Anyone got any travel planned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leaving for two weeks in Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Russia, Estonia and Latvia. A week of it is Baltic Cruise. Looking forward to it.

Enjoy!

Went to Concord, Massachusetts to visit family and do touristy things. I stayed at an old Inn for part of the trip, visited Author's Row at Sleepy Hollow Cemetery, the Concord Museum and North Bridge.

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1435279430.167915.jpg
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1435279514.678333.jpg

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1435279635.342075.jpg

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1435279569.396532.jpg
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1435279609.246225.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1435279585.251886.jpg
    ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1435279585.251886.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 5
I'm in the airport on my way to Bali for a weekend with an old high school friend and his family. I expect we'll probably just hang around the pool and beach at Nusa Dua to catch up. They have been traveling around Indonesia for the past couple of weeks with their 20+ yo kids, one of whom has been teaching English here on a Fulbright grant this past year.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

We are going up to Silver Lake in the high Sierra of California in July for four nights. We stay at Kit Carson Lodge, and kayak, hike, and take in the wildflowers. Carson Pass area is a wildflower hot spot in July.
Enjoy! I'll be joining you in the Sierras in about a week...one week at Huntington Lake, one week in Mammoth, and one week backpacking in Yosemite on the High Sierra camp loop.

Are there bears to worry about in the Sierras?

There are lots of black bears, but they are pretty much afraid of people and dogs.

Before leaving on a trip you might want to take steps to avoid these unpleasant situations that some travelers found themselves in:

• 'There were too many beautiful women at the hotel and my wife caught me staring at people other than her on one too many occasions. I wasn't aware there would be so many lovely looking ladies. We had a huge row on day five of our holiday and I had to buy her a lot of presents on our return to the UK to make it up for her. I had to take out a credit card for the gifts just so I could grovel.'
  • 'The sun gave me a better tan than my girlfriend and she was really grumpy with me for half of the holiday for that reason. I tried to stay in the shade but when we came home I was still more bronzed than her so that was no good. We're still together but it has knocked her confidence.'
  • 'The cocktails available on the all inclusive at the hotel were so nice that I got really very drunk and made a complete fool of myself on the dance floor. It's the most embarrassed I've ever been.'
  • 'There were so many complimentary activities at our hotel like water sports and things that we barely saw our teenage sons. It really ruined the whole family holiday feel.'
  • 'The hotel had a no-nudity policy around the pool and on their beach and so I was unable to sunbathe topless and show off my new breast implants.'
  • 'The international buffet as part of our all inclusive booking gave us so much choice that I had at least two helpings every evening and, all in all, I put on two stone during the holiday. I've had to purchase new clothes and a gym membership since the holiday and I was wondering if you would be willing to cover those costs.'
  • 'The two swimming pools were so inviting that I often jumped in when I got too hot sunbathing. However, this meant I constantly had to re-apply my sun cream and I ran out more quickly than I thought.'
  • 'The air conditioning in the room was too chilly and we didn't pack any warm clothes, so we were often cold.'
  • 'The maid kept our room too clean and spotless. We like living in a bit of a pig sty on holiday because it's the one and only time we don't have to give a damn.'
  • 'Me and my boyfriend felt that the staff and locals were far too friendly and nice to us. Because of this we found people back home in the UK to be even more rude and unpleasant when we returned and it made us sad.'
  • 'The gym facilities were better than my husband's gym back home and so he was constantly in there and I was left alone a lot in the day time. It was quite boring for me as I was just waiting around for him loads on a sun lounger.'
  • 'I collected some shells on the beach and later realised that two of them still had something living inside them. I was very alarmed.'
  • 'I fell in love with one of the stray dogs on the resort and was heartbroken when I had to leave him. I wanted to bring him back to the UK to be our pet and I wasn't warned that there would be so many cute cats and dogs walking around. As an animal lover, it made my departure from the hotel even more difficult.'
  • 'The sea was too warm and so when I tried to take a dip to cool down I was still hot.'
  • Source: Sunshine.co.uk

Last edited:
Are there bears to worry about in the Sierras?

Fatal Bear attacks in North America

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_bear_attacks_in_North_America

Recent article on what to do in the event of a bear attack, plus a cool video of a Grizzly climbing on the hood of a car in Yellowstone this year. (We'll be in Yellowstone later this year and I prefer my bear encounters to be much further away than this).

Who, What, Why: What should you do if you encounter a bear? - BBC News

My reason for being excited today:

DH and I are going on a San Francisco Road Scholar trip in September. I've been watching airfare for months (sick of it), hotel rates in Monterey Beach area to stay a couple nights after the RS experience (sick of it), etc.---we finally decided to drive.

It will be such a great road trip. We both love road trips and this means no more dealing with that other stuff (that I am sick & tired of).

On road trips, we use Priceline and Hotwire to find a hotel when we are about 3 hours away.

I really feel good about this. We have the days; we are retired. : )

Just about ready to go. Ten days in Ontario cottage country, five weeks in Greece and a weekend in Paris on the way home.

And even better....we have an election and we will be tuned out of most of the campaign rhetoric, adverts, and B.S.

Just got back from a couple of weeks in Europe, and discovered why everyone I know who has been to Prague is utterly in love with it.

Probably the most beautiful and interesting city I've ever seen (it even beats Brugge in Belgium, IMHO).

The Czech Republic is now on my short list for a repeat visit soon.

Just got back from a couple of weeks in Europe, and discovered why everyone I know who has been to Prague is utterly in love with it.

As much as we loved Prague, (a lot), DW & I loved Budapest even more.

Going to Belgium later this month for 8 days, 3 days in Brugge and the rest in Brussels. Hope to do a couple of day trips from the latter.

As much as we loved Prague, (a lot), DW & I loved Budapest even more.

+2

I knew about Prague and was not disappointed. But Budapest was an unexpected jewel.

a potential ear worm

As if I don't have enough tunes going around in my head......good thing it's not cluttered with thoughts! :D

Added: Now DW & I have his 55 minute live vid playing.

Last edited:
Same here. We're headed to Tucson to pick up our new to us 5th wheel.

It's a 40footer so we have lots of practice ahead in an empty parking lot to learn how to pull it and more importantly park it!

But Budapest was an unexpected jewel.

Cruising on the Danube into Budapest in the evening is really quit stunning. They light up the parliament building, the Buda Castle, Gresham Palace, Matthias Church, and quite a bit more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom