Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 05:01 PM   #2201
Moderator Emeritus

Heading to the Grand Canyon north rim the next time we go to Az
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2015, 07:36 PM   #2202
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunthewiser View Post
This morning booked a one-way Orlando to Copenhagen flight for me , SWMBO and the Y2kid. $224/ea. That happened to be the last day on their schedule (6 June) and the last day of school for the daughter.

Where we go from CPH or how we get back is TBD. Not many of the budget euro airlines have published schedules yet. I had thought we could connect on a Veuling flight to Florence, but with only two hours to get through passport and security, I don't think so.

We will all likely visit SWMBO's parents in Odessa Ukraine this Christmas, and do something else over Spring Break (Cuba?)
I flew in yesterday to Copenhagen on Norwegian Air Shuttle's new Boeing 787 service. We picnic'd instead of buying their food, and the plane was magnificant.

If I was wanting to get to Florence, I could have taken their Orlando-London flight and then taken a EasyJet.com flight into Pisa for cheap. You can get anywhere cheap in Europe on EasyJet out of London.

We're flying home from Bergen, Norway thru Oslo--total round trip $775.

If you're looking for nonstops all over Europe, put the airport name in Wikipedia and it tells you which airlines fly there and where they fly to.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:02 PM   #2203
Recycles dryer sheets

Any complaints on Norwegian, aside from the price?
Old 08-26-2015, 09:56 AM   #2204
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunthewiser View Post
Any complaints on Norwegian, aside from the price?
Not Nunthewiser here, but we just flew Dreamliner on Norwegian Orlando to Oslo and back.
Very nice plane. Decent seats. USB, 110 and 220V chargers in your seat.
Plenty of room for your carry on (important, as they change $89 per cross-Atlantic leg for checked in luggage).
I really liked increased cabin pressure, especially with stuffed sinuses.

The only small complain I have is lack of Norwegian transfer desk in Oslo, so if you have a connection and don't get your boarding passes for US flight on your first leg, you'll need to wait for the gate agent to assign your seats and by that time a lot of good seats will be gone.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:50 AM   #2205

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
Yes Coeur d'Alene, ID 48 miles south of Sandpoint.

Thanks! We'll make sure to include that.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-26-2015, 11:51 AM   #2206

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Coeur d'Alene is a neat place, or you could go just about as far north, up to Bonners Ferry. Elk Mountain Farms is AFAIK the world's largest hop farm (owned by Budweiser). This should be right around harvesting season, so you could see quite a show if you can get in.

Great info. Thanks! We have a week with no agenda so should be able to go in both directions.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-27-2015, 09:47 AM   #2207
Recycles dryer sheets

Though we are very much creatures of the B.C. coast, and have a love affair such things as towering Douglas fir forests, orca pods, salmon/halibut/crab/prawn fishing etc... once in a while (usually a couple times a year) we head inland to explore the B.C. interior. So DW and I are heading out tomorrow for a week long driving trip into B.C.'s heartland - lakefront wineries are going to be a focus of this trip.

Too bad the weather forecast is looking a bit dodgy...though this region needs some rain BADLY.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:38 AM   #2208
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We are heading out next month to Rockland ME to go on a 6 day schooner trip. My DH has never been to New England. We are driving and leaving 4 days early, but do not know which route we are taking. Went to AAA and received 2 maps of NE states and he needs to look at and decide what he wants to see, as soon as he gets back from his current trip.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:06 AM   #2209
Moderator Emeritus

Central America, California, and Hawaii still to come in 2015. A couple of 2016 trips already on the schedule. Even though my family moved around somewhat while I was growing up, DH and I still love to travel and at 65 and 66 want to get it done while it's still fun and the $$ aren't needed elsewhere.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:51 PM   #2210
Recycles dryer sheets

For now, I've been able to sate my wanderlust with day-trip motorcycle rides of the point and shoot variety. Just picking a direction that looks favorable weather-wise and head out for a 250 mile ride, taking my time for coffee breaks and photo-ops.

Last weekend of September we’re doing a three day tour to Southwestern Wisconsin with a group of friends. When we get back from that, it’s time to feed the cats (local helper for that too, they get upset if any of the bottom of the dish is visible, no matter how much is left), do some laundry, and then a day or two later we are off to the Mount Rushmore area for five days in early October.

We also just booked 10 days in the Dominican Republic for February 2016. Cold weather getaway, 5 couple going on this trip - they better have the swim-up bar stocked well!
Old 08-27-2015, 02:58 PM   #2211
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Kayaker View Post
Though we are very much creatures of the B.C. coast, and have a love affair such things as towering Douglas fir forests, orca pods, salmon/halibut/crab/prawn fishing etc... once in a while (usually a couple times a year) we head inland to explore the B.C. interior. So DW and I are heading out tomorrow for a week long driving trip into B.C.'s heartland - lakefront wineries are going to be a focus of this trip.

Too bad the weather forecast is looking a bit dodgy...though this region needs some rain BADLY.
Send me a PM if you want to get together!
I do recommend you consider waiting until the smoke coming up from Washington State has abated somewhat. The air quality is dreadful at present.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:10 PM   #2212
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Send me a PM if you want to get together!
I do recommend you consider waiting until the smoke coming up from Washington State has abated somewhat. The air quality is dreadful at present.
Wow, that very generous! I have a pretty good idea where you are located, so if we are in the vicinity a PM will be incoming!

We had pretty awful smoke conditions here on the coast about a month ago...it's been clear lately, but I know very well what you are dealing with.

I am still bummed I missed your visit to "my island" a while back.
Old 08-27-2015, 05:01 PM   #2213
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Kayaker View Post
Wow, that very generous! I have a pretty good idea where you are located, so if we are in the vicinity a PM will be incoming!

We had pretty awful smoke conditions here on the coast about a month ago...it's been clear lately, but I know very well what you are dealing with.

I am still bummed I missed your visit to "my island" a while back.
Several new wildfires have just broken out around here. I am going to pack a few valuables, just in case I have to evacuate over the next few days.
Old 08-27-2015, 05:17 PM   #2214
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Several new wildfires have just broken out around here. I am going to pack a few valuables, just in case I have to evacuate over the next few days.
Oh no! Do whatever you have to do to be safe.

Come on rain!
Old 08-28-2015, 08:59 AM   #2215
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We got rain this morning. How about Meadbh?
Old 08-28-2015, 09:14 AM   #2216
Give me a forum ...

No rain so far. A small shower is forecast for this evening with heavier rain overnight.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:40 AM   #2217
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
No rain so far. A small shower is forecast for this evening with heavier rain overnight.
It's been pouring all morning here on the coast. It's definitely coming your way Meadbh...DW and I were tempted to cancel our trip, but decided we are still going to do it. We hit the Coquihalla highway in a few hours.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:50 PM   #2218
Give me a forum ...

Heading back to Las Vegas in a few weeks now that schools are going back in session and the summer vacation season is over. About 3 days and 1400 miles each way. I may stop by the Grand Canyon again on the way there since it "may not" be wise for me to stop by any "high places" on the way back.

Unlike last time , I hope to bring back a lot of Ben Franklin souvenirs.
Old 08-30-2015, 03:02 PM   #2219
Recycles dryer sheets

Leaving next week for 11 day Alaskan cruise, with a few days in Seattle on the front end, and a few in Vancouver on the back. Very excited!
Old 08-30-2015, 07:49 PM   #2220
Recycles dryer sheets

Will be headed out to Vancouver in 2 weeks for an 8 day trip with friends who have a timeshare out there. Any recommended "must sees"? We plan to see Butchart Gardens. My wife is a horticulturist. We have a rental car. Do we ferry the car across to vancouver Island or better to just ride across and take a bus etc? Our condo is in Downtown Vancouver.
I appreciate any ideas for things to do and see. Thanks
Tom

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Closed Thread