Appalachian Trail

ikubak

Recycles dryer sheets
As a long-time reader and occasional contributor to the forum, I retired and started traveling more. I am currently hiking the Appalachian Trail and vlogging it on YouTube if any AT aficionados are interested. My trailname is Papa John and the YouTube channel is PJ on the AT. I put out videos when I get to a town and have wifi.

I am currently in northern Virginia about to enter the Shenandoah National Park. If you are into hiking and adventure, I hope you enjoy my perspective on the trail.

Loving retirement!

SOBO or NOBO? I'm just south of SNP.

Nobo. I'm doing a thru hike, Springer to Katahdin. Today is day #70.

Interesting. How long do you plan to be on this trek?

I plan to finish at the end of July or early August.

Great stuff! I subscribed to your channel. I've long wanted to hike the AT, but just as a section hiker.

Beautiful! Keep us informed on your journey.

You aren't John Schnatter are you? Lol

Last edited:
I'm jealous that you are able to go long distance on the Appalachian Trail. Going back to nature like that is such a physical and mental feat.

We have a place in the NE Georgia mountains, and the trail is on top of the mountain above us at around 4000' elevation.

For those that are able for such hikes, there are a number of 10 mile sections in Georgia where you can take the trail a day at a time--and park a car to take you back to society.

Nobo. I'm doing a thru hike, Springer to Katahdin. Today is day #70.

Wow, you started really early. Have many freezing/snow covered nights in the beginning?

Good luck to you. I was planning to section hike the AT but I broke my hip then needed a total hip replacement a year later so it's not an option anymore.

Good luck! Last year DW and I started doing portions of the nearby sectional trail hikes, ones as we can drive to in under a few hours. Once her teaching term is finished we will get back to that.

Thanks for the heads up.

Doing the AT was a dream of mine, but health issues got in the way. I’ll definitely subscribe and cheer you on though. Good luck! :)

On a related note, have you read any of the AT “memoirs”? I enjoyed “Grandma Gatewood’s Walk” and “AWOL on the Appalachian Trail”.

Good luck! My colleague at the office has a daughter northbound on the trail. Every day, I get updates on her progress. She is currently near Blacksburg, VA.

Best of luck. Have also subscribed.

When I was younger, I had a fantasy about thru hiking the AT. These days, the fantasy has shifted to the CDT.

The reality is day hikes, lol.

Thanks for the heads up. My DH and I watched a few youtube videos together and I have subscribed also.

You have inspired me to do some lunges, dancing, weights and walking with you while watching your videos.

Love your music and I agree that the 70's were the best decade for music.

Good luck and thanks for the vlogs. I am really enjoying them.

My son did the whole trail a few years ago. I was terrified when he started, but it was truly a life altering adventure for him. Sort of "if I can do that, I can do anything..." revelation.

I'll follow your journey - thanks for letting us know.

@RunningBum, are you on the trail?
No, I just live nearby. I maintain the 1.1 miles from Dripping Rock (Blue Ridge Parkway crossing) north to the intersection with a blue blazed trail into a day campground. About 14 miles south of SNP on the trail. I'm guessing since you are posting often today you may be in Waynesboro? I just came from there, grocery run after a doctor visit. Too bad I missed you.

No, I just live nearby. I maintain the 1.1 miles from Dripping Rock (Blue Ridge Parkway crossing) north to the intersection with a blue blazed trail into a day campground. About 14 miles south of SNP on the trail. I'm guessing since you are posting often today you may be in Waynesboro? I just came from there, grocery run after a doctor visit. Too bad I missed you.
I passed Dripping Rock today. There was some trail magic just up the hill from the road crossing. I'll be in Waynesboro tomorrow.

Beautiful! Keep us informed on your journey.

You aren't John Schnatter are you? Lol
Not Schnatter but I do make a lot of homemade pizza and I use their dough recipe. [emoji3]

Will follow along ikubak. Happy trails. Go get Katahdin! Enjoy the PUDS.

Back
Top Bottom