Join Early Retirement Today

Best Season?
Old 07-30-2009, 11:26 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Best Season?

What’s your favorite season where you live? Everywhere I’ve lived, Sept. and Oct. are warm, the tourists are gone, kids are back in school, the water is warm, the leaves turn. Some people here like rainy days in November because they signal snow on the ski slopes. What’s the best month to travel to your area?
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2009, 11:39 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
What’s the best month to travel to your area?
October through February, when the temps are usually below 100 (but not always - we hit 100 in February of 1996).
Old 07-30-2009, 11:51 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Late fall after the kiddies are in school and the temps are moderate. This is also before the winter snowbirds clog the roadways and enjoy the warmth and harsh winter escape.

My favorite season is fall (where they have the seasons) with crisp mornings and mother natures art displayed for all to enjoy.
crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:56 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy connie View Post
My favorite season is fall (where they have the seasons) with crisp mornings and mother natures art displayed for all to enjoy.
Me too, I love the smell of burning leaves. Or is that my PF?
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:08 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

March and April, assuming we've had enough rain for a nice wildflower season. The problem is that this immediately leads into the six month season known as "summer."
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:19 PM   #6
Dryer sheet wannabe

Winter in southern Arizona - highs in the mid-60's to 70's, lows in the 30's and 40's. Sunny.

August in northern Arizona. Summer rainfall has brought out the wildflowers and grass, the wildlife seems most abundant. Sunny mornings, warming to the mid-80's, then clouding up in the afternoon with a chance for a thunderstorm. Negative aspect is maximum tourists. September is also nice, after the monsoon ends. Crisp mornings and sunny afternoons in the mid-70's. Tourists are largely gone, but hunting seasons start.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:31 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

October is consistently beautiful in New Orleans, and generally considered to be the best month to visit.

But really I like all of the months except August and September, when the heat and hurricane threats get to be a little tiresome.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:32 PM   #8

Anytime the weather is warm enough to go outside without a heavy jacket and gloves.

Usually that's from late April to mid-November, but sometimes extends to early December. Except for the Harper's Ferry area we don't have any issues with tourists and we stay away from there during the summer.

High temperatures don't bother me - I don't come out of long sleeves until the temperature hits 80 F - but I would rather be someplace where I'll never see snow again.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:56 PM   #9

I love the fall best here in western PA. But summer has suited me immensely,too. On the cool side. Very comfortable for walking and I have also saved on the air conditioning.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 02:07 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

July 28.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 02:15 PM   #11

Dec-April (our summer) constant sunshine 75-85 and nary a raindrop! June to November (our winter) 55-65 some sun, a lot of fog. Wall to Wall tourists, still no rain, but a nice misting every other day!
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 02:22 PM   #12
Gone but not forgotten

My favorite time in Florida is late October and November . The tourists haven't arrived and the beaches are perfect . I miss fall up north so I usually visit it every year. This year we will be spending some fall days in Boston and Maine .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 02:23 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
October through February, when the temps are usually below 100 (but not always - we hit 100 in February of 1996).
What he said except we don't hit 100 until April or so.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:59 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

There's a retired guy at the old doughnut shop that can't wait til really cold freezing weather so he can trap and make pelts - of several kinds. I think he had an office job before retirement. Strange hobby.

Me closing in on fours years post Katrina(30 yrs New Orleans) can't make up my mind whether I truly love snow yet - like my youth outside Seattle, Denver when I could still snow ski.

Snowmobile - Kansas City? Nope I don't think so.

heh heh heh - I'll take October til I change my mind. .
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 03:06 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Until this year, my favorite season was July 4 - August 15. We usually have nice days on and off the entire year.

Now, not sure. Maybe if the stores restock I will buy one of those portable AC machines. I won't need it until next year, and may not even then but I imagine I will use it more if I do have it. Not very efficient, but better than nothing.

Ha
Old 07-30-2009, 03:07 PM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
July 28.
Between 3 and 5 PM, eh?
Old 07-30-2009, 03:30 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
Winter in southern Arizona - highs in the mid-60's to 70's, lows in the 30's and 40's. Sunny.

August in northern Arizona. Summer rainfall has brought out the wildflowers and grass, the wildlife seems most abundant. Sunny mornings, warming to the mid-80's, then clouding up in the afternoon with a chance for a thunderstorm. Negative aspect is maximum tourists. September is also nice, after the monsoon ends. Crisp mornings and sunny afternoons in the mid-70's. Tourists are largely gone, but hunting seasons start.
Arizona does have a wonderful variety of weather and terrain. We were there in June and experienced some unusual extremes in the space of a few hours. At noon, I was at 11,500 feet above sea level at the top of the ski area chair lift in the mountains north of Flagstaff. Temperature 56 deg. F

2 1/2 hours later we were in Sedona, temperature 91 deg. F! Had we continued driving south for a few more hours, we would have been treated to 105+ deg. in Phoenix!

Our home area (eastern Washington State) is especially nice in the late spring from mid-April to mid-June. Everything is green from the winter snow melt followed by the spring rains. By July, the heat comes on, followed by the smoke and haze from dozens of forest fires in the region.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:41 PM   #18
Dryer sheet wannabe

Yep, at this moment (3:36 pm) it is 105 F in Phoenix and 63 F in Flagstaff. 42 degree difference, and Flagstaff is only 7,000' and at the base of the San Francisco Peaks.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:21 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Just left Phoenix last week on my drive back to Illinois. It was a little below 100 when I left at 9am, went through Flagstaff where it was a cool 80. Then hit Utah at 106. Then into the 50's in Colorado.

Best season in Az - winter (November through April)
Best season in Il - fall (September, October)
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:25 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

September, October and the first half of November. Weather is still pleasant, usually decent amount of sun and you get the bounty of harvest followed by all the colors in the trees.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote