Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 10:34 AM   #2141

Just back from over two weeks traveling around England and Scotland.

My first visit to Scotland, and I have nothing but great things to say about Edinburgh and the Trossachs. Can't wait to go back and spend more time there.
[Disclaimer: I am one of those oddball who actually likes haggis!]

OTOH, I have nothing but bad things to say about Delta Airlines. No point going into the details of how badly they screwed up our return trip, but it was insane.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2015, 10:48 AM   #2142
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
We are leaving Friday for a 2 day kayak/camping trip in the San Juan Islands. After that we will head West to the Olympic Peninsula to backpack on some of the coastal beaches. Then we'll head back to Portland so we are back in time for a backpack trip on Mt. Adams over the 4th.

I think the entire summer will be a series of similar adventures.
I will be kayaking a ton over the coming weeks in the BC Gulf Islands (think Canadian San Juans)....I will wave to you from this side of the border! Hope you spot an orca pod or two!
Old 06-24-2015, 11:49 AM   #2143
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Bermuda this week, DC/NYC next week. It's good to get away, even though the weather at home (PNW) is unusually good. But the PNW beaches aren't quite as good - at least not for our tastes.
Old 06-24-2015, 12:21 PM   #2144
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
We are leaving Friday for a 2 day kayak/camping trip in the San Juan Islands. After that we will head West to the Olympic Peninsula to backpack on some of the coastal beaches. Then we'll head back to Portland so we are back in time for a backpack trip on Mt. Adams over the 4th.

I think the entire summer will be a series of similar adventures.
Sounds great, particularly if this lovely weather holds up.
Old 06-24-2015, 12:29 PM   #2145
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Just completed the planning for a Sunshine Circle tour for 6 of us in July.

1) Ferry from Horseshoe Bay to Sunshine Coast
2) Drive to The Ruby Lake Lodge for Italian lunch
3) Take the ferry from Earl's Cove
4) Arrive in Lund (land's end) for 2 days.
5) Take a zodiac tour of Desolation Sound
6) Take ferry from Powell River to Comox
7) Two days at The Crown Isle Resort in Courtney
8) Drive down to Parksville/Qualicum Bay
9) Two nights at the Pacific Shores Resort
10) Drive to Nanaimo and take the ferry back to Horseshoe Bay.
We were in Horseshoe Bay 2 days ago, and spent an hour or 2 watching the ferries come and go. We have another week or so here in Vancouver, West End, before heading out to Vancouver Island for a couple of weeks.

This is a beautiful part of the world, and the locals are super friendly. Yesterday afternoon we walked down to a local pub, The Three Brits, and got talking to a couple while they advised us on the local wine and beer. They live close to Grouse Mountain in N. Vancouver and have invited us over this afternoon to go for a hike followed by BBQ and a swim in their pool. Fantastic hospitality.
Old 06-24-2015, 12:35 PM   #2146
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Just back from over two weeks traveling around England and Scotland.

My first visit to Scotland, and I have nothing but great things to say about Edinburgh and the Trossachs. Can't wait to go back and spend more time there.
[Disclaimer: I am one of those oddball who actually likes haggis!]

OTOH, I have nothing but bad things to say about Delta Airlines. No point going into the details of how badly they screwed up our return trip, but it was insane.
Pleased to hear that you liked Edinburgh so much. DW's sister and family have lived there for over 25 years so we have had plenty of visits and it never gets old. I also like haggis, and when we lived in Dumfries in 1985/6 was even known to eat haggis and chips from the local chippy - deep fried, batter covered haggis is not something I would subject my digestive system to these days, but I love a couple of slices fried with my Scottish breakfast.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:22 AM   #2147
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We're in week 3 of our 7 week adventure in Mexico (with young kids!). Having a blast so far. Currently in Mexico City for two weeks.

The best thing about our trip so far might be the weather. It's been in the 70's almost every day and in the upper 50's at night. Not having AC in our rental houses doesn't really matter. It's been pleasantly chilly at night. At home in North Carolina it's been between 90 and 100 almost every day and humid.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:45 AM   #2148
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
May is the hottest month in Mexico but with low humidity away from the ocean.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:49 AM   #2149
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
before heading out to Vancouver Island for a couple of weeks.
Must see places: Bucharts Gardens, Long Beach, Rathtrevor Beach.
Old 06-25-2015, 01:52 PM   #2150

Leaving for two weeks in Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Russia, Estonia and Latvia. A week of it is Baltic Cruise. Looking forward to it.
Old 06-25-2015, 05:48 PM   #2151
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
Leaving for two weeks in Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Russia, Estonia and Latvia. A week of it is Baltic Cruise. Looking forward to it.
Enjoy!

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 06-25-2015, 06:47 PM   #2152
Recycles dryer sheets

Went to Concord, Massachusetts to visit family and do touristy things. I stayed at an old Inn for part of the trip, visited Author's Row at Sleepy Hollow Cemetery, the Concord Museum and North Bridge.

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1435279430.167915.jpg
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1435279514.678333.jpg

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1435279635.342075.jpg

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1435279569.396532.jpg
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1435279609.246225.jpg
Old 06-26-2015, 03:59 PM   #2153

I'm in the airport on my way to Bali for a weekend with an old high school friend and his family. I expect we'll probably just hang around the pool and beach at Nusa Dua to catch up. They have been traveling around Indonesia for the past couple of weeks with their 20+ yo kids, one of whom has been teaching English here on a Fulbright grant this past year.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Old 06-26-2015, 04:05 PM   #2154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango1956 View Post
We are going up to Silver Lake in the high Sierra of California in July for four nights. We stay at Kit Carson Lodge, and kayak, hike, and take in the wildflowers. Carson Pass area is a wildflower hot spot in July.
Enjoy! I'll be joining you in the Sierras in about a week...one week at Huntington Lake, one week in Mammoth, and one week backpacking in Yosemite on the High Sierra camp loop.

Old 06-26-2015, 04:10 PM   #2155
Give me a forum ...

Are there bears to worry about in the Sierras?
Old 06-26-2015, 06:28 PM   #2156
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
No, bears can pretty much take care of themselves.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 06-26-2015, 06:57 PM   #2157

There are lots of black bears, but they are pretty much afraid of people and dogs.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:03 PM   #2158
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer2 View Post

Key West-Dec/Jan --camping with kayaks, bicycles, fishing poles, kites/boards

Sounds great. DW and I are planning the same. Landed a 26" red fish from my hobie near Sebastian last week.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:19 AM   #2159
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Just don't carry any pic-a-nic baskets...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 07-03-2015, 09:17 AM   #2160
Give me a forum ...

Before leaving on a trip you might want to take steps to avoid these unpleasant situations that some travelers found themselves in:

• 'There were too many beautiful women at the hotel and my wife caught me staring at people other than her on one too many occasions. I wasn't aware there would be so many lovely looking ladies. We had a huge row on day five of our holiday and I had to buy her a lot of presents on our return to the UK to make it up for her. I had to take out a credit card for the gifts just so I could grovel.'
  • 'The sun gave me a better tan than my girlfriend and she was really grumpy with me for half of the holiday for that reason. I tried to stay in the shade but when we came home I was still more bronzed than her so that was no good. We're still together but it has knocked her confidence.'
  • 'The cocktails available on the all inclusive at the hotel were so nice that I got really very drunk and made a complete fool of myself on the dance floor. It's the most embarrassed I've ever been.'
  • 'There were so many complimentary activities at our hotel like water sports and things that we barely saw our teenage sons. It really ruined the whole family holiday feel.'
  • 'The hotel had a no-nudity policy around the pool and on their beach and so I was unable to sunbathe topless and show off my new breast implants.'
  • 'The international buffet as part of our all inclusive booking gave us so much choice that I had at least two helpings every evening and, all in all, I put on two stone during the holiday. I've had to purchase new clothes and a gym membership since the holiday and I was wondering if you would be willing to cover those costs.'
  • 'The two swimming pools were so inviting that I often jumped in when I got too hot sunbathing. However, this meant I constantly had to re-apply my sun cream and I ran out more quickly than I thought.'
  • 'The air conditioning in the room was too chilly and we didn't pack any warm clothes, so we were often cold.'
  • 'The maid kept our room too clean and spotless. We like living in a bit of a pig sty on holiday because it's the one and only time we don't have to give a damn.'
  • 'Me and my boyfriend felt that the staff and locals were far too friendly and nice to us. Because of this we found people back home in the UK to be even more rude and unpleasant when we returned and it made us sad.'
  • 'The gym facilities were better than my husband's gym back home and so he was constantly in there and I was left alone a lot in the day time. It was quite boring for me as I was just waiting around for him loads on a sun lounger.'
  • 'I collected some shells on the beach and later realised that two of them still had something living inside them. I was very alarmed.'
  • 'I fell in love with one of the stray dogs on the resort and was heartbroken when I had to leave him. I wanted to bring him back to the UK to be our pet and I wasn't warned that there would be so many cute cats and dogs walking around. As an animal lover, it made my departure from the hotel even more difficult.'
  • 'The sea was too warm and so when I tried to take a dip to cool down I was still hot.'
  • Source: Sunshine.co.uk

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Closed Thread