Join Early Retirement Today

Besides here in the US, what place in the world will you retire?
Old 12-02-2011, 05:43 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Besides here in the US, what place in the world will you retire?

I'm 25 years old and I'm trying to keep my options open in terms of retirement. Let's say you're settled for life, you're made, and money is not a problem. Your family is here in the US but for some reason, you don't want to retire here. Where else in the world will you go and retire? Thanks for those who will answer.
charliebromley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2011, 06:03 AM   #2
Administrator

Hi charliebromley, welcome to the forum. Feel free to stop by here to tell us a little about yourself.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:31 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Australia! Immigrate with your family when they are young so you won't be needing a long flight to see your grandchildren.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:38 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Mexico, India, Italy, New Zealand, Costa Rica....maybe all
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliebromley View Post
I'm 25 years old and I'm trying to keep my options open in terms of retirement. Let's say you're settled for life, you're made, and money is not a problem. Your family is here in the US but for some reason, you don't want to retire here. Where else in the world will you go and retire? Thanks for those who will answer.
Whatever that reason is, it will most likely have a significant bearing on how you decide your destination. Care to tell us your reason?
Old 12-02-2011, 10:14 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

For me it's the UK, but I'm a dual UK/US citizen so that's a bit obvious. For another country it would probably be Eire, although anywhere in the EU would be in play because of healthcare.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:14 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Not enough information.

If you are looking into the future, the world is changing too fast. It is changing beyond recognition every decade--literally--and the pace is accelerating.

Do not expect to go to one place and stay for the rest of your life--even in the USA--in your working life or in retirement/financial independence phase.

Be aware that some places you may want to go to will not let you stay (e.g., Canada, New Zealand, most of Europe, etc etc).

Like MichaelB, Kramer, HaHa and others here, I have been many places around the world. All that said, first choice for my wife and me is still the USA--if we can afford it!! Survival will be excitement enough. We don't need discos in Torremolinos or climbing the Himalayas. You might.

I have a list of places where I would like to spend extended periods of time after I hang up the slide rule, which is in a couple of years. Having good genes, we could last another 30 years.

For us, Mexico is the second choice (only a few locations and with reservations). The next group includes Belize and maybe four South American countries. The third group includes Turkish Cyprus and maybe Portugal or Spain. Mexico and Belize have the advantage of being close to home.

If we had the money, we would go back to Denmark in a flash.

You can have Asia, India, Africa and Newark. Been there.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:56 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I agree about Denmark.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:10 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

It's changed over the years and will probably continue to change, but Germany (lived there for 4 years and loved it), Switzerland, Austria, Italy, New Zealand, Singapore, the UK, Bali come to mind. I'd like to visit China and India (maybe 6-12 months in each), but not live there.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:15 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Western/Northern Europe for me, Switzerland or France probably, southern Germany maybe. I have family in that part of the world and the proper paperwork to make it a real possibility.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:17 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
You mentioned in your intro post that you're looking for a girlfriend--go visit some places you think you might like and when you find the place you like best, start flirting!
Old 12-02-2011, 11:27 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Cook Islands. Forever
Old 12-02-2011, 12:23 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Lately I've gotten a fascination with Aruba. Back in early November, I went there with some friends for a week, and kinda fell in love. Dunno what it would be like to live there 24/7, but I sure wouldn't mind going back!
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:28 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
Australia! Immigrate with your family when they are young so you won't be needing a long flight to see your grandchildren.
+1

I would spend May-Oct in New England and Nov-Apr in Australia. Only spent 3 weeks there once about 12 year ago, but I loved the place.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:19 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

As someone has already said, this world is changing too fast so better not plan anything today as if writing in the stone.

In today's world, my preference would be, Sweden, lived there for a decade, absolutely brilliant place if you take crappy weather.
Eire, another spot but with stupid politicians I don't know how they will take this country to the 3rd world.
Italy, language will be a BIG issue here but again same comment as for Eire.
France and Switzerland, a big NO NO, unless you are white and in good health. Racism is super rampant. I had such a bad experience in Switzerland as a tourist that I am not for those countries.
India, a good place to retire but they are implementing US healthcare model slowly so if you are not in good health and the great politicians of India, you will have to re-weigh your option.
New Zealand, I am seriously considering this one. Never heard anything bad about it, just if you can stand long flights.
noelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:57 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I experienced extended stays in both New Zealand and Australia, prefer the latter. The south island of New Zealand is much like the Pacific NW, which I love. What I didn't like was their attitude about their first people. Australia is far from perfect in that regard but NZealders that I met were very condescending.

One think I heard from the locals was: NZ was settled by people who came here to do good, AU by castoffs from British prisons*. AU got the best of it. *Most of those prisoners were indigents because Britain had full debtors prisons.

Generally speaking the economy of AU is stronger than NZ.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:33 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

New Orleans.

But you will have to take lessions locally so you can learnt ta talk rite and live to eat.

heh heh heh - be prepared for a period of cultural shock when you first arrive.

They keep trying to make it part of the US. . I shall return once the snow hits Kansas City.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:47 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

My compromise was Hawaii. Yes, it's still the USA but it ain't America. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:00 PM   #19
Administrator

Quote:
I think choosing only one place to live is like choosing one food to eat forever. It's a fun game but not real life, and if it were, would be boring as heck. If you're "set" as you say, why choose at all? Find a place convenient to a large int'l airport, such as JFK, LAX, SFO or and travel. That way you get to see lots of different places. Live in a small condo, easy to shut down for long periods, and then take long trips.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:35 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
You mentioned in your intro post that you're looking for a girlfriend--go visit some places you think you might like and when you find the place you like best, start flirting!
That would work better than most ideas. Search this forum for posts by Trek, who went to Estonia.

I repeat: you cannot just move some place and stay there because you want to. Every country that I am aware of has a limit on how long one can legally stay in their country. Some Latin American countries in practice allow border runs every 3 months or so to restart the clock, but they could start enforcing the rule any time. Mexico and Belize have the easiest residency rules I know of. NZ for sure does not want you to stay. If you are older than 35, Australia will not take you either, although I understand that an engineer can work there under certain circumstances.

Anyone considering this should look very carefully before he leaps.