Join Early Retirement Today

Asheville, NC - a gem
Old 07-21-2009, 06:12 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Asheville, NC - a gem

We're in the the mountains this week in Asheville, NC. I had gone on world class motorcycle rides near here, but never explored Asheville itself.

What a great town. Scenery is drop-dead gorgeous. The town is small but with very well preserved older buildings, lots of thriving shops, restaurants, and very few of the chain type stuff. Hilly terrain, mountains on all sides. As a regional center it seems to have all kinds of cultural events all summer long, and a diverse community. The weather is also great - kind of a Mediterranean patter depending on your altitude.

We've been touring, hiking, eating, relaxing in a campground 12 minutes from downtown with a mountaintop view. Trout fishing is big here, as are biking, birding, golf, and running. I can get used to this.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2009, 06:46 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
We're in the the mountains this week in Asheville, NC. I had gone on world class motorcycle rides near here, but never explored Asheville itself.

What a great town. Scenery is drop-dead gorgeous. The town is small but with very well preserved older buildings, lots of thriving shops, restaurants, and very few of the chain type stuff. Hilly terrain, mountains on all sides. As a regional center it seems to have all kinds of cultural events all summer long, and a diverse community. The weather is also great - kind of a Mediterranean patter depending on your altitude.

We've been touring, hiking, eating, relaxing in a campground 12 minutes from downtown with a mountaintop view. Trout fishing is big here, as are biking, birding, golf, and running. I can get used to this.
Don't forget to do the Biltmore Mansion.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:10 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Asheville is supposed to be fabulous for active retirees--besides the Blue Ridge Mountains and Biltmore and arts and history, it has an outstanding ready-made network of activities and acquaintances in the

North Carolina Center for Creative Retirement (NCCCR)

which is part of the University of North Carolina/Asheville system:

Quote:
The North Carolina Center for Creative Retirement (NCCCR) is an award-winning, internationally-acclaimed learning community dedicated to promoting lifelong learning, leadership, community service, and research.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:54 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Asheville is an area we looked into when I set my hoped-for retirement date. I have a brother in the Brevard area, not far from Asheville, and was very impressed with the scenery when I visited him. As for Asheville itself, everything Rich says, rings true with me. Johnnie, the Biltmore mansion is quite an experience - the closest I can think of, is Versailles.
I started corresponding with a real estate agent in the Asheville area, who was lovely to work with. She sent tons of listings, but unfortunately she could not find anything in our price range that came close to meeting our needs. You pay dearly for those mountain views; often, your main view is of all the other homes all around you.
I would love to hear a different, more positive real estate experience from others.