Anyone got any travel planned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't start thinking about a spring trip until late Jan, so this one will be far less defined than usual. That should be good for me.

RT to Amsterdam. Next day to Granada for The Alhambra. After that it's the rest of six weeks wandering back to Amsterdam. Only definite stops are Seville, Madrid, Segovia, and Stuttgart for the Porsche and Mercedes Benz museums.

First vacay at the new job. Headed right back to Mexico! Seven glorious days on the shores of Lake Chapala, staying with friends. 2nd week in April.

Also, round trip for 2 was under $500 on Volaris!

Going to be spending two weeks in the Saint Simons Island/Brunswick area of Georgia.
Any hints on things to do from locals ? We like local foods, local hooch and history related sights..

Looking at flying to Zagreb in late August/September and working our way down the Croatian coast. We want to go to through Albania and end up on Corfu. Has anyone travelled from Croatia/Montenegro though Albania to Corfu? Thanks

Looking at flying to Zagreb in late August/September and working our way down the Croatian coast. We want to go to through Albania and end up on Corfu. Has anyone travelled from Croatia/Montenegro though Albania to Corfu? Thanks

Sounds like a great trip; stop in at Plitviče Lakes National Park on the way (it's about 130km from Zagreb) https://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl...fXrM&itg=1&usg=__kruuBdNcgK4XeqRu1g6_tG9CJn0=

(Have been to Croatia/Montenegro & Corfu, but not on the same trip(s), and have never been through Albania.)

Going to be spending two weeks in the Saint Simons Island/Brunswick area of Georgia.
Any hints on things to do from locals ? We like local foods, local hooch and history related sights..

The only thing I know of in Brunswick is the incredibly cool Hostel in the Forest. I have no idea if it is open to the public during the day, but we stayed there years ago and had a blast.

The Hostel in the Forest Home

The guy who started it, Tom Dennard, is very interesting. I read his book, Discovering Life's Trails and found his outlook fascinating.

Economic Armageddon notwithstanding, (hey, we'd already paid for our Fall westbound transatlantic anyway......so, hell or high water), we just found, and immediately booked, a one way flight Toronto-Malaga on Air Transat (a special price because it's likely their last flight there for the season......we scooped up a similar offer to Barcelona in 2013), at $394.16 Canadian P.P. ($282.92 US P.P.)

We'll have 18 days in Malaga & environs prior to sail date, and are awaiting booking confirmation on a small studio apartment, in the old city and close to the cruise ship port, (with a bunch of excellent reviews), through Wimdu for $836 Canadian ($600.44 US).

A good portion of the apartment's cost, (or an alternate if this one isn't confirmed), will be pretty much paid for out of the savings we've realized by not taking a 'full fare' flight.

sigh...so I just postponed our trip to England in April. Had to re-book for November instead. Because...that early retired and moderately indigent DH of mine wants to do a mini-bike race in Morocco in April. I will surely be obtaining a sweep of martyr points for this concession.

So, anyone have experience getting AA award tickets to Casablanca? Looks like I have to find award seats on partners Qatar or Iberia and then book over the phone with an American agent. Tricky.

We loved Malaga. It was our departure point after a ten day cruise from Venice and then 3 weeks driving through Spain. Take a day trip to Ronda!

Ronda is on the list! Was last in Malaga in 2013......spent a few months along that coast in 1969......Almeria through Torremolinos mainly (about the time Michener was writing The Drifters).....

DW's never been to Almeria, so we might grab a bus there....also perhaps Cordoba.

sigh...so I just postponed our trip to England in April. Had to re-book for November instead. Because...that early retired and moderately indigent DH of mine wants to do a mini-bike race in Morocco in April. I will surely be obtaining a sweep of martyr points for this concession.

So, anyone have experience getting AA award tickets to Casablanca? Looks like I have to find award seats on partners Qatar or Iberia and then book over the phone with an American agent. Tricky.

If you really get stuck, I believe there's a 5 hour train from Tangier to Casablanca.....(ferry from Spain to Tangier)........but that'd be if things don't work out, or are too expensive, with flights.

If you really get stuck, I believe there's a 5 hour train from Tangier to Casablanca.....(ferry from Spain to Tangier)........but that'd be if things don't work out, or are too expensive, with flights.

Now wouldn't it be justice if I sent him to Madrid and told him to work it out to get the rest of the way there! :D

Now wouldn't it be justice if I sent him to Madrid and told him to work it out to get the rest of the way there! :D

G*d, or Sarah, works in mysterious ways. :dance:

Looks like a smaller version of the really cool apartment we had in Barcelona this past summer... especially the juliet balcony over the pedestrian street.

But the listing had me laughing - I want to rent an apartment with large fun at the ceiling.
(Yeah... I know the meant fan... but that's not as humorous.)

But the listing had me laughing - I want to rent an apartment with large fun at the ceiling.
(Yeah... I know the meant fan... but that's not as humorous.)

Fan? It was supposed to be FAN? Ah, sheesh, and it's too late to cancel now...who knew?

Lower your expectations for Torremolinos. Development seldom makes a place nicer!

Oh...wasn't planning on going back there.......drove from Almeria to Gibraltar in 1988......saw all the construction along that coast.....said "No thanks".

(I remember when Fuengirola was a fishing village, and an Indian family named Patel sold great meat patties along the beachfront.....different times.)

I just booked our first ever trip with RoadScholar, on the recommendation of a very, very fit 70 year old co-backpacker during a recent Grand Canyon backpack with the Sierra Club.

The trip we are doing, 21 days of hiking throughout New Zealand, is marked as 'Strenuous,' which our 70-year old acquaintance likened to a Level 3 with the Sierra Club. A '3' sounds relaxing after doing the Grand Canyon, which was marked as Level 4, so that along with the plusher accommodations and lectures on New Zealand's native flora and fauna has us quite excited.

Last edited:
I just booked our first ever trip with RoadScholar, on the recommendation of a very, very fit 70 year old co-backpacker during a recent Grand Canyon backpack.

The trip we are doing, 21 days of hiking throughout New Zealand, is marked as 'Strenous,' which our 70-year old acquaintance likened to a Level 3 with the Sierra Club. A '3' sounds relaxing after doing the Grand Canyon, which was marked as Level 4, so that along with the plusher accommodations and lectures on New Zealand's native flora and fauna has us quite excited.

Sounds great! Posting pics is mandatory.

I am already dreaming of what we'll be seeing, as it certainly appears we'll be off the beaten path for the majority of the trip.

What is the etiquette here for photo postings BTW?

Etiquette? You'd have to ask Emily Post.....me, I just put them up; but perhaps, if there are quite a number in one shot, a slideshow format might be easiest.

I am already dreaming of what we'll be seeing, as it certainly appears we'll be off the beaten path for the majority of the trip.

Etiquette? If you keep your landscape photos away from nudist colonies, you should be fine. See community rules http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/misc.php?do=sknetwork&page=rules or the FAQ's Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community - FAQ: Reading and Posting Messages for more info.

Have a fun trip! We can't wait to see the photos.

It is amazing. You'll want to stop to take pictures every few steps. We circumnavigated the south island as best we could in a week plus a day or two. Some hikes were really hard for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom