Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-19-2015, 10:13 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

^ Interesting on San Chapelle being crowded. Went twice 10 years apart & walked right in both times. I liked the Rodin garden with outdoor sculptures better than the indoor museum. That is being renovated too?

As for WWII, perhaps your father/father-in-law weren't there first-hand.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2015, 10:20 PM   #62

You have to wait in line to go through a metal detector so the line moves slowly. Plus it's a small venue so may limit the number of people allowed in. It's part of a court complex so that is why there's a metal detector and there isn't a short line for people with the museum pass.

Most of the garden was open at the Rodin Museum, maybe some sections cordoned off. But the main building seemed to have work being done. I didn't go in at all this time.

Nope, no relatives in WWII. But France has so many other areas of interests for people, like art, wine, food, architecture, natural beauty, etc.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:06 PM   #63
Full time employment: Posting here.

Some other favorites....

Pere LaChaise Cemetery-- seeing the graves of Edith Piaf, Moliere, Oscar Wilde, Jim Morrison, Chopin.........plus the wall where the Communards were massacred in 1871.

Victor Hugo's House at Place De Voges (sp.?).

Catching some rays in the lounge chairs in Jardin de Luxembourg and the Tuileries.

Standing under L'Arc de Triomphe, reading the names of battles won by the French, and seeing the tomb to the Unknown Soldier (WWI) and a memorial to those who lost their lives fighting in the Resistance (WWII).

Showing up in time for the free organ concert that immediately follows mass each Sunday at San Sulpice.

Taking the train out to Villandry, to see the amazing gardens
Old 07-21-2015, 04:34 AM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
The places you mention ex-WWII sites are all very nice & worth 3-5 days. Driving is good, easy. The Brittany walled town of Dinan is quite nice also. Not sure why you're not interested in the WWII sites, but the US Cemetery there is as moving as it gets for me.
Thanks. I'm sure we would give it a week - including revisiting Monet's Gardens.

Just not interested in the modern wars, and that includes the US Civil War. Got enough in high school and college I guess. I prefer the older history.
Old 07-21-2015, 04:39 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LitGal View Post

Taking the train out to Villandry, to see the amazing gardens
Villandry was great. Didn't know it was an easy train day trip from Paris. That would definitely qualify as a chateau visit if someone wanted to visit one.
Old 07-21-2015, 03:11 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Villandry was great. Didn't know it was an easy train day trip from Paris. That would definitely qualify as a chateau visit if someone wanted to visit one.

Yes, and my visit there with a friend turned into another form of European "adventure." As a landscape designer, she would spend HOURS in every garden we visited, so I would head off to find some shade with my book.

Little did I know that-- when she stepped off the footpath to take some specific photos-- she slipped and cut her head open.

So that's when we were introduced to "Ambulances in France, The ER in Tours, and Socialized Medicine 101." Though concerning at the time (with her 9 stitches, blood-soaked clothes, and the fact this was a day trip. ie. no suitcases or changes of clothes available), we look back on it and laugh. We used every scrap of high school French we could muster........and everybody was very kind.

Her bill for the 24-hour ER visit? $1800. And her ins. back home covered it.
(But the place was ugly and worn; and the food was AWFUL. US hospital food seems gourmet, in comparison.)

Old 07-21-2015, 07:35 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Good grief!
Old 07-21-2015, 08:21 PM   #68

She and I simply file this under Unique Travel Experiences, aka "You Can't Make This Stuff Up."

Old 07-21-2015, 08:36 PM   #69

Anecdotes I hear about Americans using the health care system in Europe is how cheap it was.

Maybe that was back in the day.

However, an emergency room visit in the US without insurance could be 10 times that.
Old 07-21-2015, 08:58 PM   #70

When trying to track my friend's progress at the hospital in Tours, it seemed that the health care was "you get what you pay for."

"Food" = a tiny carton of plain yogurt and a tiny carton of applesauce. Other patients had family bringing in meals for them.

The place looked like a stark industrial building from the early 1960's. Walls needed paint and the plumbing was exposed and banged up. Bloody towels and bandages were left lying around on the floor. (Only in my friend's room. I didn't see that elsewhere.)

When the owner of Villandry called the ambulance, he said to me, "Now you will see why Americans like our healthcare system. It's all free!"

And the ambulance ride was free. All the medics did was cover her head with bandages.

When Cathy returned to her doctor, after her return to the US, he took one look at her stitches and the Tours doctors' reports. Then he told her she had received medical help current in the US about 30 years ago.

But she healed and is doing fine. And she's now convinced to buy travel insurance next time!
Old 07-21-2015, 09:37 PM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

In 2000, I accompanied a friend to see a doctor in Paris. My friend needed to have some stitches removed following an accident which happened shortly before we left for France. We got the doctor's name from our hotel and we didn't have an appointment. No one else worked in the office; no receptionist, no nurse, no "billing department"; just the doctor. When we saw the doctor, I explained in French why we were there. The doctor removed the stitches, told my friend his injury was healing properly, then scribbled something on a piece of paper and handed the bill to my friend, who paid the doctor directly in cash. I think it was about $20.

Two years ago, I helped a French woman clear up some issues with her bill for an emergency room visit in the USA following a fall. She had travel health insurance, but needed some clarification from the hospital's billing department to get reimbursed. Her visit cost about $2,350. She was ultimately reimbursed in full.

Adam Gopnik had a wonderful article in The New Yorker years ago about his wife's experience giving birth in a French hospital compared to the same experience in the USA. The article's title was "Like a King", which gives an idea about how well pregnancy and birth are handled in France. I believe the article became a chapter in Gopnik's wonderful book, Paris to the Moon.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:58 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
You have to wait in line to go through a metal detector so the line moves slowly. Plus it's a small venue so may limit the number of people allowed in. It's part of a court complex so that is why there's a metal detector and there isn't a short line for people with the museum pass.

Most of the garden was open at the Rodin Museum, maybe some sections cordoned off. But the main building seemed to have work being done. I didn't go in at all this time.

Nope, no relatives in WWII. But France has so many other areas of interests for people, like art, wine, food, architecture, natural beauty, etc.
In Paris now. St Chappelle wasn't crowded when we went this past Sunday... But we were there around 9:30 am. Went to the Rodin museum yesterday... There is still construction but the garden was very nice.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:52 PM   #73

On a nice sunny day, you could see the Invalides dome gleaming from the Rodin Museum gardens.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:16 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LitGal View Post
When Cathy returned to her doctor, after her return to the US, he took one look at her stitches and the Tours doctors' reports. Then he told her she had received medical help current in the US about 30 years ago.

But she healed and is doing fine. And she's now convinced to buy travel insurance next time!
Cuts on the scalp heal today very much like they did 30 years ago.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:18 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by anethum View Post
In 2000, I accompanied a friend to see a doctor in Paris. My friend needed to have some stitches removed following an accident which happened shortly before we left for France. We got the doctor's name from our hotel and we didn't have an appointment. No one else worked in the office; no receptionist, no nurse, no "billing department"; just the doctor. When we saw the doctor, I explained in French why we were there. The doctor removed the stitches, told my friend his injury was healing properly, then scribbled something on a piece of paper and handed the bill to my friend, who paid the doctor directly in cash. I think it was about $20.
$20 is highway robbery for removing stitches.
The fee reflected the assessment for complications such as infection.
Old 07-29-2015, 06:43 PM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
$20 is highway robbery for removing stitches.
The fee reflected the assessment for complications such as infection.
Not in the USA!

My friend was concerned that there might be an infection, and I specifically asked the doctor about that, so you're absolutely correct. The doctor assured my friend that the color which had concerned my friend, was perfectly normal, and that everything was healing properly.

The thing which was amusing was that up until the very end of the consultation, I had been translating English->French and French->English for both my friend and the French doctor. Then, the last couple of sentences out of the doctor's mouth were spoken in decent English directly to my friend. I never had asked him if he spoke English, and I suspect he found our visit somewhat amusing. Anyway, my French is quite good so I was happy to translate.