Anyone got any travel planned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're heading to Niagra Falls early next month. From there, a couple of days in Toronto. We've never been to either. Any tips about a "must-see or do" in either. We're flying into Buffalo, then driving from there.

We recently returned from 2 weeks in Toronto and a couple nights in Niagara Falls. Great places to visit.

We bought a bus pass for Niagara Falls and explored the area that way. Also walked to the American side for the day (we're US citizens but were staying on the Canadian side). We decided to skip the Maid of the Mist because of the long lines. You can soak up the views for a day or two. Go visit at twilight and at night too, looks different at that point. Also travel north a few miles and there are some neat overlooks of the Whirlpool.

For Toronto, what do you enjoy? Chinatown is neat. Great cheap food and very culturally rich if you've never seen one before. We toured City Hall and snuck into the old City Hall (currently a courthouse). Visited Centre Islands by ferry (nice 2 mile walk from the middle island to the north island along the waterfront).

Our airbnb rental was on the west side of town near High Park so we visited there several times. You could spend hours walking the paths and trails. If you like art, the Art Gallery of Ontario is very impressive (and free on Wednesday evenings).

Saturday morning I'm publishing a huge blog post full of pics and details on our full 3.5 week road trip this summer (also went to Washington DC, Detroit, Mammoth Cave, Nashville, and Dayton's Air Force Museum). I can't link to the post due to forum rules but you can find my blog in my profile.

We're heading to Niagra Falls early next month. From there, a couple of days in Toronto. We've never been to either. Any tips about a "must-see or do" in either. We're flying into Buffalo, then driving from there.....

Definitely drive to the Canadian side of the Falls, and you can park and then stand right by the edge of the falls, just where it goes over.

If you are interested, you can for a fee, go behind the falls in a tunnel on the Canadian side, it used to come out on the table platform at the bottom and beside the falls, but I don't know if it still does.

There is a cable car that crosses over the river, if you like that type of view. Lots of places to drive and park down river to see the whirl pools, and there is a flower garden as well.

We're heading to Niagra Falls early next month. From there, a couple of days in Toronto. We've never been to either. Any tips about a "must-see or do" in either. We're flying into Buffalo, then driving from there.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

We'll be at Niagara Falls over Labor Day weekend, staying at the Marriott on the Canadian side with a view of the falls from the room. Last time we were there was about 8 years ago. We had a great time and decided to do it again this year.

Enjoying life!

Niagara Falls: In 2010 we enjoied the Tower Hotel (formerly Monolta Tower). The rewiews were mixed and still are, but the views from the "full view" rooms are excellent.
Rooms were small but clean and we had no complaints.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Drive up the Niagara Parkway to Niagara on the Lake.

When in Toronto go up the CN Tower. Head east and walk the boardwalk at The Beach. If time permits, take the ferry to Toronto Island for a day.

Depends whatcha like doing ?!! :LOL:

I guess you'll be here around the same time as TIFF ? (Sept. 8-18) Lots of great movies...

Thanks. Speaking of TIFF, I believe that will cause a lot of hotel rooms to fill up and cost more. I haven't booked the Toronto lodging yet and was thinking of staying on the outskirts and using the subway to go sight see. Feasible? We're planning on doing the usual tourist stuff, the tower, China town, the St. Lawrence Market, etc. As much as we can do in 2/3 days.

Drive up the Niagara Parkway to Niagara on the Lake.

When in Toronto go up the CN Tower. Head east and walk the boardwalk at The Beach. If time permits, take the ferry to Toronto Island for a day.

Thanks. I think the ferry ride will be nice for the short time we are there.

Thanks. I think the ferry ride will be nice for the short time we are there.

Try a stroll around the little community on Ward's Island...on and off, for some fifty years or so, the city has tried to expropriate all the properties......but it seems they're still going strong.

(I haven't lived in Toronto for some thirty-five years, but visiting Ward's Island back then (and possibly still today) was a relaxing break from the bustle of downtown Toronto......again, it's been decades since I was there so I'm not au courant with the ferry schedule, but it used to be that a separate ferry went to Ward's...not the one going to Centre Island although you catch both from the same terminal.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_Islands#Community (scroll down to 'Community)

Last edited:
Thanks. Speaking of TIFF, I believe that will cause a lot of hotel rooms to fill up and cost more. I haven't booked the Toronto lodging yet and was thinking of staying on the outskirts and using the subway to go sight see. Feasible? We're planning on doing the usual tourist stuff, the tower, China town, the St. Lawrence Market, etc. As much as we can do in 2/3 days.

Oh, absolutely will the prices and space be limited ! But only downtown (TIFF takes place mostly downtown and your TIFF types need to "see and be seen" lol) Any hotel outside the immediate downtown core should be fine and if you are getting around by subway, it generally works fine. I am partial to the west end since that is where I have tended to live (see the blog post by Fuego. He scored a real nice Airbnb in the Roncy neighborhood. I used to live a few blocks from there). However there are a lot of nice hotels in the "North York" suburb and it is a straight shot downtown on the subway from there. Whatever you do, don't fall for the cheap prices at the bazillion airport hotels... you'll spend your whole holiday in traffic !

Having said all that.. try the downtown hotels first..:LOL: If you get lucky it is better to stay down there. Toronto is a very walkable city and it is better and more fun to be close to the action...

Also give Hotwire a try. Usually the hotel you get will be one you would have selected anyway. And google will give you the transit choices.

Just wanted to share my upcoming plans for February. Taking a 10 day tour of Spain. Plans are to hit Madrid, Sevilla, Granada and Barcelona. Flying into Madrid and out of Barcelona.

Trip will be for my 41st birthday in February and my birthday will actually be while I am in Sevilla so really looking forward to the trip. Enrolled in a Spanish class so I can hopefully communicate a bit while I am there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driving trip (worn out on airplanes/airports)

We are going to Sturgeon Bay, WI for a few days and then visiting SIL in Tomahawk, WI for a few more days. Be back in H-town on the 8th or 9th.

Going to Mackinac Island from Chicago in September. Heard it is a nice drive up there. I was there with my family 50 years ago. It was summer and hot. We stayed at the Grand Hotel at which time had no air conditioning. Has anyone been there recently? Looking forward to it. Thanks:dance:

Our room had AC in July of this year. Had a great time!

We are just about to leave Dublin and drive around for ten days. The people here are amongst the friendliest people we have met anywhere in our travels.

Niagra Falls: been twice, done pretty much everything. Agree that some of the best exhibits are standing on the edge where it the water goes over. Free on both sides.

To me, however, you should not miss "Cave of the Winds". This is on the American side where you go down on the deck below and watch the falls come down on you, literally. Sadly, they've cheapened it a bit with plastic sandals and plastic bag ponchos. Still worth it. Up until about 20 years ago, the attraction was very old school with traditional fisherman ponchos and woven moccasins. Basically the same attraction my grandmother and grandfather did on their honeymoon. But that's over. It is still worth it.

The window under the falls on the Canadian side is OK too. But I love the deck on the American side.

Maid of the Mist? To me, overrated. But if you have the time, you have to do it.

For Toronto, we enjoyed hanging out downtown and checking things out. We stayed somewhere north (can't remember where) and took the subway. Very nice. Enjoyed a few good meals. As a hockey fan, the Hockey Hall of Fame was a must. It is one of the best HoF of any sport. Right downtown. Very nice. I really enjoyed Toronto and want to go back just to explore some day.

We are just about to leave Dublin and drive around for ten days. The people here are amongst the friendliest people we have met anywhere in our travels.
One note of caution. Many of the smaller roads have walls or hedgerows close to the road. It got really exciting to ride in a tour bus which took up 3/4 of the road

Just wanted to share my upcoming plans for February. Taking a 10 day tour of Spain. Plans are to hit Madrid, Sevilla, Granada and Barcelona. Flying into Madrid and out of Barcelona.
Barcelona is rainy and cool in February (41 mm on average and highs of 14 C). Make sure to take your umbrella.:dance:

And Madrid is cold too.

One thing which might be surprising to people is that Madrid is at the highest altitude for a capital in Europe.

Barcelona is rainy and cool in February (41 mm on average and highs of 14 C). Make sure to take your umbrella.:dance:

Reminded me of being in Torremolinos early 1970, 600 miles SW of Barcelona......it was so wet that the locals were calling it the Costa del Agua.

One note of caution. Many of the smaller roads have walls or hedgerows close to the road. It got really exciting to ride in a tour bus which took up 3/4 of the road

No kidding, I just returned from a similar trip and put the rental into a ditch on one of those narrow roads. Not to mention regularly clipping the vegetation along the side of the road with the passenger side mirror.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We are planning for a Canadian parks vacation next year starting in July. We'll be hiking in:
1) Banff 4 days
2) Jasper 6 days
3) Waterton 5 days

I was thinking about flying Air Canada (from SFO) and adding another Canadian destination to this i.e. open jaws flights. We've done the Vancouver-Victoria areas. Maybe Montreal would be nice but I don't see all that much exciting on TripAdvisor. Any thoughts on other destinations and activities in the mid-July time frame?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom