Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 06:54 PM   #2481
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
You could take a tour on an airboat of The Glades--a pretty bold activity.
I highly recommend this if you have any interest in nature. I understand there are many different airboat operators and the quality varies.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2015, 05:58 PM   #2482
Give me a forum ...

We will be catching a flight to Florida to board a cruise ship in a couple of days. My last cruise was 20 years ago. My wife arranged all the details for this trip. I hope I will not get bored on the ship.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 12-08-2015, 06:25 PM   #2483
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I hope I will not get bored on the ship.
It might depend on where you're going.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
New Mexico and/or Great Lakes cruise
Old 12-08-2015, 07:07 PM   #2484
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

New Mexico and/or Great Lakes cruise

We are planning a trip to Santa Fe, Taos, and Carlsbad next year. We are also looking at a Great Lakes cruise, but it is $$$. We have cut back on our travel,so it might be in our budget
Old 12-08-2015, 07:16 PM   #2485
Moderator Emeritus

If gas stays at the current low prices, I'm firing up the truck and driving to Arizona, and wherever the road takes me on the return trip.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 12-08-2015, 09:43 PM   #2486
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
It might depend on where you're going.
It's a 7-night Western Caribbean itinerary. I just looked it up again. Sail from Ft. Lauderdale to Cozumel (Mexico), then George Town (Grand Cayman), Falmouth (Jamaica), and Labadee (Haiti).

Maybe I can find something to do there, and will not be stuck on the boat. I still bring a book, just in case. Else, we've got a veranda room, and also free drink package to while away doing nothing. I do worry about eating too much and gain weight.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 12-08-2015, 11:03 PM   #2487
Give me a forum ...

^
I did one (and only one) Caribbean cruise, circa 1970, (I was younger then)...never had any desire to repeat the experience, (although our upcoming (Easter) transatlantic does leave from St. Maarten)......from what I've (rightly or wrongly) heard, they are pretty much 'party' voyages nowadays.

There are usually libraries/gyms...but the overeating factor is indeed a danger.

Good luck...hope you enjoy!

Old 12-08-2015, 11:31 PM   #2488
Give me a forum ...

I did a 10 day Caribbean cruise on Celebrity Equinox a few years ago. Ports included St. Thomas, St. Kitts & Nevis, Barbados, Dominica and Sint Maarten. It was most enjoyable. Not a party ship at all, but plenty to keep one occupied on board. My favourite shipboard activity was the glassmaking demonstrations: they had a full glassblowing setup.

NW-Bound, I predict you will enjoy yourself despite your predictions of doom and gloom!
Old 12-08-2015, 11:41 PM   #2489
Give me a forum ...

We're taking the grandkids over Christmas holidays to The Wilderness of The Smokies. It's a huge condo/timeshare/hotel complex with an indoor swimming pool complex inside the size of a football field.

Some of the rooms are privately owned condos. Some are time shares. Some are owned by Windham. You never know now who owns hotels you're staying in in resort areas.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:50 PM   #2490
Moderator Emeritus

Leaving for an NCL cruise ourselves on Thursday, in the other direction, to Hawaii. Seven days but the ship overnights at three islands so it's really just our floating hotel (we aren't picky about the ship's amenities) as we will sleep on board but active activities on land and water--hike, bike, kayak, snorkel. Precruise are Pearl Harbor and a good and schlocky luau. Sort of Hawaii for Dummies.

I love a Caribbean cruise for great beaches, lots of salt air, gorgeous water, sunny skies. And the occasional umbrella drink. Have a great time, NWB!
Old 12-08-2015, 11:59 PM   #2491
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
We're taking the grandkids over Christmas holidays to The Wilderness of The Smokies. It's a huge condo/timeshare/hotel complex with an indoor swimming pool complex inside the size of a football field.

Some of the rooms are privately owned condos. Some are time shares. Some are owned by Windham. You never know now who owns hotels you're staying in in resort areas.
I would love a report on this trip--have been looking for a place to spend a week or so with the grandkids and their parents!
Old 12-09-2015, 06:53 AM   #2492
Give me a forum ...

We have gone on an Eastern Caribbean cruise many years ago. It went to St. Thomas, and San Juan, Haiti, and another port. I did enjoy it along with our kids.

Back then, I was working hard, so welcomed a chance just to do nothing. Now in retirement, I like to be a little more active in our trip, and having more control of where I want to go, what I want to do, where I want to stay. But my wife is getting weary of the 10,000-mile 2-month long RV trips, so it's my turn to indulge her.

I think I will be OK. Still need to watch out for food indulgence. It is a big Celebrity ship, but I forget its name.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:22 AM   #2493
Give me a forum ...

Have just placed a deposit, (fully refundable within 75 days of sailing if our situation changes), on the Royal Caribbean Rhapsody of the Seas transatlantic departing Malaga on Nov 19, 2016...arriving Miami Dec 02.

Now we have to consider where to go in Europe prior to the sailing.

Old 12-09-2015, 05:22 PM   #2494

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Back then, I was working hard, so welcomed a chance just to do nothing. Now in retirement, I like to be a little more active in our trip, and having more control of where I want to go, what I want to do, where I want to stay. But my wife is getting weary of the 10,000-mile 2-month long RV trips, so it's my turn to indulge her.
I like active travel as you do, but find a way to enjoy cruises too. I like to just treat it as a time where there are no grocery store trips, no cooking, no cleaning, and if I bring enough clothes, no laundry. Its easy to over indulge on the food, but I've gotten better at experiencing the food in small quantities. And I don't eat anything I'm not really loving, since you can always just ask for something else. As to what to do, DW and I usually meet people and that interaction is fun for us, takes up the time (between reading books )
Cruising
Old 12-09-2015, 05:55 PM   #2495
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Cruising

We found that cruising fits out lifestyle. Our last cruise was 32 days, with a couple of days in Buenos Aires. We had enough miles to fly Business Class from LA, which made it very comfortable, plus had the use of the lounges at LAX and Lima.
We had enough cruises to qualify for free laundry,internet and mini bar setups. We took our readers for sea days, and arranged our minisuite to fit our personal needs.
As much as we enjoyed the cruise and the land experiences, we felt the 32 days was too long for us.
We know others go on 100+ day world cruises, and more power to them.
Old 12-09-2015, 06:38 PM   #2496
Give me a forum ...

My aunt and her husband have gone on long cruises of 1 to 2 months. When asked if they got bored, they said they didn't, and it was because of the itineraries. They explained that they picked trips with destination ports in countries that were interesting, but not sufficiently that they would not make a trip solely to go see. With a cruise, the cost was not bad considering all the places that they got to visit. Of course that means they also spent a lot on excursions.

That sounded quite reasonable to me, and they said next time they take another trip they will let us know in case we want to come.

Old 12-10-2015, 10:41 AM   #2497
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Royal Caribbean Rhapsody of the Seas transatlantic departing Malaga on Nov 19, 2016...arriving Miami Dec 02.

Now we have to consider where to go in Europe prior to the sailing.
We spent 3 weeks travelling from Barcelona to Malaga, alternately inland on coast. A little earlier, Nov 3rd leaving Malaga, the weather was sunny and highs of 26 every day.
Old 12-10-2015, 10:50 AM   #2498
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
We spent 3 weeks travelling from Barcelona to Malaga, alternately inland on coast. A little earlier, Nov 3rd leaving Malaga, the weather was sunny and highs of 26 every day.
Our itinerary, after next April's arrival in Barcelona on the CDF Horizon, includes Leon, Orense, and then back to Canada from Porto (again)......haven't been up in the northern part of Spain for nigh on 45 years.

Old 12-10-2015, 12:40 PM   #2499
Give me a forum ...

That is our plan for next fall. Have an August wedding to attend in Ontario. Hope to catch a cheap one way to Porto on Transat and spend eight weeks in SE France, northern Spain, and Portugal. Unless of course a better travel offer comes along. We very much enjoyed Porto and the Duoro Valley. We will figure out the rest when we get there, including how to get home.
Old 12-10-2015, 12:51 PM   #2500
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
That is our plan for next fall. Have an August wedding to attend in Ontario. Hope to catch a cheap one way to Porto on Transat and spend eight weeks in SE France, northern Spain, and Portugal. Unless of course a better travel offer comes along. We very much enjoyed Porto and the Duoro Valley. We will figure out the rest when we get there, including how to get home.
We flew Air Transat back from Porto this Spring, next Spring we're already booked with SATA, (think the prices dropped since we booked...but if we hadn't booked then they'd likely have gone up), Porto-Toronto.

Yes, we enjoyed Porto too...this time we'll make sure the bookstore is open so we can visit it.

Closed Thread