Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 06:20 AM   #2181
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
Just about ready to go. Ten days in Ontario cottage country, five weeks in Greece and a weekend in Paris on the way home.

And even better....we have an election and we will be tuned out of most of the campaign rhetoric, adverts, and B.S.
Sounds good. I hear you about the election. Where in cottage country?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2015, 05:45 AM   #2182
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Speaking, as we were, of Budapest:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/0px9HF...layer_embedded

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 08-07-2015, 06:56 AM   #2183

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Just got back from a couple of weeks in Europe, and discovered why everyone I know who has been to Prague is utterly in love with it.

Probably the most beautiful and interesting city I've ever seen (it even beats Brugge in Belgium, IMHO).

The Czech Republic is now on my short list for a repeat visit soon.
I thought Prague was lovely.. But loved Budapest more. Perhaps it was the heat wave (our apartment didn't have AC) or perhaps it was the large number of drunk and stoned kids in the square. I found it a little sad... But the architecture was awesome.
Old 08-07-2015, 04:24 PM   #2184
Give me a forum ...

Peterborough & Kawartha Lake area. In laws/family are there.

When we are planning a trip, we always search for good airfare from Toronto. This time it was Toronto-Athens on Transat. Time before it was Toronto-Porto, Portugal.
Old 08-07-2015, 06:19 PM   #2185
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Toronto-Porto, Portugal.
Air Transat always (seem to) have good prices on the Toronto-Porto route.......this May we flew them Porto-Toronto....(and a couple years ago got a great price with them Toronto-Barcelona).

Old 08-07-2015, 08:43 PM   #2186
Full time employment: Posting here.

Ireland for 10 days, then Britain for 11. (Leave this Thurs.) Then, in September, a bus trip to Maine. In Oct., 2 weeks in No. Cal. visiting family and friends.

In between, I need to close on my little condo (bought for future downsizing, after this Three-Year-House Purge).
Old 08-08-2015, 08:48 AM   #2187
Give me a forum ...

Nemo...we scored 2 excellent fares on Transat this fall. Toronto-Athens (the nonstop one) in late August and return Paris to Calgary (where we live) in October for just over $800CAD. Then got a Aegean Air from Crete to Paris for approx. $100CAD each, including one bag check(hers not mine).

We have been buying euros. Bought the final lot at the FX store. Came home, opened my mail and voila there was an email from CIBC advertising a new FX service. Checked the rates. Exactly 2.5 percent higher than I had paid an hour earlier at the FX store! New and improved...for CIBC not me!

When we find ourselves travelling to the Toronto area we always check for last minutes on all inclusives and/or flights. That is how we got to Porto and we very much enjoyed the area.

Scored yesterday. WestJet called and said that they changed equipment and oversold our flight to Toronto. I agreed to a flight 30 minutes earlier..no problems. Then she said thanks and gave us each a $100. voucher for future travel.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:46 AM   #2188
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Nemo...we scored 2 excellent fares on Transat this fall. Toronto-Athens (the nonstop one) in late August and return Paris to Calgary (where we live) in October for just over $800CAD. Then got a Aegean Air from Crete to Paris for approx. $100CAD each, including one bag check(hers not mine).
Nice. In 2013, heading to Barcelona to catch a westbound transatlantic, we nabbed an Air Transat one-way at half the cost of other flights on adjoining days..(may have been their last flight of the season on that route).....savings pretty much paid for our week in Barcelona

Quote:
We have been buying euros.
We managed to grab a few (not enough) on May 25, from TD @1.4030 for our pending October trip.......we check daily but the rates suck.
Quote:
Porto and we very much enjoyed the area.
This Spring, (after an eastbound transatlantic to Barcelona), we spent a week in Lisboa, then grabbed a train up to Porto for a couple (mainly wet) days....disappointed that the Livrario Lello was closed, but we're back in Barcelona next spring so we might look for another Air Transat out of Porto.

