Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 09:35 AM   #2721
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
Sounds great! I have attached the story of our Western Canada trip last year We are happy to answer any questions
Took a look at your nicely done story. Thanks. Good motivation to head back up there.

Makes me want to go up to Victoria too. We've been there a few times since the 1970's. Could still plan something for this July. We'd fly to Seattle and drive maybe around through Tacoma to Port Angles. Tacoma has a very nice glass museum (saw it in 2006). We'd probably do a circle and end up back in Seattle.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2016, 10:02 AM   #2722
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Took a look at your nicely done story. Thanks. Good motivation to head back up there.

Makes me want to go up to Victoria too. We've been there a few times since the 1970's. Could still plan something for this July. We'd fly to Seattle and drive maybe around through Tacoma to Port Angles. Tacoma has a very nice glass museum (saw it in 2006). We'd probably do a circle and end up back in Seattle.
Tacoma is home to the LeMay car museum if you like that stuff. Even 3 hours is too little time for the whole show.
Old 03-11-2016, 05:10 AM   #2723
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Do you mean that one can get to a trailhead by boat or is this a car ferry?
It is a walk-on ferry and you hike at the other end. Then return before nightfall.
Old 03-11-2016, 12:00 PM   #2724
Dryer sheet wannabe

Planning a big Europe trip this summer with my wife. Have been to a few of the bigger cities, Paris, London etc. in the past but this time we're hoping to see some less 'touristy' destinations. Particularly eastern Europe. Does anyone have recommendations? We're just getting around to planning it now!
Old 03-11-2016, 12:17 PM   #2725
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodM View Post
Planning a big Europe trip this summer with my wife. Have been to a few of the bigger cities, Paris, London etc. in the past but this time we're hoping to see some less 'touristy' destinations. Particularly eastern Europe. Does anyone have recommendations? We're just getting around to planning it now!
Budapest!
Old 03-11-2016, 12:38 PM   #2726

Prague and Bamberg
Old 03-11-2016, 01:03 PM   #2727
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Budapest!
Seconded!

And Prague......we've also heard that Krakow (which is on our list) is superb.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 03-11-2016, 01:21 PM   #2728
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
And Prague......we've also heard that Krakow (which is on our list) is superb.
Krakow is superb! Was there last year. Relatively cheap too.

City itself is fantastic (wasn't bombed in WWII), and you have salt mines to visit as well as Auschwitz nearby (which is rough obviously).
Old 03-11-2016, 01:26 PM   #2729
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
The National Park Rangers are advising hikers in Glacier National Park and other Rocky Mountain parks to be alert for bears and take extra precautions to avoid an encounter.

They advise park visitors to wear little bells on their clothes so they make noise when hiking. The bell noise allows bears to hear them coming from a distance and not be startled by a hiker accidentally sneaking up on them. This might cause a bear to charge.

Visitors should also carry a pepper spray can just in case a bear is encountered. Spraying the pepper into the air will irritate the bear's sensitive nose and it will run away.

It is also a good idea to keep an eye out for fresh bear scat so you have an idea if bears are in the area. People should be able to recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear scat.

Black bear droppings are smaller and often contain berries, leaves, and possibly bits of fur. Grizzly bear droppings tend to contain small bells and smell of pepper.
That is hilarious!
Old 03-11-2016, 01:29 PM   #2730
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodM View Post
I'm kind of a broken record but I can't get enough of Munich. Throw in a few other places in Bavaria, Nuremberg, Bamberg, Wurzburg and then you could head off to Prague and or Budapest.
Old 03-11-2016, 02:48 PM   #2731

They're finally getting some real snow out west, so I'm preparing to leave the nearly 70°F temps here at home and head out for my annual ski trip. Since I've developed an arthritic hip, I won't be trying any black diamonds, but easy blues should be possible.
Old 03-12-2016, 12:53 AM   #2732

Just came back from Myanmar and Thailand. Here are the pictures from Myanmar.

https://youtu.be/JjhGOE8ZqSc?list=PL...RHOsbaTj_PrzDn
Old 03-12-2016, 05:06 AM   #2733
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyp View Post
Just came back from Myanmar and Thailand. Here are the pictures from Myanmar.

https://youtu.be/JjhGOE8ZqSc?list=PL...RHOsbaTj_PrzDn
+1 I like the combo of stills & video.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 03-13-2016, 08:38 PM   #2734
Give me a forum ...

