Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Anyone got any travel planned?
Old 08-03-2010, 05:34 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Anyone got any travel planned?

Just wondering if anyone has any exciting trips coming up that they would like to share. We are about done for this year, so am willing to live vicariously thru the travel plans of others.

About the only things we have on the horizon is a trip to UK in Jan for a 50th birthday (brr feeling cold already), perhaps 1 more trip to Hawaii this year and maybe drive to Seattle and Vancouver for Christmas.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2010, 05:45 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

DH and a buddy will be leaving on a motorcycle trip August 18th and will be on the road for three to four weeks. Southern most part of their trip will be in New Mexico and they'll make their way to Montana.

About a 5200 mile road trip.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:58 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
DH and a buddy...
But how about you?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 08-03-2010, 06:11 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
But how about you?
Well that remains to be seen. We'll just have to take a look at our travel budget when his trip is over.

I don't mind delaying travel until next year if I have to...this trip is a dream of his. I can wait.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:17 PM   #5

Doing a road trip to the monterey / monterey jazz festival in sept. for 4 days with a
couple of friends. Any good BBQ joints to be had up in those parts ?
Old 08-03-2010, 06:25 PM   #6
gone traveling

Actually, I have the opposite situation (I'm staying home).

DW/me spent three days in London, followed by a 12 day Baltic cruise in June.

Next month, she and her travel buddy/friend will be heading out west to a canyonlands tour, along with an additional few days in Vegas (no, I don't ask ).

In November, the two of them fly to Cairo for a couple of days, followed by a Nile cruise for a week (yes, I'm staying home for that one, also).

I'm glad she connected with this other gal last year, when we spent a month "down under" on a tour.

I've encouraged her for years to find somebody (other than me) to travel with. We would meet a lot of married women that traveled together and left their DH's at home. I finally get to join that "club" ...
Old 08-03-2010, 06:32 PM   #7
Gone but not forgotten

We are going to Savannah in September and then in November we will do our Thanksgiving trip ( we meet up with my daughter & son in law & grandson ). We have done Washington,DC a few times so we may do Boston this year . Next year is an Alaska cruise and taking my grandson to Disney World . I am also looking at a trip to Italy .
Old 08-03-2010, 06:42 PM   #8

Boulder and Denver in September for 3 weeks. Its an exploratory trip to see if we like the area. We plan to spend a couple of nights in Estes Park and hike in the RMNP. With DW working, we haven't traveled at all this year.

I'll be going to Cape Cod for a couple of days next week to meet some friends.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:45 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I will be going to Ballard on Wednesday, and downtown Thursday night. Any more is beyond my will, and my budget.

Ha
Old 08-03-2010, 06:53 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Went on a cruise to the Western Caribbean this year, which was awesome.

Heading out to San Francisco and Napa Valley later this year with DW. Time to show the West Coasters we East Coasters don't "sip" wine.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:30 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruising out to Angel Island.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:36 PM   #12

Oops I even forgot that I am going to Vegas next month for a girls weekend. Hope it is as much fun and as profitable as it was last year. Still looking for some cheapie accomodation.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:07 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I will be going to Ballard on Wednesday, and downtown Thursday night. Any more is beyond my will, and my budget.

Ha
You daring man!!

We are going to Big Island Kona in 10 days - staying near the snorkle/turtle beach at keauhou (sp?) and going Scuba Diving just about every day....meeting local friends there on the last few days of our trip.

In November, plan to visit Bonaire Island in the Dutch Antilles/carribean for more SCUBA & R&R...can't wait!

These are places we have been before & are jonesing for a re-visit.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:21 PM   #14

We are going to go down to the Florida Keys in Sept for a week. First a few day in Key West and then a few day on Marathon Key. We've never been there so it should be interesting.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:22 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Driving to CA and spending three days at North Rim, AZ on the way.
Then to AK from LV, NV for fishing and returning home the end of August.
Then to Lake Ontario for fishing in September and Arkansas in October.
Just trying to stay cool till November and nice weather in the deep South
Old 08-03-2010, 08:35 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

going to lawton, ok this month to get in shape.

going to colorado in september to finally climb the bastille crack, lumpy ridge in RMNP (walkinwood, may see you there?) and vedauwoo in wyoming (and see my old high school soccer coach who coaches the UofW girls soccer team). that and probably see a bunch of my college buddies while in denver...

trying to put together a climbing trip to red rock canyon in october (near LV)....

The annual pilgrimage back to utah for thanksgiving....may go to moab and try to get some climbing in.

a very unexciting trip to visit my parents in middle of nowhere indiana for christmas...

we didn't make it out of the country this year, but sometimes i think it is better that way. well i did, but business trips don't count.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:09 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Exotic trips to Scranton, PA, and Richmond VA for fall marathons. DD and I are considering a Thanksgiving week trip to Orlando to see the new Harry Potter section at Universal Studios. Also considering a December marathon at Rehoboth Beach, DE, or possibly Austin, TX.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:51 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

"DH and a buddy will be leaving on a motorcycle trip August 18th and will be on the road for three to four weeks. Southern most part of their trip will be in New Mexico and they'll make their way to Montana."

Can I come too? Just need to blow the dust off the Harley.

In late August we plan to hike in Appenzell, Switzerland then head down to Lake Como. Perhaps a drive through France afterwards. Very unstructured trip.

Ck 6
Old 08-04-2010, 12:01 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Our kid flies to Rice U in five days, so next month spouse and I are going to the Families Weekend.

Other than that we're going to enjoy the echoing quiet of being empty nesters... with perhaps a holoholo or two.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:45 AM   #20
Administrator

We are currently 8 weeks into a 10 week vacation in England. We're in Exeter at present having been to London, York, Cheshire and Durham. Off to Durham again tomorrow.

In September we are off to Canada for a month long trip. (Niagara-on-the-Lake, Toronto and Georgian Bay (Lake Huron)
Closed Thread