Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-30-2012, 06:22 PM   #21
Dryer sheet aficionado

Taking first trip in a few weeks to Costa Rica. Will let you know how it goes.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2012, 07:29 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

As mentioned earlier in the thread, I have done three RS trips thus far. In addition the following three are booked:

4. Skiing 4 resorts in Salt Lake City this January.
5. Biking a Rails to Trails in Virginia in May
6. Then in June I will be building a kayak (which I get to bring home) as well as doing some kayaking in Eastern Maryland area. Can't wait for this trip!

Old 12-31-2012, 04:24 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Do singles fare ok on the Road Scholar trips? Meaning, are there singles versus all couples? I made the mistake a few years' ago of taking another organized trip on which I was the only single. Uncomfortable, to say the least.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:09 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Oh yes, there are singles. Keep in in mind that this is usually an older crowd with a spouse who may not be able to travel any more or who are widowed.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:40 PM   #25

My parents love Road Scholar formerly Elder Hostel. They did the Grand Canyon one and enjoyed it.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:12 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
Do singles fare ok on the Road Scholar trips? Meaning, are there singles versus all couples? I made the mistake a few years' ago of taking another organized trip on which I was the only single. Uncomfortable, to say the least.
On the 3 trips I have done thus far, there has been a nice mix of singles and couples. Singles were of both genders.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:05 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

On our Lewis & Clark journey last summer there were 30 participants, 9 couples; and singles: 7 ladies, 5 guys. The whole group got along very well & were quite enjoyable.

Every step of the journey is the journey.
Bram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:33 PM   #28
Dryer sheet aficionado

Just got back from the Costa Rican trip. It was really great! I would recommend Road Scholar. I truly was dubious! There were two singles on the trip and everyone got along well. There were no laggards! Trip was more than I expected it would be!
Old 01-31-2013, 01:04 PM   #29

I've not used Road Scholar but I did visit their website and request a catalog of their North American trips ("America's Best Kept Secrets"). It is arranged by states. Very fun reading and interesting looking trips!
Old 05-11-2013, 05:57 PM   #30

My DH and I took our first Road Scholar trip last month. We did Amelia Island, Cumberland Island and the Okefenokee Swamp. We are 60 and 61. We really enjoyed the trip. We stayed in a Marriott Residence Inn. It was very nice, king size bed, 2 flat screen tvs, kitchen with full size refrig, dishwasher, and living room with couch, chair and desk area. We stay in Hampton Inns a lot of the time and it was much nicer. Most of our dinners were catered and at the hotel and most of them were good, but definitely not great. My DH did not care for our first dinner, but he did enjoy the rest of them. There were at least 3 single ladies, 1 single guy and a mother and daughter. We really enjoyed the people. They were nice and were there to learn and have a good time. I really liked that you did not have to dress up. Our trip coordinator and the experts were extremely nice and knowledgeable. After we did this, we traveled by ourselves, to St Augustine, Key Largo, Key West and the Everglades. I hope to do many more RS trips.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:45 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

I have done 4 Road Scholar trips. It used to be you had to be 55 or your spouse 55 but they have relaxed that. I did:

Grand Canyon Rim to River to Rim which as a previous poster stated includes two nights at Phantom Ranch (try getting that booked yourself!)

Hiking trip to Big Bend NP

Hiking in the Great Smoky Mountains NP (2x)

There are lots of singles, mostly widows I think. On the Smoky Mtns trip the women outnumbered the men 2:1

I always go as a single and do not feel at all unwelcome.

The people who attend these are very educated and erudite. Our dinner table one evening at Big Bend was 3 PhD's, a Princeton prof, an MD, and a psychiatrist. All docs.
Old 08-17-2013, 03:05 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I recently took a Road Scholar trip to the Oregon Festival of American Music in Eugene, OR. The music was fabulous and the educational events were of a high standard. There were three hotel options, of which I chose the most expensive, which was a beautiful new boutique hotel (the Inn at the Fifth). Had I booked this hotel independently, the cost would have been at least 60% higher. All hotels were within easy walking distance of the two venues, so I didn't use the shuttle except for our visit to the Art Museum at the U of Oregon.

The negatives:

Meals were held at the arts center. The food was boring and the service was abysmally slow. Many repeat guests said that this was atypical and that our group (90 people) was by far the largest at this event for many years. I suspect that the local organizers, with a third, new hotel to fill, decided to accept all comers, and didn't ramp up their culinary services accordingly. As a result, I skipped several meals later in the program and did my own thing.

My other negative is my shortcoming, not Road Scholar's. My age (56) was an outlier. I saw only one other person who could pass for <65. The majority of people were in their 70s and 80s, and there were several individuals and couples who were in their 90s. Some people were quite infirm and I thought it was quite courageous of them to take the trip. I must say that everyone I met was extremely nice. There were plenty of single people of both genders. Someone pointed out that this was described as an "easy" trip and therefore would selectively attract older and more infirm guests. The theme of the festival this year was Hollywood in the 30s and 40s, which would be nostalgic for many octogenarians. I love this music too, but I guess I should not have been surprised to be the youngest person there! At one point I felt that I had stepped into a personal care home. To maintain my inner karma I became selective and decided to focus on the music, which was my reason for being there. Thank goodness I had my own transport and could escape to explore the countryside between concerts.

I would consider Road Scholar again but would reserve it for more active trips with (hopefully) a somewhat younger crowd that I could better relate to, and for destinations that would be otherwise difficult to organize. I would be wary of long trips without an escape mechanism. I guess I am a typical introvert when it comes to vacations!
Old 05-04-2017, 02:16 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Any new thoughts on Road Scholar trips since 2013. It's been four years.

Any trip reports?
Old 05-04-2017, 06:58 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I recently took a Road Scholar trip to the Oregon Festival of American Music in Eugene, OR. The music was fabulous and the educational events were of a high standard. There were three hotel options, of which I chose the most expensive, which was a beautiful new boutique hotel (the Inn at the Fifth). Had I booked this hotel independently, the cost would have been at least 60% higher. All hotels were within easy walking distance of the two venues, so I didn't use the shuttle except for our visit to the Art Museum at the U of Oregon.

The negatives:

Meals were held at the arts center. The food was boring and the service was abysmally slow. Many repeat guests said that this was atypical and that our group (90 people) was by far the largest at this event for many years. I suspect that the local organizers, with a third, new hotel to fill, decided to accept all comers, and didn't ramp up their culinary services accordingly. As a result, I skipped several meals later in the program and did my own thing.

My other negative is my shortcoming, not Road Scholar's. My age (56) was an outlier. I saw only one other person who could pass for <65. The majority of people were in their 70s and 80s, and there were several individuals and couples who were in their 90s. Some people were quite infirm and I thought it was quite courageous of them to take the trip. I must say that everyone I met was extremely nice. There were plenty of single people of both genders. Someone pointed out that this was described as an "easy" trip and therefore would selectively attract older and more infirm guests. The theme of the festival this year was Hollywood in the 30s and 40s, which would be nostalgic for many octogenarians. I love this music too, but I guess I should not have been surprised to be the youngest person there! At one point I felt that I had stepped into a personal care home. To maintain my inner karma I became selective and decided to focus on the music, which was my reason for being there. Thank goodness I had my own transport and could escape to explore the countryside between concerts.

I would consider Road Scholar again but would reserve it for more active trips with (hopefully) a somewhat younger crowd that I could better relate to, and for destinations that would be otherwise difficult to organize. I would be wary of long trips without an escape mechanism. I guess I am a typical introvert when it comes to vacations!
80's and 90's my kind of crowd, im going to look at their website now. I never heard of them with this name or any previous incarnation.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 07:09 PM   #35

Signed up for their news letter, did some research hahahah ,this isnt your lay out on the beach, have an umbrella drink kind of get away.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 07:27 PM   #36

Even though we enjoyed our 1 trip with them years ago, we have not done any other trips with them. I would not hesitate to do another trip with them, but we are too busy traveling with family and friends.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:59 PM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

Although we vowed to go on at least one RS trip a year, it has been a couple years since our last RS trip. We thoroughly enjoyed previous experiences. We have had a couple on our Wish List and haven't checked the newer offerings.

The two we hope to check off soon:

San Francisco Signature City (had that one booked last year, but cancelled due to FIL's serious illness)

Chincoteague and Assateague Islands

Quebec City may be third.

I am glad you posted this. This may be just the nudge I needed to make the deposit for SF.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:23 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Have gone on seven or eight RS programs and have been very pleased. I like the educational component, all inclusive offerings, carefully thought out programming, no tipping, and they do read the surveys completed after each trip. Fellow travelers have been very friendly with excellent speakers and group leaders. Food Has been good and way too plentiful while lodging is clean and comfortable. I feel they offer a good value for the cost. I usually add four or five days pre or post trip to satisfy the part of me that wants to get off the beaten path and explore. Many of the things I have done on RS trips I would probably never have done as a solo traveler. Only
downer I can think of is that they require a single supplement. The catalogs are a treasure trove and they are constantly adding new trips. My wish list will take me me about ten years!
Old 05-04-2017, 09:25 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Any trip reports?
Two posts from me last September:

Anyone got any travel planned?

Anyone got any travel planned?

And I'm going on a RS hiking trip to Glacier Nat'l Park this August.
Old 05-05-2017, 02:53 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

We have taken several trips, most recently India, North & South. Loved it. Earlier we did Machu Picchu and the Galapagos Islands. Top notch guides both adventures.

Tags
road scholar travel tour