Myramar and Laos are on our list. Maybe next winter. Leaving Kampot, Cambodia this AM and going to Vietnam for a month. Five days on the beach on Phu Quoc Island then who knows what...no firm plans yet.
Old 03-14-2016, 07:08 PM   #2735
Administrator

After several failed attempts, being beaten to the punch by other tenants, we have finally secured a house to rent in England when we arrive early May. The application is signed and deposit paid into the realtor's bank. Now it is just proving income and credentials, and signing a lease agreement. All this should be easily possible via email. (We went through this process in 2011 when we rented a house for 7 months in the same town).
Old 03-14-2016, 07:23 PM   #2736

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
After several failed attempts, being beaten to the punch by other tenants, we have finally secured a house to rent in England when we arrive early May. The application is signed and deposit paid into the realtor's bank. Now it is just proving income and credentials, and signing a lease agreement. All this should be easily possible via email. (We went through this process in 2011 when we rented a house for 7 months in the same town).

Is this the final relocation or another practice run? (I enjoyed reading about your 2011 experience.)

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 03-14-2016, 07:29 PM   #2737

Flying to Bali tonight, followed by a flight to Labuanbajo in Flores tomorrow morning. We'll then spend 3 days on a small boat cruising to Komodo and Rinca Islands to see the Komodo dragons and to snorkel. From there it's back to Bali for a few days of hiking and exploring the mountain villages, and then back to work. DS and his college friend are here for spring break, so we're taking them on a mini-adventure.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:03 PM   #2738
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Retiree View Post
Is this the final relocation or another practice run? (I enjoyed reading about your 2011 experience.)

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Good memory, yes this is our final relocation after that trial run. In the intervening years we have done a boat load of travel and have been getting our finances in order to minimize taxes once the move is completed. (UK taxation is quite different plus there is a UK/US taxation agreement to understand)

We plan on renting for the next 12 months or so and then buying a house there next year. We intend to split our time between the US and UK, spending the winters here in Texas (3 or 4 months).
Old 03-14-2016, 08:05 PM   #2739
Recycles dryer sheets

3 of us are flying to Big Island of Hawaii on airline points this fall for 2 weeks! I got a condo exchange for $329 out of pocket for one week. (Because it is bigger than mine that I own, I had to pay the price difference to the resort! I really like that I can do that though and I am going in off season for my owned one, so I won't loose much in rent revenue by giving the week to the resort pool.) We are gonna stay another 5 days in a VRBO or Airbnb rental which I have budgeted $150/night for. Rental car for $440 for 12 days - cancellable if I find something cheaper over the summer.

I will need to book 2 overnights in Seattle at a hotel since I don't want to sleep in the airport during our 20 hour layover - uugh - no way around that though with the airline I am on. I will go online to find a bargain room with free airport shuttle in about August. (Gotta love priceline - wish I would have invested in that years ago - I would be rich today!)

We are cheap to entertain as I mostly plan to lay on the beach, swim, or go hiking. The only expensive thing is that I want to take DS on a helicopter tour and they run about $199 to $249 each, he will love it though. It will so be worth a day or two of overtime work to pay for that!

Since we cook for ourselves mostly, that expense will only be slightly higher than at home. (I will stick the peanut butter and jelly for lunch picnics in the checked bag that I get for free with my magic airline credit card - which is mostly what got us the free flights too. Along with a boatload of $29- $49 necessary short hops to the next state over the last 2 years - racking up a mere 400 - 500 miles at at time.)
Old 03-14-2016, 08:07 PM   #2740
Full time employment: Posting here.

We've got a pretty full schedule -

April 2016 - Wife spends weekend in NYC with sisters & mom

May 2016 - 15 days at Western US Parks inc. Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce, Sequoia & Yosemite

July 2016 - 8 days at in-laws cabin in MI on Manistee River

August 2016 - Guys golf weekend here in MN (8 college buddies)

Sept 2016 - 7 days with another couple along coast of Maine (Bar Harbor, Rockland, Ogunquit)

Sept/Oct 2016 - I serve as Marshall at Ryder Cup (not really travel as it's in town)

Feb/Mar 2017 - 1 week in Roatan, Honduras & 1 week in Belize (Ambargis Caye)

The reason why we planned so hard to hit ER is upon us and we are very excited!
Closed Thread