Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 08:28 AM   #2881
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
Nemo...we travel in much the same way. We now limit ourselves to a carry on bag only, actually a 19/20 inch roller each. Does not matter if we go for a week or two months that is what we take. Plus a very small backpack for my ipad. Part of the reason is our ability to handle luggage on various forms of transportation-including public transportation.

We have found taking less to be very liberating and more than once it has enabled us to make unscheduled airline connections in order to avoid lengthy terminal delays. When we shop for clothing the question we always ask ourselves is how will it travel, is it light, and will it complement our existing clothing.
+1 Especially pertaining to the final sentence.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2016, 08:45 AM   #2882
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We also travel with hand luggage only. I don't think we have patience to wait for luggage. I buy more whatever I need when I get there.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 05-03-2016, 09:24 AM   #2883
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoSour View Post
Love all the travel stories. Recently booked a trip to Florence, Italy. 11 nights with an overnight in Cinque Terre and day trips to Rome and Venice. Gave the kids a choice which included Paris, Hawaii, and New England; they choose Italy.

Timed it just right as airline tickets have gone up $600 a piece since I booked.

Now for planning the details. Any travel tips for Cinque Terre?
What time of the year?

That area is prone to a lot of rain in the spring.

But it gets crowded from late spring on. The trains run once an hour and often are standing-room only when the days are nice.

Other option is to take the more costly boats but it's a beautiful view from the sea.

The Park office offers guided walks in the summer. Some of them are pretty strenuous when you're ascending several hundred feet but the view from up high is terrific.

Many of them start in Riomaggiore, the southernmost of the villages. There is one where you take a bus to a village SE of Riomaggiore and then you are hiking downhill. It's easier on your heart to go downhill but actually, some of the stone paths have some steep steps so it's hard on your legs.

Otherwise, I'd say you may find you wished you had more days. Besides Cinque Terre, there is the nearby Portovenere to the south and Portofino/Santa Margherita Ligure to the north.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:38 AM   #2884
Give me a forum ...

Nemo, your pictures are, as always, amazing! Congrats on another successful journey!

DH is still in Morocco, leaving from Tangier on Friday to return after around 3 weeks puttering around on a mini-bike with some buddies. I checked out your photo from Gibraltar, to see what I could see across the water.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:36 AM   #2885
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Many of them start in Riomaggiore, the southernmost of the villages. There is one where you take a bus to a village SE of Riomaggiore and then you are hiking downhill. It's easier on your heart to go downhill but actually, some of the stone paths have some steep steps so it's hard on your legs.
We have been there in late September. Crowds are still there, and the boats often do not run owing to rough water, but it is cool and comfortable. All the restaurants/stores are still open.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:01 AM   #2886
Give me a forum ...

We rented a flat, or an apartment when we were in Cinque Terre. It worked out well. We had lots of room, a great view, and it was less expensive than some of the hotels. We had it for four nights in early October. Weather was fine, crowds were thinning.

We visited self service laundry that was very convenient to a café next door. Spent some very pleasant time talking to some Australian tourists over a few drinks while our dirty clothes went round and round.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:48 AM   #2887
Give me a forum ...

One thing to note is that parts of the Blue Path are closed because of the mudslides from several years ago. The easiest segment, between Riomaggiore and Manarola, is almost flat, takes maybe an hour to get through. But it is closed.

However, the most scenic segment I think is between Vernazza and Corniglia. However, I didn't walk this entire path. I got off the train in VErnazza and headed south (SE actually) and climbed steps for about 20-30 minutes and there is this exquisite view overlooking all of Vernazza.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_6300.jpg (754.8 KB, 10 views)
Old 05-19-2016, 07:20 PM   #2888
Confused about dryer sheets

Love Waterton Lakes! Grew up in Lethbridge, Alberta which is approx. an hour drive to the park. Hiked every trail and spent most of my youth there.

If I had to pick between Banff and Waterton Lakes, my vote would go to Waterton Lakes National Park. The town site is not commercialized as is Banff, much less crowded and much more wildlife present. It's not uncommon to see bears and you're almost guaranteed to see deer roaming the town site. One time I was playing golf and a black bear ran across the seventh hole just as I was teeing off. Awesome sight!

If your planning to hike any trails, I would definitely recommend Crypt Lake. You're going to love this hike!

Have fun!
Old 05-19-2016, 07:23 PM   #2889

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
This is one we are deferring until 2017. It appears now is too late for us to make optimal reservations:

fly into Calgary
drive to Waterton and stay there for hikes
drive to Glacier and hike
drive up to Banff for a day or two
drive up the parkway and see some nice scenery plus glaciers
stay in Jaspar for some days, good hikes
back to Calgary for flight
If you're planning to hike in Waterton Lakes, I would definitely recommend the Crypt Lakes trail.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:26 PM   #2890
Moderator Emeritus

Finishing up the planning on this 11 day road trip. Fly Chi-Sea, Drive to LA, Fly back to Chi.
Attached Images
File Type: png westcoasttripmap.png (1.26 MB, 25 views)
Old 05-19-2016, 07:33 PM   #2891

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone4Good View Post
Loved Vietnam. It was easily our favorite out of a six country South East Asia trip.
Our favorite as well. On that trip we also did Siem Reap, Cambodia.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:09 PM   #2892
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave0823 View Post
If you're planning to hike in Waterton Lakes, I would definitely recommend the Crypt Lakes trail.
I'll make a note of that trail, thanks. We will probably start trying to make reservations around November 2016. Seems early enough unless others think differently.
Old 05-24-2016, 06:57 AM   #2893
Give me a forum ...

Contemplating a round-the-world trip with this line.......lots of clean underwear required.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/ByGSMmenPDM?rel=0

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 05-24-2016, 12:51 PM   #2894

Doing a lot of "city" travel this summer.

1) Boston (never been)
2) NYC
3) Washington DC
4) Charleston SC (never been)
Old 05-24-2016, 02:25 PM   #2895

Taking DW to Prague this summer (first time for her). I can navigate the city pretty well, but would really appreciate any recommendations for good (not overly expensive) restaurants. We'll be staying in the Old Town, so walking distance to nearly everything.
Old 05-24-2016, 05:01 PM   #2896
Give me a forum ...

After 3 trips to Europe, Vegas, San Francisco and Hawaii and 2 cruises (in 2 years), our near future travels are going to be curtailed greatly.

My wife bought a big handmade rug for our dining room when we were in Turkey 2 weeks ago, and we won't be going anywhere for a couple of years.

We'll do some summer river cruising on our boat and do some staycations in the meantime. We have not even been to the three major cities within 2 hours of our house in 2 years.
Old 05-24-2016, 05:03 PM   #2897
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclover View Post
Doing a lot of "city" travel this summer.

1) Boston (never been)
2) NYC
3) Washington DC
4) Charleston SC (never been)

Holler if you need any tips or suggestions on my hometown (4). Always glad to help out our visitors.
Sarah

Old 05-26-2016, 04:01 PM   #2898

Mexico cruise with 4 grandkids in June

Last night, I was considering a train trip -- SFO to CHICAGO or CHARLESTON by Amtrak. Flown over the country but only been to West Coast & New England, DC, Miami, New Orleans

Then Edinburg Scotland is still on my 2016 list
Old 05-26-2016, 06:32 PM   #2899
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
We also travel with hand luggage only. I don't think we have patience to wait for luggage. I buy more whatever I need when I get there.
I cannot tell you how many travelers we ran into on our recent trip to Italy and the Greek Isles hauling 4 of those giant 50 lb. suitcases. Airlines need to refuse to allow travelers to haul so much.

Had my mother ever learned how to pack into a 22" roller, she'd have been able to travel 10 years longer. My poor father used to have to handle all her luggage, and I used to feel so sorry for him.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:11 PM   #2900
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
After 3 trips to Europe, Vegas, San Francisco and Hawaii and 2 cruises (in 2 years), our near future travels are going to be curtailed greatly.

My wife bought a big handmade rug for our dining room when we were in Turkey 2 weeks ago, and we won't be going anywhere for a couple of years.
Because she blew the next two years travel budget on the Turkish rug