best beach?

Joebloe, how does Siesta Key (FL) compare to the likes of Grace Bay and Eagle Beach? Both in terms of beach and water quality, and the general atmosphere. It would be easier and often cheaper to stay in the country, but so far the closest I've seen to the Caribbean beach quality is the Miami area, and that's definitely not our cup of tea.

The sand quality and whiteness at Siesta Key is superior to anywhere in the carribean. I actually got held back at airport security 30min cause my water bottle contained sand so powdery white like cocaine, TSA didn't believe it was sand. The water can be somewhat clear one day or green murky/cloudy another. Water color and clearness in Grace Bay is mesmerizing so nothing can even compare. Eagle Beach is always 80 degree with 15mph breeze year round and never any hurricane threat. I ended up in Aruba four times last year mixed in between Cancun and Providenciales, cause airfares/hotels/food was cheaper than going to Florida. If airfare into SRQ is $200 and the Ritz Carlton Sarasota is $150 per nite with breakfast, Siesta Key is worth a visit. Now I just want to go swimming with the pigs in the Bahamas.

Last edited:
Pilar Beach on Cayo Coco, Cuba was truly amazing. I'd highly recommend it. However the beaches in front of the majority of the resorts was average at best. You had to travel about an hour on bus to get to Pilar. Worth the trip though ... twice :D

Our pick would be Veradero, Cuba.

I'm a big fan of the Cancun area beaches as well. From our city (DC) it's a three hour non-stop flight. Cancun itself is pretty awful, but there are beaches just south of it that are lower key and not surrounded by high-rise resorts, bars named after amphibians and Outback Steakhouses.

There's also Isla Mujeres, which is a ferry ride away from Cancun but a world apart in terms of pace. Not much going on on the island but great food and warm water. We like North Beach on Isla. There are vendors occasionally, but not like Cancun.

Last edited:
Trunk Bay beach, St. John, Orient Beach St. Thomas :) Those would be my choices!

We have gone to the Cancun area for years and kept going further south. Our last trip there was at Akumal Bay and the beach was great. But our last vacation we went to Aruba instead and that beach was outstanding.

My favorite beach is Playa Guiones in Guanacaste Costa Rica. It's not pretty white sand like Florida or the Bahamas, and the water is not turquoise, but it's out in the middle of nowhere so it's not too touristy, has no buildings screwing up the view, and the surf is great year round.

In fact, I'm still planning on living there for 3-6 months out of the year, one of these years............

http://www.welovecostarica.com/public/images/1710c.jpg

Last edited:
My favorite beaches on this side of the world are located in the Dominican Republic, especially Punta Cana.

I'm not a beach person anymore (skin cancer is not my friend) although I used to lifeguard on a beach in my younger years. I have yet to find the expense worth the travel to a beach other than the wide, clean, lightly populated beach at the end of my street here in north Florida.

The Florida panhandle, however, has some beautiful sugar white sand beaches that are beautiful.

I've only seen Caribbean beaches via a number of cruises and so far none have impressed me. I suppose you really have to spend few more dollars and time to fly then drive and take a boat to more remote places to get away from the crowds. But I would think that you give up comfortable places to eat and sleep. There is going to be a trade off of some kind.

Cheers!

All depends on what you are looking for. When I run away from home, my wife knows to find me at Salt Pond Bay, St. John, USVI. Certainly not the easiest place to get to, but it's calm, with usually very few people, about a half mile walk from the parking lot. My definition of paradise. Plus, it's close to Skinny Legs, which is the second place she'd look.

Orient Beach specifics?

A lot of folks have mentioned Orient Beach in St. Martin. Any specific recommendations as far as accomodations? The Mount Vernon/Mont Vernon properties look like a great value, but I'd rather be closer to the beach.

Bondi Beach, for the location, the sand, the waves and the scenery.

We're kind of partial to Antigua. Although they have 365 beaches, we have only been to 2 (Valley Church and Dickenson)....both beautiful and never crowded.

But a lot does depend on whether you are looking for a crowd and activities, great snorkeling, or just tranquility..... In any case, there are so many beautiful beaches in the Caribbean.

Leaving next week to test out a few more :dance:

Unpaintedhuffhines said:
All depends on what you are looking for. When I run away from home, my wife knows to find me at Salt Pond Bay, St. John, USVI. Certainly not the easiest place to get to, but it's calm, with usually very few people, about a half mile walk from the parking lot. My definition of paradise. Plus, it's close to Skinny Legs, which is the second place she'd look.

That is definitely true.. The beaches I love now, I would have been bored to death 20 years ago when I "craved action". I hear Skinny Legs is a great place to eat (drink) and Salt Pond a good beach place to go to. I have vacationed at St. John many a time, and never been to that side of the island, except for a brief taxi tour. I need to make sure we go over there this year when we go again.

The Florida panhandle, however, has some beautiful sugar white sand beaches that are beautiful.
+1

When the water is right (meaning no man o war, no seaweed and other assorted vegetation,) these beaches can't be beat.

Back
Top Bottom