Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 08:37 PM   #2221
Recycles dryer sheets

[QUOTE=twolfy;1629513 Do we ferry the car across to vancouver Island or better to just ride across and take a bus etc? Our condo is in Downtown Vancouver.
[/QUOTE]

A lot depends on what you're planning to do on Vancouver Island. If you're just going to Butchart Gardens or Victoria, you could make a case for taking the ferry as a passenger. It's still a bit of to navigate to the ferry stations on either side (Tsawassen on the mainland, Swartz Bay on the island). It's also a half hour between Butchart Gardens and Victoria. But once you get there it's easy to explore Victoria on foot.

Anywhere else on the island, it would be a lot easier to have a car. But the car on the ferry isn't cheap, about CN$55 each way. It's not really a day trip, unless maybe to the gardens and back directly.

I like a little farther north on the island - Comox, Campbell River. And the two small towns on the west cost - Tofino and Uclulelet. I have friends on the island, so get there pretty much every year.

This page explains the travel options from Vancouver: Location, Address & Directions | The Butchart Gardens
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2015, 08:41 PM   #2222
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Also taking a car on the ferry probably requires a reservation. Walk ons usually don't. And more queuing for cars - on and off.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:57 PM   #2223
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Also taking a car on the ferry probably requires a reservation. Walk ons usually don't. And more queuing for cars - on and off.
Absolutely. It's a lot cheaper to take the ferry as a passenger, but you would have to figure out logistics at each end. It's a beautiful trip if the weather is good.

You can also book tours of the Butchart Gardens directly from Vancouver. Four package tour options are advertised right on the Butchart Gardens website.

The Butchart Gardens | Travel Packages

If you don't fancy a package, you could take the bus that goes onto the ferry. Or you could even fly across on a seaplane.

http://www.butchartgardens.com/visit/location

If DW is a horticulturist, she may also be interested in the Milner Gardens and Woodland, near Qualicum Beach.

https://www2.viu.ca/milnergardens/

She might also like to visit Cathedral Grove, an old growth forest.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/exp...pgs/macmillan/

However, this would require at least one night's stay on Vancouver Island and taking your car on the ferry.

http://www.bcferries.com
Old 08-31-2015, 05:33 AM   #2224
Recycles dryer sheets

Next week I'll be in Sydney and Melbourne. It's my first time in Australia :-) hooray! I'd like to stay longer but I'm taking my partner for his birthday and he needs to get back to work.

I checked out of work in May of this year and have been making solo trips to various places on my "to-do list". So far I've visited Shanghai, Manila, Hangzhou, Palawan (Philippines), Singapore and Kuala Lumpur.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-31-2015, 07:04 AM   #2225
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellBarbara View Post
Leaving next week for 11 day Alaskan cruise, with a few days in Seattle on the front end, and a few in Vancouver on the back. Very excited!

we are on the same cruise!
We went 2 yrs ago to Alaska on the Solstice, great ship.
We are meeting my brother and sister in law in Seattle for a few days
before the cruise. They live on the west coast so it will be nice to see them
and Seattle is always a great place to visit. Looking forward to it!
Old 08-31-2015, 08:47 AM   #2226
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you Shortstop14, Audrey1 and Meadbh for the information. Any Vancouver favorite restaurants? Day scenic drives?

Old 08-31-2015, 08:56 AM   #2227
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
There is a nice drive with lookouts on Cypress mountain. There is a gondola with restaurant at Grouse and The Capilano Suspension bridge also has a treetops adventure.

There are plenty of fine restaurants everywhere.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:57 AM   #2228
Give me a forum ...

As Keith said, there are many good restaurants in Vancouver. If you like Asian food, there is a wealth of choice in Richmond.

Another good eating area is Davie Street, between Burrard and English Bay.

Some of my favourite Vancouver restaurants are Rangoli and Vij's (Indian)

VIJ'S

And for views, Lift

LIFT Restaurant › bar menu

Or Cardero's, both in Coal Harbour.

https://www.vancouverdine.com/carderos

Also, Bridges on Granville Island. Take the water taxi!

Welcome to Bridges! - Bridges Restaurant

Hawksworth at the Hotel Georgia is reputed to be one of the best, but I have never eaten there because it is not LBYM!

https://hawksworthrestaurant.com

As far as scenic drives are concerned, don't confine yourself to your car. Try the Sea to Sky Highway to Whistler and on the way, take a trip up the Sea to Sky Gondola. Hike at the top. There are also gondolas in Whistler.

Sea to Sky Gondola, Squamish, B.C.

Consider a float plane sightseeing trip if you dare.

Walk or bike the sea wall around Stanley Park. Consider a game of pitch and putt or a visit to the aquarium or the totem poles.

Stanley Park | City of Vancouver

This is very LBYM, ie. Free. A big storm passed through Vancouver the night before last, so the park was closed. I expect it will be open when you get there, but expect to see a lot of downed trees.

The UBC campus is worth a visit, especially the Museum of Anthropology.

https://www.ubc.ca/our-campuses/vancouver/

Finally, I enjoy the Dr. Sun Yat Sen Chinese Garden in Chinatown.

http://glaciermedia.pdqs.mobi/drsunyat-senclassicalc/
Old 08-31-2015, 10:08 AM   #2229

Quote:
Originally Posted by twolfy View Post
Will be headed out to Vancouver in 2 weeks for an 8 day trip with friends who have a timeshare out there. Any recommended "must sees"? We plan to see Butchart Gardens. My wife is a horticulturist. We have a rental car. Do we ferry the car across to vancouver Island or better to just ride across and take a bus etc? Our condo is in Downtown Vancouver.
I appreciate any ideas for things to do and see. Thanks
Tom

The anthropology museum at UBC is wonderful if you like that kind of thing. Huge totems and dramatic scuplture, all the way down to everyday artifacts set in a beautiful building designed by native son Arthur Erickson.

If you like touring the countryside, drive up to Pemberton and take BC 99 over the pass to Lillooet and down Canada 1 back into the Fraser delta. The segment on 12 from Lillooet to Lytton is breathtaking. It is a time commitment and would require an early start and late finish, but is a beautiful drive. Could be smoky in places lately.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:05 AM   #2230
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bld999 View Post
The segment on 12 from Lillooet to Lytton is breathtaking.
There's a nice little hill there that I've driven while hauling a 5th wheel...hold onto your hat.....seen smoke coming from big rig brakes.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 08-31-2015, 01:06 PM   #2231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
There's a nice little hill there that I've driven while hauling a 5th wheel...hold onto your hat.....seen smoke coming from big rig brakes.

That is a road to pay attention on, for sure. A beaut, though. The mighty Fraser puts on a good show through there.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:18 PM   #2232
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks again for all the suggestions. I was at a meeting in Whistler for two days 14 yrs ago and I do remember the bus ride from Vancouver to Whistler was beautiful. Unfortunately was in and out quickly and didn't get any time in Vancouver. Whistler in Winter was like a fairyland for me, especially at night with the lights, snow falling and gondolas seemingly going everywhere. Not a big skier so was not used to that. I did ski and like my usual get myself in trouble self I took one gondola up to a restaurant area(?) less skilled area then promptly got on another gondola and went to the top. Remember being above clouds looking at other peaks. To my surprise there were no easy (blue?) routes down, only black diamond and double diamond runs. I did my best snow plowing all the way down but did manage a spectacular face plant on the way down right under a gondola headed up. I'm sure there was much laughter from all on board. Only the second time i had downhilled and nothing ever as big. I had a blast though.
Thanks again.
Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-02-2015, 09:24 AM   #2233

We've been traveling all around Oregon in our RV since mid-July, and having just recently turned south to head for home, are still under its magical spell, particularly the seven stops and four weeks we spent along the coastline. Our experiences ranged from kayaking under some of Portland's many bridges, to sitting perched atop a rock at Cape Perpetua enjoying the wildly blowing wind and high tide wave crashes. In between were miles and miles of coastal hiking, lighthouses, Willamette Valley wine tasting, jet boat riding on the Rogue River, and even a little Shakespeare while in Ashland.

A truly wonderful time from start to finish, and I'm happy to share info on where we stayed and what we did in each area should anyone have interest. Just IM!
Old 09-03-2015, 11:22 PM   #2234
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-04-2015, 05:35 PM   #2235
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ1_ View Post
we are on the same cruise!
We went 2 yrs ago to Alaska on the Solstice, great ship.
We are meeting my brother and sister in law in Seattle for a few days
before the cruise. They live on the west coast so it will be nice to see them
and Seattle is always a great place to visit. Looking forward to it!
Oh yay! We have never been to alaska so excited for that.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:45 PM   #2236
Recycles dryer sheets

Never been on an Alaska cruise...or any cruise for that matter - DW and I are not convinced we would like the "cruise thing". Though the ships pass right by our beach with regularity - and they look SPECTACULAR.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (443.7 KB, 14 views)
Old 09-05-2015, 05:20 AM   #2237

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Kayaker View Post
Never been on an Alaska cruise...or any cruise for that matter - DW and I are not convinced we would like the "cruise thing". Though the ships pass right by our beach with regularity - and they look SPECTACULAR.
You would probably enjoy the one we did a couple of years ago; it was an incredibly memorable experience. Plenty of kayaks on board to get up close and personal with nature. These Lindblad/National Geographic cruises (small ships) are one of the best ways to go anywhere, IMHO.

Exploring Alaska's Coastal Wilderness
Old 09-05-2015, 06:04 AM   #2238
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
You may like Un-Cruise Adventures.

https://www.facebook.com/InnerSeaDis...739574/?type=1

Hot toddy delivered to your kayak.

https://www.facebook.com/InnerSeaDis...709574/?type=1
Old 09-10-2015, 09:49 AM   #2239
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
You may like Un-Cruise Adventures.

https://www.facebook.com/InnerSeaDis...739574/?type=1

Hot toddy delivered to your kayak.

https://www.facebook.com/InnerSeaDis...709574/?type=1
Okay, colour me intrigued.

Just booked my flight down to Baja for what will be my first extended stay post-ER. I am going for close to 2 months (all of November and most of December), with my wife joining me for a month of that.

I hope to go back in late Winter and spend a good chunk of the Spring there - and come back when the PNW rains are waning. Giddy up.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:55 AM   #2240
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Okay, colour me intrigued.

Just booked my flight down to Baja for what will be my first extended stay post-ER. I am going for close to 2 months (all of November and most of December), with my wife joining me for a month of that.

I hope to go back in late Winter and spend a good chunk of the Spring there - and come back when the PNW rains are waning. Giddy up.
We've enjoyed some awesome whale watching off the coast there.