Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-15-2015, 03:05 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Shoes matter too. My experience is with running, but I think a lot of it holds true for walking too. The wrong shoes can cause problems throughout the body, not just the feet. Likewise for a worn out shoe.

If you pronate, you need a different shoe than if you don't. A good shoe store, likely a running shoe store that also services walkers, should be able to tell. If they don't watch you walk or look at the wear on the bottom of your shoes, leave the store because they aren't helping you. You can also find resources on the web to help you determine the right shoe based on tread wear.

If you've got a shoe that has worked in the past, I'd stick with the model, but replace it periodically. For runners the rule of thumb is 500 miles. Not sure if that holds for walkers since you aren't stressing them as much, but the cushioning does break down over time and distance. It happens gradually so it can be tough to tell, but if you start to notice more aches and pains, it may be time. When you do put on new ones, it can feel a lot better.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2015, 03:34 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
If you've got a shoe that has worked in the past, I'd stick with the model, but replace it periodically. For runners the rule of thumb is 500 miles. Not sure if that holds for walkers since you aren't stressing them as much, but the cushioning does break down over time and distance. It happens gradually so it can be tough to tell, but if you start to notice more aches and pains, it may be time. When you do put on new ones, it can feel a lot better.
I have a little trick (or I'm a cheapskate, take your pick) for checking how my athletic shoes are holding up - I simply keep the old pair around and wear it for mowing the lawn. As the "new pair" begins to fell more like the "old pair" I know that it is time to start looking. Still subjective, but I at least have some kind of reference at hand.
jjquantz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 04:00 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

I travelled quite a bit in my 30's and 40's and was in good enough health to enjoy every activity. At 55 I'm struggling with diabetes and fatigue and am working on becoming a healthier me. I want to travel again but not until my energy level recoups. At times I am exhausted just getting up and walking a few steps. Other times I am raring to go. When I a raring to go more often than not, I will be back traveling.

What makes it harder for me are having animals. The cost of boarding adds a whole other budget to my travels!
LinCella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 04:09 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Good point about the shoes! We both agreed we should have brought two pair and alternated. But we pack so light, we didn't.

Audrey

My grandmother had that. My sister who is one year older also had the same slightly high TSH level. We wondered if we were getting what my grandmother had? My mom had two auto-immune diseases as well.

I still feel a little punky - but I think that is mainly due to still adjusting to the time difference. I am waking super early 5:30.....
BellBarbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 04:12 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Oooh, I love the idea of the Boston-Iceland-Edinburgh type trip.

Also, have to say, DH pushes too hard sometimes when if we got up a little later, we might have felt better. this is his nature - ask me how he tried to kill me hiking the White mountains while we were dating.
Old 04-15-2015, 04:13 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinCella View Post

What makes it harder for me are having animals. The cost of boarding adds a whole other budget to my travels!
Ugh - yes, this is us. We have a dog sitter come to the house $50 a day - she house sits as well. So expensive. This is the last dog for that reason - he is 11 so he will not be around that much longer.
Old 04-15-2015, 04:20 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

BellBarbara,

Exactly! I also have two cats so at the boarding place that makes it $100 a day. And the dog needs meds, which costs extra. I will consider a house/pet sitter in the future when I move to a bigger place but I hardly trust anyone with my babies!
Old 04-15-2015, 05:20 PM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinCella View Post
BellBarbara,

Exactly! I also have two cats so at the boarding place that makes it $100 a day. And the dog needs meds, which costs extra. I will consider a house/pet sitter in the future when I move to a bigger place but I hardly trust anyone with my babies!
Wow. We take our two cats to Pet Suites (I think it's a chain?) and it's $25 for the two staying on one "cat condo." It's $17 for one cat. Each condo looks out a window to a bird feeder (or an aquarium) to entertain the cats.

Maybe this is another case of some things are cheaper here in flyover country?
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 05:27 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

We take two big trips a year. One will usually be an inexpensive cruise. The other will be to Europe every other year. And we swap off with a big North American trip.

We've seen person after person go down shortly after retiring with bad backs, bad hearts or cancer.

If God's given you certain physical gifts, you may can travel heavily into your 80's. Many others won't make 70. My parents traveled heavily to their late 70's.

You've got to get it in this world while you can. What makes life interesting is having something to look forward to. And I'm traveling in my mind constantly to far away places. The internet is great for mind travel--and planning.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 05:30 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

mpierce:

My two cats can't share a condo - otherwise there would only be one cat standing by the time I got back from vacation! So it's $25 per cat, unfortunately. EVERYTHING IS cheaper in flyover country.
Old 04-15-2015, 05:32 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Bamaman,

I love the idea of two big trips a year and Europe every other. That will be my new plan as soon as I get my budget in gear!
Old 04-15-2015, 06:22 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Unfortunately, while I like walking around cities on trips, I don't like walking for exercise. I need to find some way to change that mind set since I believe walking is probably the most useful exercise for fighting back age related decline.
Owning a big dog (yellow lab) has really motivated me to walk every day. He needs to get out and walk, and if we don't get out now for some reason, I feel guilty, so we almost always go (twice daily), regardless of weather. It's good for him, and it's good for me. As I approach 60, I also need to do some other exercises to stay in decent shape, so I do daily chin-ups, squats, and some plank-type back exercises. None of this takes a lot of time, and I look at it as something I need to do to remain fit and able to do the other things I enjoy doing for the next couple decades or so (hopefully). I know that I am in better shape now than when I retired 5+ years ago, and that also motivates me to keep doing these things as long as I can.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 12:14 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

I find it interesting that as Americans, we have to make time to do stuff like walk. We walk our 2 dogs most every day, I started playing golf again, carrying my bag & using the Wii Fit. My wife takes exercise classes, lifts weights & yoga. I'm 62 & haven't noticed a big change yet; I've heard from people that there's a big change when you reach 70.

