06-23-2015, 04:49 PM   #2136
Recycles dryer sheets

We are going up to Silver Lake in the high Sierra of California in July for four nights. We stay at Kit Carson Lodge, and kayak, hike, and take in the wildflowers. Carson Pass area is a wildflower hot spot in July.
Old 06-23-2015, 05:10 PM   #2137
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post

Your report reinforces my desire to go there. Thanks.
Old 06-24-2015, 05:06 AM   #2138
gone traveling

taking a 3k miles motorcycle ride next week--blue ridge parkway from cherokee to meadows of dan, va---CAMPING all the way.

9 day camping trip in colorado in Sept, in our Miata.

Fantasy Fest in Key West--October.

Key West-Dec/Jan --camping with kayaks, bicycles, fishing poles, kites/boards
Old 06-24-2015, 09:00 AM   #2139

We are leaving Friday for a 2 day kayak/camping trip in the San Juan Islands. After that we will head West to the Olympic Peninsula to backpack on some of the coastal beaches. Then we'll head back to Portland so we are back in time for a backpack trip on Mt. Adams over the 4th.

I think the entire summer will be a series of similar adventures.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:57 AM   #2140
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Just completed the planning for a Sunshine Circle tour for 6 of us in July.

1) Ferry from Horseshoe Bay to Sunshine Coast
2) Drive to The Ruby Lake Lodge for Italian lunch
3) Take the ferry from Earl's Cove
4) Arrive in Lund (land's end) for 2 days.
5) Take a zodiac tour of Desolation Sound
6) Take ferry from Powell River to Comox
7) Two days at The Crown Isle Resort in Courtney
8) Drive down to Parksville/Qualicum Bay
9) Two nights at the Pacific Shores Resort
10) Drive to Nanaimo and take the ferry back to Horseshoe Bay.