Anyone got any travel planned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not catching too many, but enough walleye for a dinner. At Kettle Falls, in the boundary waters.

Nice! I was just thinking the other day that I really need to head to NW Ontario at least once more for walleye fishing. I've done about 10 trips up there over the years........some to drive-to lodges, and some to fly-in camps. Haven't gone in recent years, and I miss it. Always had a good time, and always managed to catch plenty of walleyes (especially at the fly-in camps). You can't beat a shore lunch of freshly-caught walleyes and a cold beer..........heaven.:)

I have many great shore lunch memories, but this time we had a kitchen. I'm off the boat now, back to civilization (if you call the Fort Frances area "civilization").

I was just thinking about doing the coast to coast walk - would you mind sharing which guide outfit you went with ? So far I looked at REI and national geographic

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

We're using Sherpa Walking Holidays out of the UK. Link icon not working for me as I respond here via our hotel's shaky Wifi, but I believe the url is sherpaexpeditions.com. They have an unguided option as well for a bit les $$. This is our second time using them, as a result of how well coordinated our first trip (unguided option) using them went.

Last edited:
We're using Sherpa Walking Holidays out of the UK. Link icon not working for me as I respond here via our hotel's shaky Wifi, but I believe the url is sherpaexpeditions.com. They have an unguided option as well for a bit les $$. This is our second time using them, as a result of how well coordinated our first trip (unguided option) using them went.

Thank you ! I'll check them out

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Starting to plan our first extended road trip since retiring. We had intended to drive across the US, but some health issues have put that on the back burner. We've now planning a September trip up the coast of Maine, into New Brunswick, up to Prince Edward Island, then across New Brunswick into Québec, then south through New Hampshire. Figure this will be good practice for a longer trip next year. Just starting to research places to stay in various spots we plan to visit. Figure we'll be on the road at least three weeks.

DH and I just booked a trip to walk across northern England next May. More commonly known as the 190+ mile Coast to Coast walk, we'll be doing this with a guide and about 10 other folk. From there we'll travel up to Scotland and then Iceland on our own before returning home.

Scratch Iceland, insert Norway. We had such a wonderful time with the family this week in Cancun, oldest DD wants to do a hiking trek with us next summer, so we'll be heading to Norway after England/Scotland for a week of high fjord hiking, using the same company that we'll be using for the Coast to Coast portion (European Walking and Cycling Holidays | Sherpa Expeditions).

The reason is that Iceland is a little too dear for her budget, and we're happy to make the change out in order to have her join in on the fun.

Last edited:
Definitely looking them up! Thanks

We used them for a two week self-guided trek through the Swiss Alps and were very impressed with their attention to detail. Feel free to send me a PM with any specific queztions regarding our experience with them.

Last edited:
I picked this self-guided one because I know a kid who's doing a semester abroad in that area this year (grandson's boyfriend who's been a family member for 3 yrs) and I thought it would be fun to drop in on him. Plus I'm a vegetarian so it's easier for me to just plan my own food :)
Provence Walking Tour In Van Gogh's Footsteps | Hiking France
Or
Rambling-in-the-Luberon

I don't know how to send private messages

click on the username of the person you want to talk to and click on the private message link.

Scratch Iceland, insert Norway. We'll be heading to Norway after England/Scotland for a week of high fjord hiking.

I have my own trip to Norway planned for September. Two weeks in the south west fjords and a week at Lofoten.

Have a couple weeks in the South Sudan coming up... just have to wait for the fighting to settle down!

Have a couple weeks in the South Sudan coming up... just have to wait for the fighting to settle down!

Is this for work or pleasure?

Family member had a potential return assignment there but postponed indefinitely due to fighting.

Next up for us is a week+ in each of Brussels and Prague. Renting an apartment with friends. Past travels have been Greece/Turkey, London, Ireland, Spain/Portugal, France (Burgundy and Provence), Baltic Sea cruise, Japan, Alaska, Australia. Next year we have a Columbia and Snake rivers cruise scheduled.

Originally Posted by 6miths

Is this for work or pleasure?

Family member had a potential return assignment there but postponed indefinitely due to fighting.

Well traveling to Africa is always a pleasure in my book but it does involve things that some might consider w@rk. Not me though, I'm retired. We can get alot done remotely but planning 2 weeks on the ground. Waiting for things to settle. Such that settled is in that part of the world.

We will be visiting Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin for a few days over Labor Day and staying at the historic Lodge at Latham Smith:

The Lodge at Leathem Smith - HOME

We will also visit family and friends in Wisconsin while we are there. The next trip (October) may include New England where I was raised and then to the south (Carolinas) for a friends and family visit. We are done with international travel and will just spend our travel time in North America and possibly Mexico.

Not 'planned' but rather 'lightly investigated', all part of my "Adjust & adapt" philosophy:

If/when I'm no longer eligible for international medical insurance, and will thence vacation solely in Canada, DW & I are looking at a return* trip by train from our home city to Vancouver, (DW's never been west of Lake Superior within Canada).

Do it in the winter when it's quieter & cheaper (albeit wetter).......grab the bus in Vancouver to Horseshoe Bay...ferry to Nanaimo.....rent a car in Nanaimo.....perhaps up to Telegraph Cove, west to Ucluelet, 'east' to Salt Spring (where I used to live)......down to Victoria..back to Nanaimo....back to Vancouver.

(*The return train fare, since it brings us home rather than dropping us in Toronto Airport as a flight back would do, is for us by far the better deal.)

Have you investigated the cost of "out-of-province" health coverage? I hear bad stories about that. Not as bad as the US though.

Travelling outside Ontario in Canada

We 'presumed' (rightly or wrongly) that there'd be a degree of cost reciprocity between provinces, and that cost differentials wouldn't be (excessively) punitive........certainly be worth checking out though....thanks!

I have my own trip to Norway planned for September. Two weeks in the south west fjords and a week at Lofoten.

Every time I go on such a trip, I go to Wikipedia to check the city out. They have a chart that has high and low temperatures, average rainfall and AVERAGE DAYS WITH RAIN.

The farther you go north, the quicker the rains and bad weather comes. Checkout Norway's weather and you might find it pretty rainy starting in September.

We were in Oslo and Bergen last September, and had just glorious weather--a rarity people said.

Next up for us is a week+ in each of Brussels and Prague. Renting an apartment with friends. Past travels have been Greece/Turkey, London, Ireland, Spain/Portugal, France (Burgundy and Provence), Baltic Sea cruise, Japan, Alaska, Australia. Next year we have a Columbia and Snake rivers cruise scheduled.

Brussels and Prague are THE beer cities. We started our visits with Free Walking Tours and took their Nightlife Tours--with 20 or so crazies from all over the world. It was a great way to find the really good restaurants and beer halls.

Scratch Iceland, insert Norway. We had such a wonderful time with the family this week in Cancun, oldest DD wants to do a hiking trek with us next summer, so we'll be heading to Norway after England/Scotland for a week of high fjord hiking, using the same company that we'll be using for the Coast to Coast portion (European Walking and Cycling Holidays | Sherpa Expeditions).

The reason is that Iceland is a little too dear for her budget, and we're happy to make the change out in order to have her join in on the fun.

Iceland is more expensive than Norway?

Every time I go on such a trip, I go to Wikipedia to check the city out. They have a chart that has high and low temperatures, average rainfall and AVERAGE DAYS WITH RAIN.

I research the weather too. I check these sites:

besttimetogo.com
thebesttimetovisit.com
holiday-weather.com
whereandwhen.net

Just returned from a couple of weeks in Europe. One of my bucket list items had been to visit Aachen's cathedral because I've always been fascinated with Charlemagne and the beginnings of the Holy Roman Empire.

It was nice, but I would skip it if I had known. Aachen is a pretty humdrum town, and the main feature (beyond selling Charlemagne to tourists) seemed to be at least one Greek restaurant in every block.

I had planned a full day there, but after three hours I got back on a train and split.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom