Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone moved household from US to Ireland? What did you learn from the experi...
Old 08-08-2015, 08:39 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Anyone moved household from US to Ireland? What did you learn from the experi...

What did you learn from the experience?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2015, 08:47 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

No, I went in the opposite direction. Have you looked at the Irish Times recently? They are doing a series called "New to the Parish" on immigrants' POV.

New to the Parish: ‘It’s so much smaller and quieter here’

Old 08-08-2015, 08:52 PM   #3

I came to the U.S. decades ago. I had nothing then, but now I have lots of stuff that I don't want to leave behind. I'll check out the Irish Times article. Thanks for that. 😀

Old 08-09-2015, 04:19 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

You might want to try the UK-Yankee site. Not sure of the Irish info though. I have just recently moved permanently back to N England and there is plenty of helpful people on that site.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:21 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I don't think a UK forum would be much help, seeing how it's a different country and all. (I am assuming you plan to move to the Republic of Ireland). But you could try one of the forums for US expats in Ireland.

Ireland Expat Forum ~ Forum for Expats Living in Ireland

I presume you have already checked out the government site on the subject:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en...ng_to_ireland/
Old 08-09-2015, 09:15 AM   #6

Great advice! Thank you. I'll need to stick to Irish resources. I'm familiar with the country, but not the move process and legal requirements of reintegration. I don't need a visa.

Old 08-09-2015, 09:59 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_X View Post
I don't need a visa.
You don't need a visa to enter the country, but if you wish to establish residence (right to remain) you must fulfill other requirements.

Residence rights of non-EEA nationals

If you are a non-EEA national and intend to come to live in Ireland, there are several important pieces of documentation that you will need before coming here. These documents include:

Your passport: which must be valid for at least the duration of your proposed stay
The relevant visa: if you are a citizen of a visa-required country
An employment permit, business visa or business permission: if you intend to work or engage in business in Ireland

An immigration officer will examine your documentation when you present yourself at the point of entry to Ireland. You may be asked to show evidence that you have enough funds to support yourself and any dependants for the duration of your proposed stay. You may also be required to answer other questions relevant to your application for permission to remain. The onus rests with you to satisfy the immigration officer as to the genuine reason for your presence in Ireland. In other words, you must satisfy them that your credentials are authentic.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:07 AM   #8

Great info on the visa requirements. I have dual citizenship so it's not a legal issue...just an issue of unfamiliarity with the bureaucracy.

Old 08-09-2015, 10:16 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_X View Post
Great info on the visa requirements. I have dual citizenship so it's not a legal issue...just an issue of unfamiliarity with the bureaucracy.
If you are an Irish citizen you can come and go whenever you please.