Have traveled to countries in Asia and often & you have to walk. In Japan, your car garage could be located a block away from your house, and you still probably need to walk to the train station. If you go shopping, you have to pay for parking - rarely free, and traffic could be so bad you don't want to drive. In Singapore, cars are very expensive, so most everyone rides the mass transit, and you have to walk to the station. On Guadalcanal, only the rich have cars, so it's the bus or foot mobile.
ampeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 05:53 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Hooray for medical science... Best wishes!

As we close in on age 80, yup... slowing down.. It happened slowly and is not at all unpleasant. Just a matter of naturally adjusting to the frailities of age, and very aware that almost anything can suddenly change.
Medical science isn't there yet. I have feeling it will take a couple of decades for them to have figured out definitively how to arrest or reverse the disease. In the meantime I have to learn as much as I can to treat myself.

That's what I have observed - the "real" slowing down for many folks seems to coincide with approaching 80. That's when many RVers hang it up - just one example among many.

So I didn't want folks to write things off too soon!

Although clearly it becomes more critical to stay active if you want to enjoy active vacations.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:41 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
One thing to think about is hills. It is quite different to walk around on the flat vs. going up and down good hills.
This is so true. I live in a subdivision with a lot of hills. They aren't super high but there isn't much that is flat. You are usually going up or down a little bit and there are several larger hills whenever DH and I go for a walk. I don't really think about them that much as increasing the level of exertion. But, the other day I was out at midday at a mall and decided to spend 20 minutes just walking through the mall at the not terribly fast pace we walk in our neighborhood. I was shocked by how easy it was. It felt like I was doing nothing, while a walk in our neighborhood is a nice workout.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 11:50 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Kayaker View Post
I am doing whatever I can to stave off this "slowing down".

The day after I walked off the job I have made it priority #1 to become as fit as possible. I am finding the ceiling a bit lower than it was in my 20's and 30's of course...but I am determined to become as fit as my 40-something self can be so that I can enjoy my lengthy retirement to it's fullest extent. I am going to make these early retirement years count...
Yes, this is what I have done -- retired at 41 now age 49. Exercise has been one of several core pursuits since retirement.

Many people have not run as fast as they can or jumped as high as they can for years. I try to do it at least once a week.

I don't think just walking is enough to be in good shape. You need to do a fair amount of vigorous exercise several times per week. Also, my approach has been to do both aerobic exercise and resistance exercises.
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs up
Old 04-16-2015, 11:56 AM   #57
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Shoes matter too.
If you pronate, you need a different shoe than if you don't. A good shoe store, likely a running shoe store that also services walkers, should be able to tell. If they don't watch you walk or look at the wear on the bottom of your shoes, leave the store because they aren't helping you. You can also find resources on the web to help you determine the right shoe based on tread wear.
Thank you for sharing that advice. I'll never buy a walking shoe off the rack again. And thanks for the new word in my vocabulary (pronate).

_B
Beldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 12:10 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampeep View Post
I find it interesting that as Americans, we have to make time to do stuff like walk.
It's not as Americans, it is as suburban and rural dwellers.

If you don't wish to drive or ride everywhere, you have to live where walking and busses and trains are adequate for most local travel.

And for occasional rides, Uber or a taxi is far cheaper than owning a car.

Ha
Old 04-16-2015, 12:39 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

I cannot walk on hard surfaces because of a mild case of plantar fasciitis. I wear arch inserts in all of my shoes and boots, so that keeps it at bay.

My yard is 100' wide x 400' long. I can walk back and forth on the soft grass with no problems. In the course of getting things done in the yard, I get a lot of walking in, pushing a wheelbarrow or using my golf bag wheeled carrier or light duty hand truck for heavier things.

During the winter, I am constantly dancing and working out with a two handled resistance band (purple color) and light weight hand barbells. I am also shoveling medium amounts of snow on an almost daily basis. So I maintain muscle tone from head to toe.

I can no longer do hand intense type of activities because of carpal tunnel and chronic tendinitis. But I find my own ways to compensate for not being able to play sports or do traditional exercise machines.

Bottom line...move it or lose it !

Old 04-16-2015, 12:44 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellBarbara View Post
Great to see everyone's comments. We would consider ourselves active, but we don't do a ton of aerobic exercise. We ride bikes (some trips as long as 14 miles), walk several miles at a time, kayak often, sometimes row and use the elliptical...We do lots of hard yard work (right now we are setting large natural stones into grass that weigh 75-100lbs each) and such. All of our own DIY.

We just felt more tired and sore at the end of the day of long walking (anywhere from 6-10 miles) than we remember in Italy 2 years ago. We also noticed this when doing these large yard projects - a few years ago we would work for 4-5 hours. Now we will work for 2-3.

Another point is Spain has pretty much all hard surfaces - stone, rocks, cobblestones, etc. I can't remember stepping on a soft surface once. When we walk here it's on softer surfaces like compressed dirt paths. DH has always had a questionable bad lower back and it was sore. We took advil!

Overall I am not really worried, I just sort of feel a little tinge of sadness that we would spend hours out (maybe until 2 or 3) and just be too tired to go back out again. Does that make sense?

Also, I think I will push DH to do these bigger trips earlier. At least the ones that would include hiking - like NZ. Save the cruising for later. ha!

I am a bit confused. Initially when I read your original post I just thought you were just out of shape but now you say you are very active. Why do you explain the weight loss of 5 lbs? Very curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote