Best and worst cruise destinations

I want the ship's navigation crew to be comprised of responsible seamen and women.

I guess, (from what I read at the time), the Captain gave the order....and, as the saying goes, "The boss may not always be right, but he's always the boss".

A real quandary for the crew members.

I guess, (from what I read at the time), the Captain gave the order....and, as the saying goes, "The boss may not always be right, but he's always the boss".

A real quandary for the crew members.

The tape of the Italian Coast Guardsman yelling at the captain to get back to his ship was amazing. There is something unforgettable about hearing an enraged Italian talking at lightning speed.

https://youtu.be/hz4M0JCznAc

Last edited:
Who did you sail with ? We just placed a deposit on a 10 night Greek Island Cruise for October 4, 2021 out of Venice.

We booked through Gate 1 Travel, a company we've taken several land tours and a couple of river trips with. This was different, they simply blocked about 50 rooms on the ship and provided the shore guides. Gate 1 and the cruise line (Celestyal Cruises) both did a good job, the problem was the crowds ashore.

If you don't mind crowds, the scenery is beautiful.

The tape of the Italian Coast Guardsman yelling at the captain to get back to his ship was amazing. There is something unforgettable about hearing an enraged Italian talking at lightning speed.

https://youtu.be/hz4M0JCznAc

I remember that.....and the Captain attempting to obfuscate and protect his butt.

Thanks for the tip. I hadn't heard that before and had my hopes up. But I just checked Royal Caribbean, which owns Silversea (my fav). The stock is selling at $131, near its 52-week high. So 100 shares is $13,000. You can buy a lot of onboard extras with that kind of money. Plus, RCL is paying a puny dividend.

I bought and kept my 100 shares when it was a lot lower than that. :)

But prior to having my "permanent holdings", when the stock was too high for my liking, I bought 100 shares, got the benefit, took the cruise and then sold the shares for a profit.

I distinctly remember one time I sold the shares prior to the cruise (for a cruise line that does not care) and made $400, when I got back from the cruise I saw that if I had waited until after the cruise I would have made over $1,000 :facepalm:

Nope. The website is not an ad and it's working fine. You might have mis-typed it.

The key for me on any cruise is very few sea days, and that's what I look for with repositioning cruises. We did an 11-day cruise last year on Silversea from Athens to Nice, with stops in the Greek Islands, Italy and the French Rivera. One sea day, 10 days of port calls and lots of pampering the whole time.

Nope, I copied what you posted and it goes to an ad website which is for sale by Voodoo.com.
Click on the red banner on the right hand corner and you will see it takes you to the purchase page.

Notice how all the cruise links are in a box, so they can do millions like this via an algorithm.

Attachments

• 2020_01_22_23:32:09_001.png
    2020_01_22_23:32:09_001.png
    229.3 KB · Views: 67
My bride and I use the Apocalypse Now strategy of "Don't get off the boat". We stopped getting of the ship years ago. A few hours in a port city seemed too short to enjoy. Now we just look for ships going to warm sunny climates (in our price range) and go. It's basically an all inclusive resort that floats.

We avoid Carnival because they've become bottom of the line for amenity's, food and entertainment. Also the age of the average passenger is about 22.

We avoid Carnival because they've become bottom of the line for amenity's, food and entertainment. Also the age of the average passenger is about 22.

We were docked next to a Carnival ship in Cancun. We watched the passengers disembark and could not believe the tattoos and the piercings, and that was just on the females:(

We have cruise with people that take the same cruise multiple times and don’t get off the ship. That makes no sense to me. I look forward to the ports and like to take different cruises. I have heard horror stories about carnival from people we have met on Royal Caribbean.

For us, getting off the ship and seeing something interesting like Rome, Pisa, Pompeii, really makes the cruise valuable and worthwhile.
In the Caribbean it is harder to find interesting and worthwhile things to see, and we have done a lot of Caribbean cruises as they are quick and easy.

To me, going on a cruise and staying on the ship the entire time, would be like staying in a hotel for a week, incredibly boring.

We've hit Caribbean ports on transatlantics, (east & west), when we're heading to, or coming from, somewhere else.......we disembark, walk around, get back on the ship.

T-shirts & taxis. No thanks.

We just returned from our Uncruise in the Sea of Cortez. We thoroughly enjoyed it, The food was excellent, as were all the activities. The crew were professional, personable, and efficient. I really like the small boat atmosphere. It was easy to get to know almost all of the passengers who were a like minded outgoing lot. It is refreshing that the captain can change plans on a moments notice to accomodate wind and waves. No way you can do that on a standard cruise.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Attachments

• P1300341.jpg
    P1300341.jpg
    544.5 KB · Views: 50
  • P1300299.jpg
    P1300299.jpg
    508 KB · Views: 53
  • P1270111.jpg
    P1270111.jpg
    713.4 KB · Views: 51
We just returned from our Uncruise in the Sea of Cortez. We thoroughly enjoyed it, The food was excellent, as were all the activities. The crew were professional, personable, and efficient. I really like the small boat atmosphere. It was easy to get to know almost all of the passengers who were a like minded outgoing lot. It is refreshing that the captain can change plans on a moments notice to accommodate wind and waves. No way you can do that on a standard cruise.

I'm so glad you enjoyed it! It's not for everyone but for those of us who are "like-minded", it's the best way to go.

We just returned from our Uncruise in the Sea of Cortez. We thoroughly enjoyed it, The food was excellent, as were all the activities. The crew were professional, personable, and efficient. I really like the small boat atmosphere. It was easy to get to know almost all of the passengers who were a like minded outgoing lot. It is refreshing that the captain can change plans on a moments notice to accomodate wind and waves. No way you can do that on a standard cruise.

Nice photos, what camera did you use ?

Nice photos, what camera did you use ?
It was an Olympus TG6. I just bought it for a Grand Canyon raft trip. It came in handy on this spur of the moment cruise. I first looked at an Panasonic Lumix - the only compact underwater camera with an electronic viewfinder. But the Lumix has substandard focus so I went with the Olympus.

That is such a great place to visit! Glad you got to snorkel with the sealions. I imagine the water was quite cold!

That is such a great place to visit! Glad you got to snorkel with the sealions. I imagine the water was quite cold!
The water was about 68 or 69 but they gave us full wet suits. Decades ago that would have been more than enough but our aging bodies were pretty cold by the end of each swim. It always surprises me how cold 70 degree water feels now. When I was a kid swimming in Lake Michigan we looked forward to late summer when the water reached 70 degrees and we could splash around in comfort.

The first cruise that I agreed to do was Alaska, because they tend to go to areas that you cannot reach/see from land. It was great.

It always surprises me how cold 70 degree water feels now.

Back when I was in Riyadh I wouldn't swim in the pool until the water temp hit 100 F. :LOL:

The water was about 68 or 69 but they gave us full wet suits. Decades ago that would have been more than enough but our aging bodies were pretty cold by the end of each swim. It always surprises me how cold 70 degree water feels now. When I was a kid swimming in Lake Michigan we looked forward to late summer when the water reached 70 degrees and we could splash around in comfort.

Well I was snorkeling with the sealions in that water at 68 deg in a shortie wetsuit, and I did it as long as I could stand before my ears were soooooo cold!

Hopefully you saw a bunch of whales.

Last edited:
Well I was snorkeling with the sealions in that water at 68 deg in a shortie wetsuit, and I did it as long as I could stand before my ears were soooooo cold!

Hopefully you saw a bunch of whales.
We saw lots of gray wales. We were too early for humpbacks.

Attachments

• P1290211.jpg
    P1290211.jpg
    514.7 KB · Views: 27
  • P1290235.jpg
    P1290235.jpg
    430.6 KB · Views: 25
  • P1290245.jpg
    P1290245.jpg
    524.7 KB · Views: 26
Has anyone taken a Viking ocean cruise? My kids found a good sale but is wondering if the extra cost is worth it. Good and bad about the ocean cruises anyone?

Back
Top Bottom