Join Early Retirement Today

Belize
Old 10-01-2012, 08:37 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Belize

Anyone been to Belize on vacation recently ? Planning to go next spring (April).....any do's / don'ts....favorite places or places to avoid. Favorite hotels ? What's the best way to have a great time and get the most bang for your buck ?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2012, 08:27 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've never been to Belize, but I know that a popular extension is to go over the border to Tikal, which is fantastic.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:12 AM   #3

We've been quite a few times and have a friend living there now. It is a great country, easy to get to, and around. Highly recommended. Ditto on travelover's tip about going over to Tikal.

Lots of folks go to Ambergris Cay, but my vote is for the south, specifically Placencia area. A favorite itinerary would be fly into Belize City and go straight to either San Ignacio near the Guatemalan border, take a day or so to see Tikal and the sights around San Ignacio (maybe stay in one of the nice lodges there), then head down by car to the southern coastal areas. Punta Gorda is interesting, but I'd make Placencia my home base.

I can get you some more specific recommendations by PM from my buddy who lives just across the river from Placencia as you get closer to launch, if you wind up that direction.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:16 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We spent a week with family and friends in January last year at Banana Beach in San Pedro, Ambergris Caye (pronounced "key") to see Jerry Jeff Walker give a couple of shows:
Ambergris Caye Resort – Banana Beach Resort Belize
It was owned by a Canadian family (probably still is).
Rent a golf cart.
Swim with the sharks (not me, thank you).
Go snorkeling. Take a sailing cruise.
Beaches are nice, but there is a lot of marine grass in the shallow water, so swimming off the beach ain't so much fun.
Eat! Drink! Take in some live music. Walk your legs off.
Fly in to Belize City, take a puddle jumper to San Pedro. Make sure you make connections in the same airport (there are two in town).
(Do not stay in Belize City. Rough town.)
There are some good videos on YouTube of San Pedro. It is a beach town. You run out of things to do after a couple of weeks. But a great place to chill out.
It should be plenty warm and humid when you get there.
Enjoy!
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:09 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
We've been quite a few times and have a friend living there now. It is a great country, easy to get to, and around. Highly recommended. Ditto on travelover's tip about going over to Tikal.

Lots of folks go to Ambergris Cay, but my vote is for the south, specifically Placencia area. A favorite itinerary would be fly into Belize City and go straight to either San Ignacio near the Guatemalan border, take a day or so to see Tikal and the sights around San Ignacio (maybe stay in one of the nice lodges there), then head down by car to the southern coastal areas. Punta Gorda is interesting, but I'd make Placencia my home base.
We've been to Belize three times. I think Sarah's advice is very good. Placencia was actually our favorite spot (check out Barnacle Bill's rental cabins........great spot, if they are still in business). We also spent some time at a lodge near San Ignacio, and we loved that as well (the interior of Belize is very different from the coast, as you might expect). One place I would avoid - Caye Caulker. Lots of petty thieves there.......I could sense that we were being checked out as we walked around in town, and our rental unit was broken into not long after that. I lost my wallet (and lots of cash), among other things. I would not go back to C.C.. Ambergris Caye is touristy, but worth visiting for a day or two. We had no problems there. You will probably fly into Belize City (as we did), but I wouldn't stay long there either.........kind of a rough place, from all reports.