Join Early Retirement Today

Bad news for America travelers
Old 02-05-2009, 07:10 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Bad news for America travelers

Hackers Clone E-Passports

I tend to be a pessimist/realist about technology issues, especially when implemented by the gov't. There was never any question that the tech would be obsolete before they even started using it. However, I never even thought about the bad guys using the RFID signature to allow IEDs to detect when an American is walking by in order to target us.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2009, 09:55 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

They really need to turn to the ISO 14443 standard so your passport can only be read from 4 - 6 inches so that you're not a walking IED detonator.

According to the article, the data on the RFID e-passport are not encrypted, so that German hacker didn't do anything amazing.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:09 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I may be paranoid, but it doesn't seem excessive to carry anything containing an RFID chip in a foil bag.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:11 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Well... RFIDs are not indestructible. If you're really worried, do a decent bending/folding/crumpling exercise on your passport. The passport will remain valid even with a no longer functioning RFID.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by figner View Post
I may be paranoid, but it doesn't seem excessive to carry anything containing an RFID chip in a foil bag.
Like under my hat?
Old 02-06-2009, 10:31 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
Like under my hat?
Perfect.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:19 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I wonder how much the military version of "stick a bunch of passports on the end of a few broomsticks ducktaped together and attach that to the front of your vehicle" would cost to implement in the field as a counter-IED measure? Anyone have DARPA's phone number handy? I'm guessing a million or two per implementation at least.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm View Post
They really need to turn to the ISO 14443 standard so your passport can only be read from 4 - 6 inches so that you're not a walking IED detonator.

According to the article, the data on the RFID e-passport are not encrypted, so that German hacker didn't do anything amazing.
When we renewed our British passports a year ago we also bought a couple of protective sleeves to carry them in. This blocks the RFID from the passport chip. Cheap enough solution as it was already well known that forgers were able to easily read the id's from passers by and reproduce them to add to forged passports.

This is the first I have heard of IED's being triggered by them and it seems a bit far fetched as terrorists usually go for much softer targets.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:46 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

The IED thing was just a proof of concept test, especially since they haven't even started distributing the RFID passports yet. And the passport covers are supposed to have metal threads woven in to protect against them being read, but even open half an inch (ie. loose in your backpack) was enough for him to read. Another point was using other RFID tags in the passport to fool a computerized check, although not a visual one. I think his main point is why spend these huge amounts of money on tech that isn't going to accomplish it's goal? But this is the gov't we're dealing with. IMHO the RFIDs make a lot more sense than taking off my shoes in the airport.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Another point was using other RFID tags in the passport to fool a computerized check, although not a visual one. I think his main point is why spend these huge amounts of money on tech that isn't going to accomplish it's goal? But this is the gov't we're dealing with. IMHO the RFIDs make a lot more sense than taking off my shoes in the airport.
I couldn't agree more. Our new British passports cost a lot more to pay for the new technology plus another $20 for the protective cover to stop criminals reading the unencrypted signal.

We renewed our US passports a few months ago so at least we avoid the RFID tags for a few more years.
Old 02-07-2009, 06:46 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
IMHO the RFIDs make a lot more sense than taking off my shoes in the airport.
This really annoys me. Some version of psuedo security. I presume they are checking everyone's shoes due to the goofball that tried to have a bomb in his shoes and (unsuccessfully) detonate it.

So if this makes sense, if some bomber sews a bomb into his pants, will they make everyone drop their drawers?

"It is only possible to live happily ever after on a day-to-day basis” Margaret Bonnano
gandalf42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:04 AM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
The IED thing was just a proof of concept test, especially since they haven't even started distributing the RFID passports yet...
I received a new US passport last summer and it does have the RFID logo on the cover.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:34 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantlogin View Post
I received a new US passport last summer and it does have the RFID logo on the cover.
I guess I was wrong. Unless, of course, they just put the logo on the cover. Sort of like having the signs for an alarm system, but no system.

If you do have the RFID, just make sure to keep the cover closed tight while vacationing in the Al-Anbar province.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:53 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantlogin View Post
DW and I got ours in October and December and no RFID - I wonder if it depends on which office issues the Passport
Old 02-07-2009, 11:04 AM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
DW and I got ours in October and December and no RFID - I wonder if it depends on which office issues the Passport
I guess I got cheated again. Bummer.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:54 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
This is the first I have heard of IED's being triggered by them and it seems a bit far fetched as terrorists usually go for much softer targets.
I may have buns of steel, but the general area of my back pocket is still a comparatively soft target.

I tend to view RFID, etc., as theater rather than security. I'd rather have someone actually look at faces and photos, etc., than at a computer screen.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:57 PM   #17

Quote:
The IED thing was just a proof of concept test, especially since they haven't even started distributing the RFID passports yet. And the passport covers are supposed to have metal threads woven in to protect against them being read, but even open half an inch (ie. loose in your backpack) was enough for him to read. Another point was using other RFID tags in the passport to fool a computerized check, although not a visual one. I think his main point is why spend these huge amounts of money on tech that isn't going to accomplish it's goal? But this is the gov't we're dealing with. IMHO the RFIDs make a lot more sense than taking off my shoes in the airport.
Hey, us non-retired techies still need the teats of the government! My ideas are all in the NFC/e-wallet/e-ID fields. Then when the new tech bombs, I'll sell the fixes as well.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:13 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm View Post
Hey, us non-retired techies still need the teats of the government! My ideas are all in the NFC/e-wallet/e-ID fields. Then when the new tech bombs, I'll sell the fixes as well.
Nice pun!
Old 02-26-2009, 08:08 PM   #19

phish and chips ?
Old 02-26-2009, 10:13 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
phish and chips ?
Phish and String Cheese