Beautiful Bookstore in Porto - Lello & Irmăo Bookstore | Local Porto

Quote:
Scored yesterday. WestJet called and said that they changed equipment and oversold our flight to Toronto. I agreed to a flight 30 minutes earlier..no problems. Then she said thanks and gave us each a $100. voucher for future travel.
Good catch! Enjoy your trip.

Old 08-19-2015, 03:57 PM   #2189
Recycles dryer sheets

This morning booked a one-way Orlando to Copenhagen flight for me , SWMBO and the Y2kid. $224/ea. That happened to be the last day on their schedule (6 June) and the last day of school for the daughter.

Where we go from CPH or how we get back is TBD. Not many of the budget euro airlines have published schedules yet. I had thought we could connect on a Veuling flight to Florence, but with only two hours to get through passport and security, I don't think so.

But I am not worried...we'll find something to do.

I have been itching to go somewhere for years but my aging 95 year old mother kept me close (only child). Sadly , she died last week..but she told me to "get on with life" so I will.

We will all likely visit SWMBO's parents in Odessa Ukraine this Christmas, and do something else over Spring Break (Cuba?)
Old 08-19-2015, 04:53 PM   #2190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunthewiser View Post
I have been itching to go somewhere for years but my aging 95 year old mother kept me close (only child). Sadly , she died last week..but she told me to "get on with life" so I will.
I'm sorry for your loss Nunthewiser. I hope you do enjoy the rest of your life, it sounds as though you are off to a good start.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:22 AM   #2191

Nunthewiser - so sorry for your loss.

I had to look up SWMBO - but chuckled when I read what it meant.
Old 08-20-2015, 11:03 AM   #2192
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Heading off the Galiano Island for the weekend to visit friends who live there all summer.
Old 08-21-2015, 10:59 AM   #2193

We've just sold everything except some clothes and a few essentials, and are about to go traveling the country for a year. We're going to make an ellipse across the states where snow is rare, take in the sights, see if any of them are where we want to set down roots.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:39 AM   #2194
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Heading off the Galiano Island for the weekend to visit friends who live there all summer.
Got back last night. The cabin was on an unserviced island. No TV, power, water, landline. They have an artesian well and solar panels. Our mobile was beyond the service corridor. Got back last night and found out about some turmoil in the markets. Lovely peaceful experience.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:55 AM   #2195

Heading to Sandpoint, ID in a couple of weeks. Anyone been there and have any suggestions for activities, sights, restaurants, etc.? Thanks!
Old 08-25-2015, 12:02 PM   #2196
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willers View Post
Heading to Sandpoint, ID in a couple of weeks. Anyone been there and have any suggestions for activities, sights, restaurants, etc.? Thanks!
Guess you'll be far enough from the fires? Have friends in Lenore, and although the fires are 20 miles from them, the smoke sometimes obscures their view.

Old 08-25-2015, 12:10 PM   #2197

I think so, but we may be affected by the smoke.

I have some friends in Montana that have sent some amazing pictures of smoke and flames. He's a firefighter.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:56 PM   #2198

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willers View Post
Yes Coeur d'Alene, ID 48 miles south of Sandpoint.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:07 PM   #2199

Currently vacationing in Carmel Highlands CA at the Hyatt, terrific place. Most apartments have ocean views, they even include binoculars in the room for viewing. Great whale watching from the room patio, surprised how close they come in to the coast, can see them all day long hanging out in the bay, must be a great feeding place for them. Point Lobos state park is just down the road, I've been going there every morning for a jog. Has to be the best jogging route I've ever been on, the views are spectacular. Monterey Aquarium, Pebble Beach and 17 miles drive a short drive away.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:24 PM   #2200

Coeur d'Alene is a neat place, or you could go just about as far north, up to Bonners Ferry. Elk Mountain Farms is AFAIK the world's largest hop farm (owned by Budweiser). This should be right around harvesting season, so you could see quite a show if you can get in.
Closed Thread