Anyone got any travel planned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those are all great places. Never saw them together though, broke them up into several trips 1-2 week trips.

Lyon won some designation as the best-lit city in Europe.

From what I read they have a pretty good museum on Roman ruins in France, and that's one of the things we're interested in seeing. So seems like a good place to get started.

Might take 3 weeks for southern France/eastern Spain. Depends on our list.

Good thing I didn't get around to paying for the airfare, there has been a change of plans. Since our last family get together there is one new grandchild and another on the way, we don't live near each other so not everyone has been formally introduced. So, instead of an Italian get-away for 2, we are now hosting a family get together - one week cruising around the Caribbean Sea.

I'm not a big fan of boats and water but I do enjoy getting the family together, so this'll be a blast. :)

Congratulations on the new editions . I have been on one family cruise and it was a lot of fun .

Hearst Castle

We just booked a behind the scenes tour of Hearst Castle. We will be traveling up and back on a private rail car. We will also go to some wineries in the Paso Robles area before getting back on the car where we will be served hors d'oeuvres and dinner.

Love all the travel stories. Recently booked a trip to Florence, Italy. 11 nights with an overnight in Cinque Terre and day trips to Rome and Venice. Gave the kids a choice which included Paris, Hawaii, and New England; they choose Italy.

Timed it just right as airline tickets have gone up $600 a piece since I booked.:dance:

Now for planning the details. Any travel tips for Cinque Terre?

Nemo...we travel in much the same way. We now limit ourselves to a carry on bag only, actually a 19/20 inch roller each. Does not matter if we go for a week or two months that is what we take. Plus a very small backpack for my ipad. Part of the reason is our ability to handle luggage on various forms of transportation-including public transportation.

We have found taking less to be very liberating and more than once it has enabled us to make unscheduled airline connections in order to avoid lengthy terminal delays. When we shop for clothing the question we always ask ourselves is how will it travel, is it light, and will it complement our existing clothing.

Nemo...we travel in much the same way. We now limit ourselves to a carry on bag only, actually a 19/20 inch roller each. Does not matter if we go for a week or two months that is what we take. Plus a very small backpack for my ipad. Part of the reason is our ability to handle luggage on various forms of transportation-including public transportation.

We have found taking less to be very liberating and more than once it has enabled us to make unscheduled airline connections in order to avoid lengthy terminal delays. When we shop for clothing the question we always ask ourselves is how will it travel, is it light, and will it complement our existing clothing.

+1 Especially pertaining to the final sentence.

We also travel with hand luggage only. I don't think we have patience to wait for luggage. I buy more whatever I need when I get there.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Love all the travel stories. Recently booked a trip to Florence, Italy. 11 nights with an overnight in Cinque Terre and day trips to Rome and Venice. Gave the kids a choice which included Paris, Hawaii, and New England; they choose Italy.

Timed it just right as airline tickets have gone up $600 a piece since I booked.:dance:

Now for planning the details. Any travel tips for Cinque Terre?

What time of the year?

That area is prone to a lot of rain in the spring.

But it gets crowded from late spring on. The trains run once an hour and often are standing-room only when the days are nice.

Other option is to take the more costly boats but it's a beautiful view from the sea.

The Park office offers guided walks in the summer. Some of them are pretty strenuous when you're ascending several hundred feet but the view from up high is terrific.

Many of them start in Riomaggiore, the southernmost of the villages. There is one where you take a bus to a village SE of Riomaggiore and then you are hiking downhill. It's easier on your heart to go downhill but actually, some of the stone paths have some steep steps so it's hard on your legs.

Otherwise, I'd say you may find you wished you had more days. Besides Cinque Terre, there is the nearby Portovenere to the south and Portofino/Santa Margherita Ligure to the north.

Nemo, your pictures are, as always, amazing! Congrats on another successful journey!

DH is still in Morocco, leaving from Tangier on Friday to return after around 3 weeks puttering around on a mini-bike with some buddies. I checked out your photo from Gibraltar, to see what I could see across the water. :)

Many of them start in Riomaggiore, the southernmost of the villages. There is one where you take a bus to a village SE of Riomaggiore and then you are hiking downhill. It's easier on your heart to go downhill but actually, some of the stone paths have some steep steps so it's hard on your legs.
We have been there in late September. Crowds are still there, and the boats often do not run owing to rough water, but it is cool and comfortable. All the restaurants/stores are still open.

We rented a flat, or an apartment when we were in Cinque Terre. It worked out well. We had lots of room, a great view, and it was less expensive than some of the hotels. We had it for four nights in early October. Weather was fine, crowds were thinning.

We visited self service laundry that was very convenient to a café next door. Spent some very pleasant time talking to some Australian tourists over a few drinks while our dirty clothes went round and round.

One thing to note is that parts of the Blue Path are closed because of the mudslides from several years ago. The easiest segment, between Riomaggiore and Manarola, is almost flat, takes maybe an hour to get through. But it is closed.

However, the most scenic segment I think is between Vernazza and Corniglia. However, I didn't walk this entire path. I got off the train in VErnazza and headed south (SE actually) and climbed steps for about 20-30 minutes and there is this exquisite view overlooking all of Vernazza.

Attachments

• DSC_6300.jpg
    DSC_6300.jpg
    754.8 KB · Views: 10
Love Waterton Lakes! Grew up in Lethbridge, Alberta which is approx. an hour drive to the park. Hiked every trail and spent most of my youth there.

If I had to pick between Banff and Waterton Lakes, my vote would go to Waterton Lakes National Park. The town site is not commercialized as is Banff, much less crowded and much more wildlife present. It's not uncommon to see bears and you're almost guaranteed to see deer roaming the town site. One time I was playing golf and a black bear ran across the seventh hole just as I was teeing off. Awesome sight!

If your planning to hike any trails, I would definitely recommend Crypt Lake. You're going to love this hike!

Have fun!

This is one we are deferring until 2017. It appears now is too late for us to make optimal reservations:

fly into Calgary
drive to Waterton and stay there for hikes
drive to Glacier and hike
drive up to Banff for a day or two
drive up the parkway and see some nice scenery plus glaciers
stay in Jaspar for some days, good hikes
back to Calgary for flight

If you're planning to hike in Waterton Lakes, I would definitely recommend the Crypt Lakes trail.

Finishing up the planning on this 11 day road trip. Fly Chi-Sea, Drive to LA, Fly back to Chi.

Attachments

• westcoasttripmap.png
    westcoasttripmap.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 25
If you're planning to hike in Waterton Lakes, I would definitely recommend the Crypt Lakes trail.
I'll make a note of that trail, thanks. We will probably start trying to make reservations around November 2016. Seems early enough unless others think differently.

Contemplating a round-the-world trip with this line.......lots of clean underwear required.

Doing a lot of "city" travel this summer.

1) Boston (never been)
2) NYC
3) Washington DC
4) Charleston SC (never been)

Taking DW to Prague this summer (first time for her). I can navigate the city pretty well, but would really appreciate any recommendations for good (not overly expensive) restaurants. We'll be staying in the Old Town, so walking distance to nearly everything.

After 3 trips to Europe, Vegas, San Francisco and Hawaii and 2 cruises (in 2 years), our near future travels are going to be curtailed greatly.

My wife bought a big handmade rug for our dining room when we were in Turkey 2 weeks ago, and we won't be going anywhere for a couple of years.

We'll do some summer river cruising on our boat and do some staycations in the meantime. We have not even been to the three major cities within 2 hours of our house in 2 years.

Last edited:
Mexico cruise with 4 grandkids in June

Last night, I was considering a train trip -- SFO to CHICAGO or CHARLESTON by Amtrak. Flown over the country but only been to West Coast & New England, DC, Miami, New Orleans

Then Edinburg Scotland is still on my 2016 list

Last edited:
We also travel with hand luggage only. I don't think we have patience to wait for luggage. I buy more whatever I need when I get there.

I cannot tell you how many travelers we ran into on our recent trip to Italy and the Greek Isles hauling 4 of those giant 50 lb. suitcases. Airlines need to refuse to allow travelers to haul so much.

Had my mother ever learned how to pack into a 22" roller, she'd have been able to travel 10 years longer. My poor father used to have to handle all her luggage, and I used to feel so sorry for him.

After 3 trips to Europe, Vegas, San Francisco and Hawaii and 2 cruises (in 2 years), our near future travels are going to be curtailed greatly.

My wife bought a big handmade rug for our dining room when we were in Turkey 2 weeks ago, and we won't be going anywhere for a couple of years.

:confused: Because she blew the next two years travel budget on the Turkish rug:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom