Anyone got any travel planned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The people who post to this travel thread about frequent luxurious trips must be drawn from a different set from the people who post moderate invested assets and modest expenses on other threads, and those who are trying to wring the last penny from their food budget.

I am always confused about this.

Ha

The people who post to this travel thread about frequent luxurious trips must be drawn from a different set from the people who post moderate invested assets and modest expenses on other threads, and those who are trying to wring the last penny from their food budget.

Ha

I guess "Financially Independent" means different things to different people. DW and I are basically frugal me more so than she, however we budget for and look forward to traveling. I don't think those posting here are all that different than the budget conscious, perhaps just different spending priorities.

Ha
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I'll be strolling around Land's End today without a cruise ship, will eat out all meals; that's luxury enough for me.;) As jimnjana says, it's all about priorities and deciding how to use resources.

I guess "Financially Independent" means different things to different people. DW and I are basically frugal me more so than she, however we budget for and look forward to traveling. I don't think those posting here are all that different than the budget conscious, perhaps just different spending priorities.

Ha

See the USA in your Chevrolet - taking my 06 Equinox for a 2-3 wk trip out to the rain forest west of Port Angeles, WA in a week or so to visit Sis and BIL recently retired - no particular route just driving that direction til I get there.

heh heh heh - won't sleep in rest stops but will look for cheap motels. :ROFLMAO: :D ;).

See the USA in your Chevrolet - taking my 06 Equinox for a 2-3 wk trip out to the rain forest west of Port Angeles, WA in a week or so to visit Sis and BIL recently retired - no particular route just driving that direction til I get there.

heh heh heh - won't sleep in rest stops but will look for cheap motels. :ROFLMAO: :D ;).

If you stop in Seattle give me a call. I'll even stand you to a coffee and Top Pot donut. :)

Ha

Different priorities I guess. Our core expenses right now are running $21000 a year or so (for a family of 4 not including our to be paid off mortgage). I'm guessing we will spend $12000 a year or so on traveling during ER once we have more time and aren't working. In other words a huge proportion of our ER budget will be travel. Unless/until we get tired of it. Now, $12000 a year won't buy a lot of luxury for four of us, but it will take us a long ways to some interesting places.

I guess there are plenty of people on here who spend over $10,000 a year on other interests/hobbies. Like McMansions, RV's, airplanes, boats, etc. Gotta have something to do to answer the question "whaddya do all day"... :)

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I'll be strolling around Land's End today without a cruise ship, will eat out all meals; that's luxury enough for me.;)
Hey..I have a trip planned today. I'm gonna go to the liquor store and stock up. :greetings10:

I make this trip at least twice a year...I have to drive 30 minutes for the 'hard' stuff...stupid liquor laws. :rant:

Leaving for Canada on Sunday. Plan is to drive up from Texas, stopping as we go in motels, to our first place which is a rented house in Niagara-on-the-Lake, then off to Whitby and then to Georgian Bay.

This is a family re-union of DW's with 18 1st cousins from Canada, England and Scotland. The week in Georgian Bay is just ourselves and our son who will be flying up.

Ha

If it's any consolation, I won't be taking any expensive vacations this year...

DW and I finally agreed to go down to the Florida Keys for a few days next Monday. We will be staying at Hawks Cay and then will move around the state a little and explore. I'll let everyone know how we enjoy Hawks Cay and any other adventures we run into.

Plan on renting a couple of Harleys in Arizona/NV with my brother and drive! The Costa Rica, for the holidays.

Have you been to Hurricane Ridge? I've been there twice, the last time being a month ago. I plan to go back and do some serious hiking. It is incredibly beautiful.

I collect Hard Rock Cafe guitar pins and have about 50 of them from all over the world and the US. I have 4 days off in October and have based a driving trip on picking up some of the gaps in my collection: Nashville-Cleveland-Niagara-Toronto-Detroit-Chicago-St Louis-Nashville. It remains to be seen whether I have any time for actual sightseeing...

Planning to climb Borah Peak by the southwest ridge route today and tomorrow. If I don't post back here by Sunday midnight, someone please send the cavalry.

2Cor521

Cavalry not required. Home safe.

2Cor521

I collect Hard Rock Cafe guitar pins and have about 50 from around the world and the US. I am planning a trip in October to fill in some gaps in my collection: Nashville-Pittsburgh-Cleveland-Niagara-Toronto-Detroit-Chicago-St Louis-Nashville. Think I can do it in 4 days?

Planning to drive from Independence Oregon down to pick up the gal at her Mom's place in 29 Palms a. Then a loose plan for a return trip through Prescott and Flagstaff AZ, Santa Fe NM, Durango and Silverton CO, Yellowstone WY, and then back through the northeastern corner of Oregon. Should be about a 4000 mile trip and i plan to pick her up on the 27th of this month. Am wondering if I should be concerned about snow anywhere, don't plan to be more than maybe a couple weeks on the road.

well i have been on two trips of a lifetime so it is my brides turn... she picked a cruise that leaves out of Sydney Australia and goes to the south pacific - fiji - new caledonia - etc... and she is taking me :) If you want to read more I blogged about it recently zeetraveler.blogspot.com

Planning to drive from Independence Oregon down to pick up the gal at her Mom's place in 29 Palms a. Then a loose plan for a return trip through Prescott and Flagstaff AZ, Santa Fe NM, Durango and Silverton CO, Yellowstone WY, and then back through the northeastern corner of Oregon. Should be about a 4000 mile trip and i plan to pick her up on the 27th of this month. Am wondering if I should be concerned about snow anywhere, don't plan to be more than maybe a couple weeks on the road.

People are all different- but I would be concerned about snow. I used to ignore weather then had a really rough time once in the Rockies and now I do my long distance mountain travel only in summer.

Ha

agree with ha. but, i will say this, i would rather be in colorado on i-70 in a snowstorm than i-80 in wyoming. wyoming's snow removal is minimal at best. i've done it before, and i'll never do it again.

best thing to do during a snowstorm, pull over and let it pass. find a nice cozy room at the hojo.

Just finished a vacation through the Four Corners area, Monument Valley, Lake Powell, the Grand Canyon, & Sedona. Incredible scenery. Don't miss Antelope Slot Canyon if you go to Lake Powell.

100_6094.jpg

Antelope Slot Canyon

100_5540.jpg

Approaching Monument Valley from the North

100_5404.jpg

Window Rock

100_5441.jpg

Canyon de Chelly

100_5735.jpg

Lake Powell at sunset

100_6378.jpg

Grand Canyon South Rim

100_6532.jpg

Sedona

100_5277.jpg

Acoma Pueblo

People are all different- but I would be concerned about snow. I used to ignore weather then had a really rough time once in the Rockies and now I do my long distance mountain travel only in summer.

Oh! You are missing some of the best parts. Being "snowed in" is something I look forward to... now that I have no particular place "to be." The "unexpected" is the "spice of life" you know.

Taking truck camper to Montauk Pt. in October for 5 days.
and then two weeks in Hawaii starting January 8. Florida first week in March.
I retired in May. DW is a nanny for 3 children but her employer is very flexible with her working schedule (she has a good friend who is her backup when we travel) I can work around that arrangement for 2 more years until the children are all in school. Then we are totally free!

Don't miss Antelope Slot Canyon if you go to Lake Powell.
DW and her "travel buddy" (another woman she travels with, when I don't go) were just there yesterday; they are on a two week tour of the places you mentioned.

She was trying to describe it to me, on the phone.

Thanks for the picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom