Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 07:32 PM   #2821
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Hope you have a fun time. As I recall you'll be on Maui. Would like to hear what you found good (and not so). We'll be on Maui in early May.
Sure.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2016, 08:03 PM   #2822
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
Will be traveling to Maryland this weekend to see our first grandchild born this week. The wife is super excited and can't wait.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Welcome to the grandparent's club. There is nothing like them, as far as I am concerned. They will steal your heart. They are my joy. We will be getting our third grandchild around June 4, 2016.

Congrats and have a great trip!
Old 04-12-2016, 08:04 PM   #2823

Hope that Audreyh1 and Alan have wonderful trips too. Love hearing about everyone's trip.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:16 PM   #2824
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
I vaguely remember that you've done several cruises Alan. What are your plans for the days at sea? What do you most (and least) like about cruises like this?
This will be the 3rd Transatlantic cruise we've done, the first 2 were with Cunard and Cunard put on many lectures and other activities for the 7 days at sea. We have had speakers such as Sir David Frost and the entertainment has included members from the Royal Shakespeare company putting on short plays, and a subset of the London Philharmonic with the current year's conductor from the Proms Series.

Although this will be the 3rd Princess cruise we've done it will be the first Transatlantic one with 7 days at sea so I don't know how good the daytime entertainment is going to be. The other cruises with Princess have been extremely good, Alaska last year and 2 weeks sailing around New Zealand in 2014 out of Sydney.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:59 PM   #2825
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like fun Alan. Bon voyage!
Old 04-12-2016, 11:56 PM   #2826
Give me a forum ...

On our way home tomorrow AM after eightweeks in Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam. Already planning for a fall trip to Greece and a tentative winter trip to South America IF I can persuade she who must be obeyed that this is a good place to spend the winter! It will be good to get home again.
Old 04-13-2016, 03:08 AM   #2827
Give me a forum ...

Watching take offs from the San Francisco airport Marriott we saw this absolutely huge 4 engine monster lumbering down the runway. Double decker dwarfed everything else, including the 787 following. It was BA286 SFO to LHR in an A380-800. Had no idea they made passenger planes that big! OMG! Seemed to take forever to get off the ground.

10 and a half hours to London after arriving from London 3 hours earlier - wow!
Old 04-13-2016, 07:14 AM   #2828
Full time employment: Posting here.

Fourth weekend in a row getaway coming up, this time to Malibu, CA for RVing and hiking in the Santa Monica Natl Rec Area. Looking to be a gorgeous weekend of sun and temps in the 70s.

After that, the big suitcases come down and we start packing for the six-week European river cruise I wrote about earlier. We have family visiting just before departing, which will be both hectic and nice.

In addition, just booked a trip to an all inclusive in Playa del Carmen for a multi generation family vacation this summer. We've never done an all inclusive, so we are intrigued by what awaits us once we arrive. Spending a week enjoying our grandbaby however, will be absolute heaven.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:29 AM   #2829
Give me a forum ...

Wow - we lucked out with a $128 per person first class upgrade offer upon check-in - over five hour flight San Francisco to Maui!

Mimosas to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary (tomorrow). We plan to watch the Haleakala sunrise to start our anniversary day.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:26 AM   #2830

Anyone got any travel planned?

Good thing my European trip will not be changed because lawyers just said the court date will be in 2017. Yay! I might have to hold back on the Tahiti trip until it's done.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 04-13-2016, 12:11 PM   #2831
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Wow - we lucked out with a $128 per person first class upgrade offer upon check-in - over five hour flight San Francisco to Maui!

Mimosas to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary (tomorrow). We plan to watch the Haleakala sunrise to start our anniversary day.
Absolutely awesome!!
Old 04-13-2016, 02:14 PM   #2832

Quote:

That rocks!

Enjoy! We spent our 10th anniversary in Maui. Loved every minute of it...even the harrowing bicycle tour down switchback curves from the hop of Haleakala!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Old 04-14-2016, 04:17 PM   #2833

Looking into a trip late summer (August/September) to visit some of the national parks/monuments in Utah. DW has narrowed her list to Arches, Bryce Canyon, Canyonlands, Cedar Breaks, Dinosaur, Hovenweep, Natural Bridges, Timpanogos Cave, and Zion.

We'll be working up a travel plan (we plan to drive from the midwest) and we're setting it as a two week trip. I realize this means we won't get to have any extensive time in any one place, but we should be able to get the highlights and ideas for a return to some of them.

If anyone has suggestions, I'd love to hear them.
Old 04-14-2016, 04:26 PM   #2834
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Looking into a trip late summer (August/September) to visit some of the national parks/monuments in Utah. DW has narrowed her list to Arches, Bryce Canyon, Canyonlands, Cedar Breaks, Dinosaur, Hovenweep, Natural Bridges, Timpanogos Cave, and Zion.
Depending on your heat tolerance, I'd check out the weather averages. August might be very hot. We've done many of these places in May.

Here is a good weather source: https://weatherspark.com/averages/29...-United-States
Old 04-14-2016, 04:29 PM   #2835

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post

We'll be working up a travel plan (we plan to drive from the midwest) and we're setting it as a two week trip. I realize this means we won't get to have any extensive time in any one place, but we should be able to get the highlights and ideas for a return to some of them.

If anyone has suggestions, I'd love to hear them.
Since it is in between Zion/Cedar Breaks and Canyonlands/Arches add Capitol Reef. In fact the most scenic route would be from I-70 at Green River take UT 24 Down to Torrey (thru Capitol Reef) and then Ut 12 thru Boulder, Esclante and Henryville to Bryce Canyon. (Thru Grand Staircase Esclante national monument. If you have the time take the Burr Trail out of Boulder for about 20 miles (it is paved to see a little different part of the area)
Or to get to natural bridges go south out of Moab to Blanding and take UT 76 (which goes by Natural Bridges) and up to Hanksville, where you join UT 24 before Capitol Reef.
Old 04-15-2016, 04:23 AM   #2836
Give me a forum ...

Just yesterday, DW and I decided to go out to Tucson in June for Spacefest and rub shoulders with the Apollo astronauts. It will notch our <1 yr to RE cash stash, but since Neil Armstrong died, we feel like we should go ahead and do this.

https://www.spacefest.info/
Old 04-15-2016, 11:55 AM   #2837
Gone but not forgotten

Not having been well traveled, memories of special places are somewhat limited. With all that, one remains embedded.
I think the expression is: "Never say 'kekko' (I give up), until you've seen Nikko".

https://www.google.com/search?q=unti...w=1280&bih=875

One glorious week of first class exploring in Japan. More of a beautiful dream, than a real life experience. From watching live Kabuki theater in a top level Geisha House, to staying at the Tokyo Hilton, to the wintery day in Nikko.

Would love to hear from anyone who has been there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nikko.jpg (968.0 KB, 10 views)
Old 04-16-2016, 08:50 AM   #2838
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Not having been well traveled, memories of special places are somewhat limited. With all that, one remains embedded.

I think the expression is: "Never say 'kekko' (I give up), until you've seen Nikko".

https://www.google.com/search?q=unti...w=1280&bih=875

One glorious week of first class exploring in Japan. More of a beautiful dream, than a real life experience. From watching live Kabuki theater in a top level Geisha House, to staying at the Tokyo Hilton, to the wintery day in Nikko.

Would love to hear from anyone who has been there.

Visited Nikko on a day trip in 1986...
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1460818068.981173.jpg
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1460818097.753482.jpg
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1460818130.763852.jpg
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1460818156.102589.jpg
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1460818199.072088.jpg

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 04-16-2016, 08:51 AM   #2839
Give me a forum ...

Not major "travel", but only a two hour drive to the coast, but we'll be staying in a vacation rental in Port Aransas starting tomorrow, for a week. The weather is going to suck for the first few days of it, though, but that will still be a chance to catch up on my reading as well as sleep in for a whole week. I loved turning off the alarm on my phone completely for a week this morning.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 04-16-2016, 09:47 AM   #2840

Quote:

That is awesome.

If you don't want to wake up early to get up the volcano first thing - the sunset is just as spectacular and not as crowded. That's what we did on our honeymoon... complete with champagne and snacks we brought with us. Make sure you bring a jacket - it's cold up there.
Closed Thread