Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 09:23 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nphx View Post
well get to Demming NM and dont miss the Saturday night out house race - Great American Duck Race of Deming, Inc.

I'll be sure to print the schedule of events so they won't miss a thing!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2010, 08:27 AM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderALot View Post
Yeah we were in Uruguay, Argentina and Chile, but most of the trip was in Argentina. It was awesome. Beef should not be allowed to taste that good! Flew into Montevideo, stayed in Buenos Aires for 6 days, flew up to Iguazu falls, then to Mendoza for some wine tasting, and finally took the bus over the Andes to Valparaiso before finishing up in Santiago.

Buenos Aires is a wonderful city. Did you notice that their Spanish is much different than Mexican Spanish when you were there? I'm not a good Spanish speaker but the accent is quite different. Wine tasting in Mendoza was fabulous. Much different than wine tasting in California. Not better or worse, just different. The Andes were just incredible! We were very fortunate to get a great view of Aconcagua!
I agree about the beef. Mmmmm... Even the steak sandwich carts at the public park were delicious and top notch.

Their spanish was nearly incomprehensible to me. It took me a while to figure out what they were saying, and I would often have to "translate" in my head to mexican spanish before I could understand what they were saying. They use different words for things than Mexican Spanish as well.

Good to hear the trip went well. Iguazu falls is on our "to do" list next time we are down that way.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:04 PM   #63
Full time employment: Posting here.

In August we are going to try two weeks in an RV in Alaska in the coastal areas.
We have had RVs before but not in Alaska

In October we have ten days in Rome before I do a conference in Paris. DW goes home and I go to Bonn Munich Salzburg and Kempten all on professional work.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:25 PM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

We should be in Maine tomorrow. The 63rd Annual Maine Lobster Festival started yesterday. Not sure if we will even go....but we like having travel goals.

A couple years ago, we stayed around the Black Hills waiting for the Buffalo Roundup. When the day got there, we decided not to fight the traffic.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:42 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

We're winding our way through Arkansas tomorrow, taking the backroads through the Ozarks, and on to Missouri soon. And then maybe Kansas or Oklahoma, or who knows where? Spontaneous, relaxed trips are such fun.

No goals for us but we like it that way.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 08-05-2010, 06:06 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

I have been surfing the Web, looking at RV parks and campgrounds, and scrolling through Google Earth. So many places to go... I need to finish a few things before we can hit the road, perhaps in late August or early September. Man, the summer is almost over...

I start to wonder if it is a good thing to tow the toad for this trip; it may simply become a liability if we do not visit major cities and just want to stay in the "wilderness".

By the way, I want to stop in the LA area and Orange County to visit some relatives and friends. Looking at the map, it looks like there are few RV parks there, other than a few in Anaheim. Even dumping the tanks is a hassle. There are no places other than a few RV storage places, and they want $20 just for dumping. Traveling to those places might be a hassle with the gridlock traffic. I might just forget about this stop.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 08-05-2010, 06:08 PM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
We are
Oh, and in November we're heading to Florida to see the launch of Discovery - only two shuttle launches left before the program is history.
This should be a bank holiday so we can all go. Best of wishes on this trip.

As for me and DF, once she is DW we leave for our Mediterranean cruise the next day. Two days in Barcelona, get on the boat the second day; finish in Venice for two days. The wedding is just an excuse for a honeymoon
Old 08-05-2010, 06:08 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger View Post
We should be in Maine tomorrow. The 63rd Annual Maine Lobster Festival started yesterday. Not sure if we will even go....but we like having travel goals.

A couple years ago, we stayed around the Black Hills waiting for the Buffalo Roundup. When the day got there, we decided not to fight the traffic.
I share that philosophy to a "T"... including, also, skipping the Custer State Park Buffalo Roundup.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:23 PM   #69
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Wahoo,
Shuttle launches are awesome! We use to watch them from our front yard when we were stationed at Patrick. I watched Challenger from the number one for takeoff position at Patrick. Amazing enough it only delayed out takeoff about 5 min.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:45 PM   #70
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
Shuttle launches are awesome!
Demand to see the launch from the Kennedy Space Center Complex is so great they are holding a lottery to win the opportunity to purchase tickets. We're all set to watch from our RV park, but I'm throwing my name in the hat on the slight chance we'll get to buy a seat on the front row.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:16 PM   #71

We are currently on our trip from Germany to see relatives in San Francisco + Denver. Then flew to Niagra Falls and crossed through NY + Vermont to Maine. Arrived at Bar Harbor today and will fly back to Germany on Sunday.

In Oct. one week in northern Italy is planned, too.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:49 PM   #72

My nephew and his wife visited us in Oregon from Michigan for 6 days. I took them to the Columbia River Gorge after picking them up at the airport. The next day I took them to Cannon Beach, Ecola State Park and Hug Point. Saturday we went into Portland and hit Saturday Market, the Bite of Portland and the dinner cruise on the Columbia River. Sunday we drove up to Forks, WA (the wife is a Twilight fan). Monday we went to Hurricane Ridge in the Olympic Pennisula - OMG, that is gorgeous. Tuesday we went to a drive through animal park then drove them to the PDX airport.

I love the Pacific Northwest. I can't wait to retire and explore, I am never disappointed.

It was really nice to have them here and to watch their reaction as I showed them the sights.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:57 AM   #73

Wahoo,
The beach at the end of Partick's runway is another good spot to watch. The shuttle lifts off from Canaveral and heads south over open water to the east of Patrick. You are a little far away to see the shuttle clearly but you get a nice long view. Not many know it, but a lot of the early flight briefs took place on Patrick. Our squadron building had a huge briefing room with rear projectors and overheads. This for a FAC squadron. I learned it was the primary briefing room for the early missions. It's also cool to be on the beach when big airplanes land. The primary runway in the summer is over the beach. I don't know what flies out of there now.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:12 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
.......... The next day I took them to Cannon Beach, Ecola State Park and Hug Point. .........
Hey, DW and I got married at Hug Point. That is such a cool place to explore when the tide is out. Just got back from two weeks in that area - Manzanita.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:22 AM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Leaving tomorrow on our big trip to the Finger Lakes. Cannot wait.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
Old 08-13-2010, 12:19 PM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

We just pulled the trigger on a 14 day cruise from San Pedro to Hawaii to Ensenada and back to LA for Christmas. Golden Princess on princess cruises. Christmas during the 4-day cruise over and New Years during the 4-day cruise back. Four ports in Hawaii (Hawaii, Oahu, Maui and Kawaii). Mini suite for me, dw and 2 kids and interiors for brother's family and sis in law's family. The 7 teens can all go nuts. Best of all dw's parents are springing for it!
Old 08-13-2010, 04:28 PM   #77
Recycles dryer sheets

Went on an Alaska cruise in May. Going from Florida to Calif next week to visit family. Oct will be Salt Lake City. April 2011 a 3 week tour of China with my sister. I'm very excited about that one never having been there before !!!
Old 08-14-2010, 01:23 AM   #78

Just got back from 10 days in Alaska near Ketchikan on remote semi-developed private land. Highs around 75 the first four days, so there were many giant flies (ouch) in addition to the mosquitos (relatively minor). After that it calmed down. Beach and forest hiking, clamming, drinking, relaxing. Counted 58 bites on my left lower arm while waiting in SeaTac between flights.
Old 08-14-2010, 02:32 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Cool, let me know if you do the one in Rehoboth. I live about 30 minutes away. I'll come watch you run past. Even buy you a beer after if you survive.
Harley, it turns out there's a small local marathon I'm going to run in December instead of going up to Rehoboth. Thanks anyway!
Old 08-14-2010, 04:34 PM   #80
Recycles dryer sheets

Recently booked special deal on Alaska air. New nonstop service from San Diego to Maui... $237 per person RT! Booked it on same day as special came across internet. Looking forward to swimming with the turtles!
Closed Thread