Join Early Retirement Today

Cool Back from Macho Picchu and the Galapagos Islands
Old 02-01-2009, 10:38 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Cool Back from Macho Picchu and the Galapagos Islands

Had a wonderful time and took over 1,000 photos. Several friends have asked us to share them. Does anyone know of a photo-sharing site that would be appropriate for an upload of that size?

FYI, these places are for the sure-footed. Several retirees in our group commented that they wouldn't want to have attempted this any later in their life.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2009, 12:49 PM   #2

Photobucket says you can store "thousands of photos" with a free account. I think the limit is 1 GB of storage.

Can't wait to hear more about your trip, and hopefully see your photos! It's a trip I would like to make someday.

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 01:05 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like a fantastic trip.

DW uses shutterfly for our photos.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 01:15 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
Had a wonderful time and took over 1,000 photos. Several friends have asked us to share them. Does anyone know of a photo-sharing site that would be appropriate for an upload of that size?

FYI, these places are for the sure-footed. Several retirees in our group commented that they wouldn't want to have attempted this any later in their life.
Resize them for the web before you upload (72dpi, scale down the size if the images are 22 inches wide or something). Galapagos is great.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:10 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Husband is sifting through the collection, starting with Peru. I am not peeking over his shoulder because I have the right to nix any I don't think are for public consumption (like photos of me). Several in our group gave copies to one photo fan and he passed back the good ones (not everyone had the best angle). Many of the pics are ours and the shots are, honestly, stunning. My guess is that the un-edited collection is about 3gb and that is after the photo size was reduced.

I think I shall establish a couple of accounts to break them up into digestible groups.

If any of you can go to Galapagos do so sooner rather than later. They plan to limit group sizes to 16 next year and all must have a park licenced naturalist watching over. Some tourists are 'casual' about their responsibility to maintain the pristine setting. We weren't impressed with the snorkeling, but then we have snorkeled in some fish rich areas in the past.

Capacity at Macho Picchu appears to be controlled by the train capacity (the only way in or out short of rugged and capacity controlled hiking). Interesting that some in Peru give all credit to the Incas for the construction notwithstanding the fact that they say that the Incas arrived only a couple hundred years before the Spanish.

We went via Elderhostel and the supporting informational programs were fantastic. Interestingly, the Peruvian Andians rarely ate meat but had a diet with complete proteins. There is an agronomist who is cultivating native edible plants. One of the plants is a sweet tuber whose sugars are not metabolized... safe for diabetics.

Skip Lima, head straight to Cusco.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:45 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Smugmug costs money, but not a bunch - worth checking - very beautiful.

Smugmug Photo Hosting and Photo Sharing - Photo Hosting and Photo Sharing Site

i use photobucket, but don't have the need for my pics to be of the very highest quality or most rapid upload. Could be Smugmug is better at that.

$40, $60, or $150/year

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/photo-sharing-features/
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 06:58 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
Interesting that some in Peru give all credit to the Incas for the construction notwithstanding the fact that they say that the Incas arrived only a couple hundred years before the Spanish.

We went via Elderhostel and the supporting informational programs were fantastic. Interestingly, the Peruvian Andians rarely ate meat but had a diet with complete proteins. There is an agronomist who is cultivating native edible plants. One of the plants is a sweet tuber whose sugars are not metabolized... safe for diabetics.

Skip Lima, head straight to Cusco.
We went with OAT, 2 years ago and took the Lake Titicaca extension -- highly recommended. I agree that Lima is not a highlight of a trip to Peru, however, unless you live at altitude a couple days at sea level for recovery from the long flight is a good thing. We spent a few days in the Sacred Valley, lower altitude than Cusco, then went to Machu Picchu and then Cusco.

My understanding is that the Incas ruled for approximately 100 years. However, they were simply the final phase of an Andean culture that evolved over 1000 year period.
prubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:07 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I use picasaweb for my photos--took at least a 1000 in Mongolia and weeded it down to about 450 on picasaweb. I have 25 albums on there now and still haven't hit capacity for the free account.
Hope you'll share a greatest hits collection. Machu Picchu is on my list for sure!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:02 AM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Glad you had a great trip, Brat! I went there with OAT in 2008. I still think about snorkeling in the Galapagos. I am a huge snorkeling fan and this was my all time favorite experience. Snorkeling with penguins! Where else? Lots of schools of fish but not tropical. The sea lions swim with you too. I really want to return.

I loved the small ship experience too, waking up every morning to a different beautiful view. Sleeping on the gently rocking ship. Loved it!

Going to Machu Picchu was a dream come true as well. In Jan there were few tourists at the ruins but we had some rain. It was a trade off. A good one IMHO.
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:56 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I find we have over 2,000 photos between us, it is taking time to distill them to a managable collection. The process should be finished soon.

I agree about the small boat experiance. We were on the Coral II.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:37 AM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I uploaded some pictures from my Peru trip in an album on this site. Just click on my name and go to machu picchu album. Enjoy!
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe View Post
I uploaded some pictures from my Peru trip in an album on this site. Just click on my name and go to machu picchu album. Enjoy!

Those are great pics! Thanks for sharing, makes me wanna go someday!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote