Join Early Retirement Today

Atlantic Inter-Coastal Waterway (ICW)
Old 05-14-2015, 09:41 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Atlantic Inter-Coastal Waterway (ICW)

Has anyone navigated the entire ICW ? How long did it take you ? Any issues out of the ordinary ? I was planning 5 weeks to do it. Any first hand experiences would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Pastorm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2015, 10:18 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Love to hear about this! One of my post retirement bucket lists is to do the great loop!
ArkTinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 04:33 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Not the entire length, but we went from Fort Stewart, FL to Moorehead City, NC in 2012. We took about 3 weeks but we weren't in a hurry, doing about 50 miles a day, anchoring mostly, and parking in a marina and exploring when we got to an interesting town.

My favorite spot was probably the very remote swamps of Georgia because of the solitude we experienced and stunning beauty.

Check Active Captain each morning before setting out and mark any potential shoaling or other hazards. Keep a flip chart on your lap for reference, don't rely on just the GPS screen, and honor the channel markers over the GPS magenta line.

Also beware that the ICW traffic can get halted for many hours in spots around military bases when exercises are taking place. This happened to us and we almost missed the high tide we needed to get over a shoal!

PM me if you gave any specific questions.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
AnIntentionalRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 07:53 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We see many Loopers coming by our house on the way to the Great Loop meeting at Joe Wheeler State Park Marina on the Tennessee River.

It look as if the 5000 mile loop around the Eastern U.S. would be an absolute ball--if one had the right vessel to do it in.

There are many Looper bloggers that cover the Eastern ICW.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 02:23 AM   #5
Confused about dryer sheets

Go to u-tube and search for " Drake Paragon sailing "! Drake & his friends take the ICW from Oriental SC(?) to Norfolk & then on to Boston in a series of short films! The last I saw of them they had carried on to Canada, Greenland, Iceland & the Faroe Islands headed for Ireland! ;-) Or if you get tired of that there's always " Delos" sailing the Pacifc From New Zealand into the Philipines just cruising ,diving & making they're own liqour when they ran out! I found it to be entertaining.
I don't know if it's still done but, when I traveled the ICW the mayor of Summerstown would throw a wine & cheese party when three or more boats tied up for the night! Good fun 😎

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
juan_grand_eh is offline   Reply With Quote