Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-31-2009, 05:56 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I live in Virginia - fall is my favorite season. The beauty of the leaves, a little nip in the air, and the urge to have a cup of hot chocolate with lots of marshmallows.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2009, 06:18 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

April-May and October-November.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:02 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I heard the other day that we are sending you "North Americans" an "El Nino" this year. You may want to adjust your seasonal travel plans accordingly!
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:19 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEXPAT View Post
I heard the other day that we sending you "Northerners" an "El Nino" this year. You may want to adjust your seasonal travel plans accordingly!
Just as a friendly aside - - in the South, at least, whether or not someone is a "Northerner" has absolutely nothing to do with that person's geographic location. This is a perfect illustration of that fact.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:48 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Just as a friendly aside - - in the South, at least, whether or not someone is a "Northerner" has absolutely nothing to do with that person's geographic location. This is a perfect illustration of that fact.
Duly noted and corrected. In South America, people "bristle" when people from the USA refer to themselves as Americans! It's not always easy to be PC.
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:54 PM   #26

Around here, the only good months are June and July. June is (usually) warm and green. July is the only month I've never seen snow sn*w
Old 07-31-2009, 03:53 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Fall, Summer, Spring & Winter in that order up here in Chicagoland. September is my favorite month, cooler and more breeze (for sailing). Nothing beats a breezy crisp fall day with blue skies, a few cumulus clouds and all the trees turning color. October ain't bad either, but a little less predictable. Winter is awful, March is almost unbearable (cabin fever).

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:36 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Yes, my ex-GF from Houma, LA would get upset when the Aussies referred to her as a Yank.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:24 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
What’s your favorite season where you live? Everywhere I’ve lived, Sept. and Oct. are warm, the tourists are gone, kids are back in school, the water is warm, the leaves turn. Some people here like rainy days in November because they signal snow on the ski slopes. What’s the best month to travel to your area?
Favorite season is anytime but November through March.
Best month to travel to upstate NY is definitely June-October. You get the full range of temps and precipitation, none in the extreme.
My favorite time personally is very late August, just before Labor Day, when everyone is in the stores scurrying to get ready for school and not crowding the public parks and lakes. Temps are still in the 80s and rain is infrequent.
Second favorite is fall, when the trees are ablaze, the days mild and the nights cool. Harvest time is directly experienced out here in the country.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ATT00052.jpg (24.7 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Delta_0032.jpg (1.01 MB, 0 views)
Old 08-01-2009, 05:53 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

November to April is the most temperate in my part of Thailand and is the high-tourist season, but I prefer May to September when it rains at night and the golf courses are empty.