Join Early Retirement Today

Australia/New Zealand advice wanted
Old 04-21-2019, 09:53 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Australia/New Zealand advice wanted

Anyone out there have any experience with the following tour companies for Australia & New Zealand tours:
Tauck
Kensington
Trafalgar
Abercrombie & Kent
We enjoy being pampered!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2019, 10:49 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We just got back from several weeks in Australia. With the exception of driving on the "wrong side" of the road, it is no more complicated to see what you want on your own than if you were traveling in the US and a whole lot cheaper with strong US $ (1A$=.72-3 US$). For special sites where a guide would add value, shop the viator and like tours.
Not only does everyone speak English, the locals are probably the easiest bunch of folks in the world to be around. Tipping is limited and many places not used. If it wasn't for the extraordinary amount of time/$ it takes to get there, we would go more often. If you can swing it, plan to go as long as you can as Australia alone is an enormous country with big stretches of nothing between many cities. Be sure to include at least a week in Tasmania.
With that said, folks we met on other Tauck tours rave about their Australia trip which includes charter flights to cut down logistics complications..
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 11:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rodent View Post
Anyone out there have any experience with the following tour companies for Australia & New Zealand tours:
Tauck
Kensington
Trafalgar
Abercrombie & Kent
We enjoy being pampered!
Having taken East Coast and Western Canadian tours with Tauck, I would recommend them highly. They put you up in nice hotels, and dinners are usually choice of menu.
I have traveled with other tour groups, and do not enjoy group dinners, which are banquet style.
I have attached a copy of our trip story
Attached Files
File Type: pdf WONDER DOWN UNDER 2010.pdf (1.22 MB, 37 views)
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 11:43 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Me, (although the last time I was there was 1966), I'd choose a starting city, nose around, grab a plane/train*, then go somewhere else....rinse & repeat.

It ain't Kazakhstan.

* https://www.railmaps.com.au/

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 11:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Me, (although the last time I was there was 1966), I'd choose a starting city, nose around, grab a plane/train*, then go somewhere else....rinse & repeat.
It ain't Kazakhstan.
* https://www.railmaps.com.au/

One thing we have done, is to look at the itineraries of the tours, the hotels they stay in, etc.
Then plan a DIY trip at your own pace. We have done it in Switzerland and in New Mexico.
Old 04-21-2019, 03:45 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Souschef I really enjoyed your travelogue of New Zealand and Australia. Thanks for sharing. Glad you included pictures of yourself and wife. Nice to see what fellow members look like. Must have been a wonderful trip.
Idnar7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 05:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
One thing we have done, is to look at the itineraries of the tours, the hotels they stay in, etc.
Then plan a DIY trip at your own pace. We have done it in Switzerland and in New Mexico.
Thanks for sharing your trip report!

We have done both organized tours and DIY trips. They are very different experiences and we have enjoyed both types.

We returned just one month ago from 4 weeks in Australia and New Zealand. After researching tours and cruises, we decided we had to DIY because neither the tours nor cruises hit the right combination of cities and sights within our available time frame.

DIY trips to both Australia and New Zealand are relatively easy to DIY for US residents since they are English-speaking. We intended to rely on public transportation, but ended up renting cars twice for last-minute day trips.
Lewis Clark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 11:20 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
Having taken East Coast and Western Canadian tours with Tauck, I would recommend them highly. They put you up in nice hotels, and dinners are usually choice of menu.
I have traveled with other tour groups, and do not enjoy group dinners, which are banquet style.
I have attached a copy of our trip story
I really enjoyed reading of your trip in 2010, and was wondering what month did you go, as I didn't see that in the write up.
Just wondering about the weather.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsteve View Post
Australia alone is an enormous country with big stretches of nothing between many cities.

Australia: Size of the USA, with 25 million people. New Zealand is about the size of Colorado, with about 5 million.

Luxury travel here is best characterized by private chartered planes to cut down on travel times.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 07:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I really enjoyed reading of your trip in 2010, and was wondering what month did you go, as I didn't see that in the write up.
Just wondering about the weather.
We went in January, which is the equivalent of July there